Glad to see Gov. Cuomo is leading the nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Falken

Then there is the pedophiles, and how they are "people" too.

Not sure how dehumanizing criminals helps. I'd rather catch a pedophile/ mass shooter before they commit their first crime than punish them after the fact.

Fixing mental health is a little touchy-feely and "progressive" for many gun toting types, but would be a good deflection/ leadership position to take when public opinion turns sour towards guns. It would look like the NRA is "doing something" that's not digging in their own heels or escalating by adding armed guards/ cops to schools.

Originally Posted By: dirtydannyd
They did the same thing in Australia after the Port Arthur massacre. They banned high powered semi autos.

The reason Martin Bryant (Port Arthur shooter) killed so many people is directly related to the type of weapons he used, that being a semi automatics. Had he had bolt action rifles with 5 round magazines, not as many people would have died.

Farmers, recreational shooters, sports shooters can still shoot and own guns. They just can't own guns that have the capability of killing LOTS of people quickly. The only members of society that can carry those weapons are law enforcement and military.

FWIW, there hasn't been a mass shooting in Australia since these measures were introduced and people still own guns. Just not the rapid firing kind.

Port Arthur reeks for a number of reasons that I won't go too far into, other than PM with interested parties.

The AR15 that Bryant allegedly used was already illegal in 5 of the states, and was actually handed in during an amnesty, miraculously finding it's way into a mentally deranged person's hands, who was capable of killing more people than he fired bullets, inside an enclosed space.

Australian never had such a mass killing before, so the claim that there wasn't one after is suss at best, disingenuos at worst, and the very next mass killing was arson, which killed 15.

The "assault weapons were already illegal bar Northern Territory and Tasmania...that one had already been handed to authorities in another state...BTW the black market still has weapons that have been illegal forever somehow getting into criminal hands, and not through law abiding gun owners and theft, as is being vaunted on this site.

Glock .40s have never, ever been on sale to the public, but crooks seem to have their own line in ?

The otehr high powered semi autos that you speak of included 5 shot rimfire rabbit guns, and every other thing that they thought could be associated with "assault weapons" (semi auto, black, pump, blah blah).

Guess what happened to gun sales in Oz ?

They have never published what happened to ammo sales, and I bet I know the reason why.

People are being punched and stabbed. Not shot.

You are joking I hope, nearly every day in sydney, there's a shooting, or house shot up...and the firearms in use aren't obtained through legal ownership of any gun owner in Oz...the crooks have means...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sy...v-1226333898332

And with regards to your comment about "not being any highly publicized mass shootings" I would like to correct you on that. There are NO mass shootings. On the odd occasion where someone is shot (usually bikie gangs or criminal underworld) it's highly publicized.

Which makes the no shootings comment all the more strange...it's highly publicised, virtually daily, and the weapons were almost invariably obtained through mechanisms completely beyond "theft from a careless gun owner", as they've never been legal.

It's a matter of perspective really. Few people own guns here in Oz. Even fewer people carry them. Fewer still are hurt by them. People feel and are safer as a result.

Nobody can, or could "carry" in Australia now, or before Port Arthur. Firearms have never been allowed for self defence, with the exception of the likes of Kerry Packer and the elite.

As to fewer peaople are hurt by them, suicides are still up...with guns are down, and they use that statistic to demonstrate gun violence is down (in spite of the bikies).

As an organised sport, it's about the safest in the country, with insurance rates lower than any other...

Originally Posted By: Win
I do not intend to be led anywhere by Mr. Cuomo.

OMG, agreed.

That guy is nuts. He wants EVERYTHING outlawed even down to a large soda!

They banned high powered semi autos.

I always love how the 5.56x45 is called "high powered". But that's a cheetah of another stripe.

Shannow straightened you out on your facts, using the truth.

I merely suggest you read our entire Constitution and pay particular attention to the Bill of Rights. Also, there are portions that directly and indirectly mention not penalizing innocent people (without a trial) for the actions of the guilty. My owning of firearms has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do with some crazy insane criminal terrorist punk's actions. Period.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

OMG, agreed.

How about a Mumm Magnum ?

These sophisticates tend to think they are a level above the average punter.

OMG, agreed.

Quote:
....toughest gun assault weapon ban.....

He's FROTHING. These bat poop crazy D's are absolutely nuts on this, they just can't wait to take freedoms away from people. How about an assault on the 1st?? Next??

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If you outlaw guns, then only outlaws will have guns.

It's that simple.

And it's proven in Australia...

The types that the crims have, in many cases, have never been sold to civilians to be confiscated in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
How about an assault on the 1st?? Next??

The 1st amendment has already been obliterated by "modern" courts such that free exercise of religion is for all intents and purposes disallowed. "Separation of church and state" as taught to us today is 180 degrees from what it really meant 200 years ago. Few people realize that the US Capitol Building was Washington DC's largest church through most of the 1800s. American citizens don't know our own history and that's a cancer to our country.

It doesn't bother me any more. I'm just waiting for 1776 to happen again.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Obamas Chicago, and Cuomo's N.Y. have the most restrictive laws...AND the highest crime rates. Go figure.

That has been my point all along. Now with this shooting yesterday in California (another tight Gun law state mind you) with a shot gun they will probably add them to the ban list.

Crime is down overall. But thanks to social media and the internet, we know about nose bleeds in northern Montana. So it "seems like" there is more violence, when the reality is we are just better connected today.

As far as Coumo, not surprised. He sees a 32oz soft drink as a lethal weapon. Of course, our governor here sees a a "big gulp" as a threat also, plans to do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Falken
An idiot can get it in their head to rent an Econoline van and run over a crowd of people at a bus stop, lined up for a movie, or on a Black Friday.

You can buy a Samurai sword at a mall.

My buddy almost died at a strip club because he was nursing a beer and someone put green coolant into his beer bottle when he went to the washroom. He later complained of extreme nausea and a headache and "really feeling horrible" if I remember right (happened over 15 years ago).

Beside his beer bottle on the dark round tables there was a lime green glint off a wet streak near his beer bottle... Very, very malicious indeed.

I never bothered with the strip club scene after that. You don't tip enough, or the right people when you "should" or they try to poison you with coolant?? Sick.

Then there is the pedophiles, and how they are "people" too.

Please. This gun topic will never go away as long as there are idiots in America or despots that want to ruin your life.

How well is the gun ban in Mexico doing may I ask??

Gun ban in Mexico?? Havent' U heard...they got a huge fresh supply of assault weapons given to them by Eric Holder and BO via of our tax dollars and dead americans. Well, well, well now don't U progressives feel safe from this tyranical gobberment we have? These same "leaders" want to deprive us law abiding masses of our God given right...oh I don't think so. Wake up! (not directed at U Falken)

Last edited:
He said in his speech that "assault weapons" are not used for hunting. You have to love it when politicians talk in such vague and undefinable terms....

The fact of the matter is, and this really shows how ignorant the man is, that AR's are used for hunting all the time. They are very popular among varmint hunters for their light weight and accuracy.

I wonder if he and anyone else that receives taxpayer provided protection will insist on the same rules they wish upon the rest of us, to be applied to their security detail?

Of course the hypocritical answer will be no, because they are the special, enlightened ones that are "entitled" to "rights" that the general populace does not.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

OMG, agreed.

Quote:
....toughest gun assault weapon ban.....

He's FROTHING. These bat poop crazy D's are absolutely nuts on this, they just can't wait to take freedoms away from people. How about an assault on the 1st?? Next??

Hmm, funny you mention this. It's a lot of people on the other side whom want to lock down the internet and hand control of the internet and whats on it to Hollywood and the music industry. Remember SOPA? PIPA? Those would have been the first step to internet censorship, the last place where there is anything close to true free speech these days. And just as many if not more of the people with Rs after their names supported and pushed for it as Ds. Both sides are equally bad, but hey, let's cherry pick incidents to make my side look better, right? Also for the record, yes I support the legalization of pot, even if I will never touch it, and STRICTER control on access to guns. Note that I said STRICTER. I doubt there is anyone who would disagree that its' far too easy for crazy people to access guns.
Maybe an education program, or if necessary, law, to make sure people keep guns in their gunsafes, or must at least own gunsafes? How about make a background check REQUIRED to purchase a firearm. I don't think that is unreasonable, do you?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Obamas Chicago, and Cuomo's N.Y. have the most restrictive laws...AND the highest crime rates. Go figure.

That has been my point all along. Now with this shooting yesterday in California (another tight Gun law state mind you) with a shot gun they will probably add them to the ban list.

Comparing Crime Rates for the whole of NY to the rest of the country is an excercise in futility. Why? Because of NYC. NYC alone accounts for a massive proportion of our crime rate. By and large, the rest of NY is pretty safe to live in. I'd much rather live in Albany, Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse as to say, Cleveland.

Quote:
or if necessary, law, to make sure people keep guns in their gunsafes, or must at least own gunsafes?

What you want will require both firearms and gun safe registration. And should ATF have free access to your house so as to make sure people are complying with the law you would like?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
or if necessary, law, to make sure people keep guns in their gunsafes, or must at least own gunsafes?

What you want will require both firearms and gun safe registration. And should ATF have free access to your house so as to make sure people are complying with the law you would like?

Of course not. Stop putting words in my mouth. No, what I'm saying is, if you own a gun, you should own a gun safe. Period. If you can afford to buy a gun, you can afford to lock them up and keep them safe.

Unless you think that people leaving their rifle or glock on the kitchen counter while they are out of the house couldn't possibly be a problem.
Beyond that, the most you can really do is a public education program, regarding that. If I had a gun, and I wasn't carrying it on me, it would be locked up where nobody else can get to it. Isn't that common sense?

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is, if you own a gun, you should own a gun safe. Period.

How is the government to verify your compliance with the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back