FWD vs AWD. Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why you have you a 2wd Highlander because the AWD in that vintage is absolute trash btorque to rear wheels when needed and too late. Subaru just happens to split torque full time at expense of MPG and needed matched tires.

4cyl. 2wd Highlander is not all bad, think Camry wagon, I run Altimax Artic snow tires here in WI. As I mentioned earlier I've had five AWD units and they all developed drivability issues like rolling stop clunks, power skips in intersection turns, odd noises, crazy scrubbed off tire tred and poor fuel mileage..no thanks, the Highlander is well composed all the time resulting in a much better drive, at 70k it drives perfect and it's never been repaired...If you want room for 4 adults & gear, pull a trailer(up to 3500), 22/27mpg., top dollar resale add the Highlander 2wd to the list, Toyota has offered this version in every generation.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
As I mentioned earlier I've had five AWD units and they all developed drivability issues like rolling stop clunks, power skips in intersection turns, odd noises, crazy scrubbed off tire tred and poor fuel mileage..no thanks

Were they all Subarus, or at least full-time splits (like Audi uses)? That's the reason -- with true full-time AWD, that's the trade-off. Folks sometimes scoff at the "part time" AWD systems, but they're incredibly effective in the snow and don't suffer from the same issues as those true full-time designs do.

I've driven an Audi A4 with the full-time system they have. You can feel the grinding in sharp corners. It's probably a great system, but that's a compromise I wouldn't care to live with all the time. Both of our current vehicles are AWD, but they're mostly unlocked, so you don't have any of those issues. They have predictive locking (so they'll assist during acceleration, even without slippage), and also a lock button, which allows for a manual application. It works great for reasonable use, without some of the other trade-offs.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I've driven an Audi A4 with the full-time system they have. You can feel the grinding in sharp corners.

Having owned an A4 in the past and a Q5 now, I can't say that I've ever heard any grinding in sharp corners or otherwise.

My Ciera has the 231ci Buick cast iron block engine which is nice and heavy, thus adding traction to the front wheels; not to mention, has LOTS of torque.
Being that it's an 87, it does not have ABS; but I find that to be a non-issue for the most part, being that I learned to drive on/and have driven mostly older stuff.

She's my winter beast/beater.

She never gets stuck...
I think a major part of getting stuck on snow nowadays is how modern cars have all these big plastic bumpers and side moldings that go way low reducing ground clearance (I'm guessing for improved MPG). My 87 does not have this problem at all.

Originally Posted By: babyivan
My Ciera has the 231ci Buick cast iron block engine which is nice and heavy, thus adding traction to the front wheels; not to mention, has LOTS of torque.
Being that it's an 87, it does not have ABS; but I find that to be a non-issue for the most part, being that I learned to drive on/and have driven mostly older stuff.

She's my winter beast/beater.

She never gets stuck...
I think a major part of getting stuck on snow nowadays is how modern cars have all these big plastic bumpers and side moldings that go way low reducing ground clearance (I'm guessing for improved MPG). My 87 does not have this problem at all.

Narrower tires don't hurt either. Even econoboxes often come with 65 or 60 series rubber. Your olds probably runs 75's.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

Narrower tires don't hurt either. Even econoboxes often come with 65 or 60 series rubber. Your olds probably runs 75's.

Good point!

Factory rubber was 185/75/14. When I replaced my tires I went with 195/70/14, as that is a much more common size for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've driven an Audi A4 with the full-time system they have. You can feel the grinding in sharp corners.

Having owned an A4 in the past and a Q5 now, I can't say that I've ever heard any grinding in sharp corners or otherwise.

When they still owned it, we Googled the symptoms and it seems that the Haldex bearings are common noise-makers. That, or I've also seen references to "normal Quattro slop" from one forum (Google quattro slop noise). They don't own it anymore, but we chalked it up to something in the AWD system.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

When they still owned it, we Googled the symptoms and it seems that the Haldex bearings are common noise-makers.

A4 does not use Haldex. It uses Torsen.

Audi's are beasts in the snow.

An A6 with snow tires will out do a pickup unless the snow gets to deep.

Actually most of the contractors I know that have 4x4 pickups and Audi's, BMW's or Mercedes as second cars...take the cars during the snow. A modern AWD car will run circles around a pickup.

In the final equation, Baja ralliers and true rural residents aside the other 95% of AWD owners cannot justify it given all the negatives associated.

In the final equation, Baja ralliers and true rural residents aside the other 95% of AWD owners cannot justify it given all the negatives associated.

What does this mean? Who determines what justification is sufficient?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Justification probably being actually using it.

Still curious of negatives. With Subaru(30 years -3 cars) and currently Acura too I have yet to have an AWD issue. I am guessing your 5 systems that had issues were likely were not Subaru or Audi.

wished I never had the AWD on any of them...well maybe the '92 VR4 for dry pavement while it was young as after 30k it became very disheveled.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

I pulled out of the gas station yesterday onto a busy road and spun the tires on my Civic. My Subaru never does that

#Justified
13.gif

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
dblshock said:

I pulled out of the gas station yesterday onto a busy road and spun the tires on my Civic. My Subaru never does that

#Justified

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Still curious of negatives. With Subaru(30 years -3 cars) and currently Acura too I have yet to have an AWD issue. I am guessing your 5 systems that had issues were likely were not Subaru or Audi.

On average, it's just a fact that AWD vehicles will have more problems and less fuel economy than RWD or FWD vehicles, all else equal.

It's also a fact that the differences will be minor and the problems will be rare. So, it's entirely possible that you could own a few AWD vehicles and never have the problems or notice the differences, whereas someone else might.

When people say AWD vehicles have negatives, they're talking about AWD vehicles in the aggregate vs. others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back