Gas station begging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of these "professional beggers" are from gypsy, tinker, or traveler clans. We have them around here, but they are everywhere!

You know the same ones that also are fly by night contractors, spray used oil on driveways instead of asphalt coatings, and paint houses with whitewash instead of paint. For some reason these groups seem to be under the radar of many people's noses.

I've had these lowly types bug me while I'm pumping gas. They disgust me actually. Not a decent one among them. They are panhandlers. They even hold signs up at busy intersections....sometimes for MONTHS at a time. Like in ALL that time they couldn't get a job instead of begging like a filthy low-life? As soon as I see one eyeballing me at the gas pump, I look straight at them and in a loud, firm voice I say...."DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT"! That usually scares them away as they realize I am no chump to be messed with. I know the game they are playing. They are like human litter.

There was a Gypsy clan panhandling in Alhambra at the Regal theater for years and years. I ran into the very same individuals panhandling in Barstow at the Walmart there. The two towns are like 100 miles apart. The same bull-hockey story.

You guys don't know what real begging looks like. Once you see a gipsy woman sitting on a bare sidewalk in below freezing weather with a DRUGGED UP baby (so that it is quiet) and having a baby brings in more money, while her husband sits just around the corner watching, you realize that people's greed has no bounds.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

There is an elderly man who works part time at the Lowe's. He is over 70 years old. He said that he was bored and decided to go back to work. He is friendly and interesting to talk to and I often talk to him when I see him. I figure if a man over seventy years old can get a part time job these healthy young people can get jobs also. They need to check for employment at the local Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, McDonalds, or Wendys. They will feel much better about themselves after they receive that first paycheck.

The difference is, the people of that generation (older) were taught the only way to make money is to get off your but and do something.

There aren't a *LOT* of jobs out there, that's for sure. But there are a lot of people in my generation - the Entitlement generation - who feel that they only deserve to have the best job on the planet and anything less is unacceptable and that everyone should take care of them.

Now please understand that if I saw a person in trouble, especially a woman and especially a woman with children, I would help out. For example, if I saw a woman with children stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere I would certainly give her a ride to the nearest town. And especially if the weather was bad or it was extremely cold, etc. Although you do have to be careful. Just because it is a woman (and even a woman with kids) does not mean she can't pull a gun on you. To be honest I would be less likely to help a guy, because I would feel safer helping a woman. But a guy helped me out one time when I had a flat tire and the garage had used an air impact wrench to put the lug nuts on and I could not get the lug nuts off (I always carried a 'cheater' pipe after that). I would have to take a good look at a guy and especially if I was alone I would hesitate to help some rough looking guy with a mean look on his face. I am just an older, fairly small guy and I don't want to be fighting with somebody. If you see something like a bad car accident you have to help out. I have seen two young women die in a car accident and I have seen three young men die in a car accident.

I am not against helping somebody in trouble. But there is something wrong with all of these beggars. I can hardly even drive anywhere without seeing at least one now. It is a huge change from the past and it makes me wonder what is going on. But I don't have the money to give to all of these people, and there is no telling who is truthful and who is not. So I have decided I am not going to give money to any of them.

On Halloween, we have a little young boy that's been coming for a few years, dressed all scraggly, holding a cardboard sign "will work for candy". The only one we don't mind giving.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Now please understand that if I saw a person in trouble, especially a woman and especially a woman with children, I would help out.

Something like that could easily be a setup. Best bet would be to call for help for them.

Yes, you never can tell what is going on nowadays. You always have to be careful, even if it is a woman with children.

Today I saw another beggar, and in the same place where I have been seeing them for quite some time. There is a road that leads to stores like a Home Depot, a theater, a Barnes & Noble, an Office Max, and other stores. It is almost like it is a franchise operation or something. Virtually everyday there is one or more people there begging. It was a guy today and the last time it was a woman, and two guys before that. Do they use their iPhones to tell each other about good locations? Do you have to buy into the franchise? Are they operating in teams?

Along this road there is a restaurant I go to and I can remember at least three beggars trying to hit me up for money outside of that restaurant. Two of them were a man and woman and the guy had a backpack and the other was the woman saying she did not have enough money for a tow truck. She probably had a credit card and a debit card judging from how she was dressed. I am old but I know just about everybody is carrying plastic. Most of the people at the grocery stores are using debit cards. I guess just because my hair is white they think I am out of touch. I have never driven a tow truck but my guess is the tow truck driver would accept a credit card.

These people have already saturated the beggar market. Anybody thinking about trying to make a living begging might as well get a job instead. Because there are no openings left for beggars. It is like a Liberal Arts degree from a college. Liberal Arts degrees are a dime a dozen in the job market. You want a job? Become an auto mechanic, or a plumber, or a carpenter, or an engineer. Maybe they teach panhandling classes in some colleges nowadays. I am at the point where I might believe anything.

Begging may have been a good living some time ago but it is a loser field for anybody to get into today. The market is saturated. But there are millions of employment opportunities in the United States for people who have various job skills. And if somebody has no technical training they can always try the local fast food places. I have been tempted a few times to tell some of these people have you tried to get a job at a fast food restaurant? There are three down the road. I am tempted to say that especially when somebody is dressed really nice and begging for money. But instead I just say I don't have any money on me.

Do they actually have to have a panhandling license, or is that required just in certain states? I don't know. I do know the cops talked to one or two of these beggars. In this one location there has been a whole series of these beggars. It must be a good spot and I guess they tell each other where the good spots are.

Today I saw another beggar in that same exact area. I drive past that area a lot and it seems every single time I go past that area there is one or more beggars there.

Also today I saw a guy in a car giving money to a man and a woman who were begging in a different location. Three beggars in one day and I did not even drive very far today.

It is unbelievable how many of these beggars are around. I am not giving any of them a cent. I don't know them and I would help somebody I knew first.

The only time I got really creeped out by some folks at a gas station was when two of them were asking for a lift to the laundromat. Trouble was, it was 11:30 at night in a bad part of town, one looked like he was drunk or on drugs, and they both had laundry baskets. My spider senses were telling me that if the laundromat was a few blocks down the street (as they said), they could walk it, and I didn't know if they had something other than clothes in the baskets.

One time two college age kids hit me up for some gas, but it was during the day at a busy gas station. Since they actually had a gas can with them, I figured they really did need some gas to get to their destination and not "gas money", so after I filled mine I put a couple gallons in their can.

It has been quite a while since I gave anybody a lift. It is so crazy nowadays you can't tell what is going to happen. I would think twice and then again before I gave a guy a ride and almost certainly not if it was two guys. Especially late at night and in a bad part of town. Come to think of it, I would try very hard to not be in a bad side of town at night for any reason if I could help it.

I would be more likely to help somebody I knew.

It seems like most bad stuff happens at night. Not always, but it does seem that way. I try to avoid driving at night if I can and I am more cautious at night. I definitely would probably not give anybody a ride if it was night.

You really can't trust anybody anymore except for people you know (and sometimes you can't trust them). Even a woman with kids could pull a gun on you or a knife.

It actually pays to be a little paranoid.

If there were not so many beggars everywhere today I might give money to somebody, especially a woman, who seemed to be telling the truth. But there are so many beggars telling so many stories I am completely turned off by them. The one genuine person in the crowd is lost within the crowd. And there are so many I sure as heck am not going to give out all of my money to the army of beggars. They will have to get jobs or overcome their alcohol and drug issues. The overwhelming army of beggars has ruined it for the few beggars of the past. And all of the carjacking and murder and assaults has ruined it for the people of the past who just needed a ride somewhere.

Best advice if you need to be out at night and need to stop at a gas station is to pack heat, and use it when needed. Usually with beggars and run of the mill panhandlers (opportunists) they will leave your sight immediately if you pull out your gun and display it. That is the best deterrent I have found.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Best advice if you need to be out at night and need to stop at a gas station is to pack heat, and use it when needed. Usually with beggars and run of the mill panhandlers (opportunists) they will leave your sight immediately if you pull out your gun and display it. That is the best deterrent I have found.

Most places it is not legal to brandish a firearm in public. Check your states laws.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Most places it is not legal to brandish a firearm in public. Check your states laws.

This it not true where I live. Open carry where I live now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back