is Pennzoil Platinum still the favorite?

1) Mobil 1 2) Valvoline Advanced 3) Pennzoil Platinum 4) Quaker State Synthetic would be my order with 0W20 oils but the margin is closer together in #2 thru #4 .

I'm still running PP and it's still very much a viable option. In my truck I was using it up until RGT became all the rage but then Pennzoil dropped it and it was a great oil but they marketed it pretty much for only trucks and suvs. I believe had they went for everything with a gasoline engine that used those viscosities then it would still be around today. It is very similar to the QS which is also cheaper.

I really liked PP before the pure plus change, myself along with others had experienced higher consumption after the switch. I have really been wanting to try their Euro oil as it's really on the thick side within grade but haven't changed it yet and I really need to get it done. I also have a couple jugs of the Valvoline version as well but have to order online so it's harder to get than just walking right into WM and getting the Pennzoil.

I have been using TGMO for the past 10 years on my 2013 Camry. It's got to a point that the dealership is not willing to give me discount anymore. So I need to get back to 0w20 oils that I can buy from Walmart. Is Pennzoil platinum still the favorite in our community? Thanks.
For anyone who might be interested, I tallied up results of this thread throughout 2022 and finished it up this morning. The results are fairly accurate, but not exact, my eyes start crossing after awhile going through everyones submissions, but I enjoy seeing the results none the less! There seemed to me a lot more obscure oils used last year, as well as some decent love for HPL. Mobil as always is the preferred choice around here. It's interesting to see the trends in preference from year to year. Happy and Healthy New Year to all the BITOG members, make sure your oil catch cans are properly positioned in 2023 😁

308: Mobil/Delvac
155: Pennzoil
146: Vavoline
145: Castrol
108: Quaker State
70: SuperTech
51 : Shell
40: Havoline
40: Napa
37: Kirkland
35: Frankenblend
33: High Performance Lubricants
32: Amsoil
24: STP
21: Motorcraft
18: Fram
18: Schaeffer
15: Chevron/Delo
15: Liqui Moly
11: Car Quest
8: AC Delco
8: Red Line
8: Toyota/Lexus
7: Citgo
6: O'Reilly
5: Ravenol
*Less than 5 not tallied, but there was approxmently 50 brands that were used less than 5 times. Most were just used 1 time.*

For anyone who might be interested, I tallied up results of this thread throughout 2022 and finished it up this morning. The results are fairly accurate, but not exact, my eyes start crossing after awhile going through everyones submissions, but I enjoy seeing the results none the less! There seemed to me a lot more obscure oils used last year, as well as some decent love for HPL. Mobil as always is the preferred choice around here. It's interesting to see the trends in preference from year to year. Happy and Healthy New Year to all the BITOG members, make sure your oil catch cans are properly positioned in 2023 😁

308: Mobil/Delvac
155: Pennzoil
146: Vavoline
145: Castrol
108: Quaker State
70: SuperTech
51 : Shell
40: Havoline
40: Napa
37: Kirkland
35: Frankenblend
33: High Performance Lubricants
32: Amsoil
24: STP
21: Motorcraft
18: Fram
18: Schaeffer
15: Chevron/Delo
15: Liqui Moly
11: Car Quest
8: AC Delco
8: Red Line
8: Toyota/Lexus
7: Citgo
6: O'Reilly
5: Ravenol
*Less than 5 not tallied, but there was approxmently 50 brands that were used less than 5 times. Most were just used 1 time.*
Really the Mobil 1 is a one size fits all deal, they've been at the top of their game for so long now. In the last 10-20 yrs the other companies have really upped theirs and it's no so much of a difference today between any of them. I'd still be running it if cost wasn't an issue, in my experience it's always been more expensive compared to other options than can do the same.

Welp - there's 6 different favorite oils here.

The Quaker State because it's a buck cheaper crowd.

The Mobil 1 in it's various flavors crowd. The 0W-40 members have special gold cards in that crowd.

The boutique crowd, mostly HPL with a few AMSOIL/Redline supporting members

The BMW/VW certs crowd.

The Euro crowd, which is not to be confused with the certs crowd.

I'm in the 6th crowd. That is the 'it's all good oil' crowd, though we each have our favorites. Mine is Penz Ultra Platinum in the black label bottle. There is a Penz Platinum silver label also that is a bit more reminiscent of the Penzoil Ultra Plat with Pure Plus that WAS the favorite for quite a while.

There's a fringe group that loves Rotella. We tried driving them off with pitchforks but they are crafty little guerillas.

(just kidding Rotella crowd!)
I f'ed up my totes super fantastic post and nobody called me out.

Ya'll is a buncha slack a$$ slackers!

My oil is NOT the black label Penz, which is NOT the Ultraz Platz. I had them bass ackwards. The black label is stupid yucky regular synthetic.

I'll be honest though, I was going to switch it up and use some Euro shiznit. My stash was out of it in big jugs. I then looked for 0/40 Mobil. Out of that in big jugs in all flavors. Jesus - next I'll be running hundred buck oil for 30k intervals*. I gotta clear my cookies and take a break from this forum!

I had to go to my go-to stash which is separated from Mobil by Castrol, Valvoline, and this funky Mobil advertised as "great for MPG and AMAZING for hybrids", obviously some counterfeit shiz, and get a new 5qt jug of Ultra silver label (which was on rollback to 23.97, same as the regular Penz syn). I was tempted to wait until tomorrow and go on my break to my Wal M, I mean stash close to where I work and see if they had Euro shiz, but then I'd have to wait another week and next weekend I'm busy....

* yes, I fully acknowledge that the $100 oil is more than likely the best oil and can likely go 30k. But not in my 2.7 TT which I know gets some fuel dilution.

I wanted PUP but can’t get it easily. For PP I am taken aback by the bare minimum Moly and zero boron.

I am happy buying my Mobil 1 at walmart in the 5 qt jugs for all my cars , all 3 take different weights and they carry them all

I was a PP advocate from 2007-2022 back when I had my Acura RSX Type-S and Ford Focus ST, running around 12000-13000 between oil changes, supported by UOAs. Purchased a 2023 Kona N-Line 1.6T back in November 2022. So far in with 16,000 km on the odometer, I've only been doing 8000 km oil changes per manual due to potential fuel dilution. Despite this, I haven't had any problems with fuel dilution at all after one UOA.

With reduced oil change intervals to 8000km on the Kona, I think I'm happy with any 0W-30 Dexos 1 Gen3 certified oil. That would include PP; although I'm open to any others including Canadian Tire OEPlus, Costco/Kirkland, QS, Castrol, M1 etc. if on sale.

Pennzoil Platinum is not as much of a highly praised lubricant as it used to be on the forum.
It's funny that on another post most of the people seem to like it. Many claiming to use it. It's okay I buy oil on sale most of the time and I don't even mind using semi-synthetic oil. I buy Quaker State and Chevron really cheap from Walmart for my truck.

I think Pennzoil Platinum is the darling of this site. I bought some after reading about how good it is here. Plus videos on YT. Wallyworld had it for 23.00. Plus the idea of someone making enough natural gas to create oil is mighty impressive. I've eaten a lot of beans and can't figure out how they do it.
Shell utilizes otherwise flared gas from the North Field in Qatar. It’s an enormous amount of methane.

Ask them if they are making a profit however.

Like some folks posted, my go-to oils are "whatever is on sale / rebate" - have jugs of PP, M1 and Castrol in our garage. I only used Redline for my manual tranny.

Back