Reminder: AWD helps to go forward, after that, it is all about tires!

That is why I said: after that, it is all about tires.
From what I've been told yes and no. If the awd/4wd vehicle is a manual transmission then all four tires should slow you down as they're directly connected to the engine/transmission.

Yes, I must have become brain-dead overnight. It's a miracle I can still respond to posts on BITOG.
Lucky you still have the Lexus-sudden brain transplant time! Subaru’s issues are usually driver overconfidence (not you, QP) caused by Subie’s endless commercials about AWD, & supposed indestructibliy-not mentioning junk OEM all-seasons & that whole HG/hard to repair part.

Doesn't help you stop either.

Best thing to do around where I live is to stay home. Sadly, my job requires attendance and I can't eve count the amount of stupidity I've had to deal with driving to/from work on snow days by people with 4WD/AWD that think they're invincible.
Great point.

It’s no different than driving New Year’s Eve. Sometimes it makes sense to stay off the roads. If not for physics, then the fact that where I live, unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured people who crash into others are simply allowed to drive away. No tires in the world are going to help there.

Subaru drivers are the absolute worst drivers on the road, second would be Toyota drivers.
I’ve literally questioned myself because 2 of the makes you mentioned are 2 of my top 3.

When I think about what make of car has come closest to hitting me while riding a bicycle.

I don’t think it’s the car itself but the application (situation, time of day) and demographics combined.

For example, a scenario leading to disaster? A parent and a child going to a child event. School. Soccer or hockey practice. Etc.

My wife’s car was scraped being parked at preschool! It got red paint all over it in another scenario.

That crash didn't have much to do with AWD or tires. Even on a dry road on a warm summer day it's likely that this crash would have happened. I think it had more to do with him trying to pass the semi with a giant plow-truck barreling towards him in the opposite direction.
My thoughts as well. This was caused by poor judgement on the pass.

From what I've been told yes and no. If the awd/4wd vehicle is a manual transmission then all four tires should slow you down as they're directly connected to the engine/transmission.

Yes, especially if the car has mechanical limited slip diffs.

My BMW is AWD and stick. It slows down as much as engine can when using engine. That is kind of irrelevant when you have to stop suddenly etc.

I was behind a NY DOT salt truck friday on my way home from work. Promaster van glued to his rear bumper as it was salting the road. They only go maybe 30 while salting . Van kept pulling out to try and pass.Well at the traffic light the Escalade behind the Promaster van decided to pass both of them on the left THRU an INTERSECTION with oncoming traffic .WAY TO GO MORON,then the promaster passes the salt truck up the road on solid lines on a curve. way to go clown.

Lucky you still have the Lexus-sudden brain transplant time! Subaru’s issues are usually driver overconfidence (not you, QP) caused by Subie’s endless commercials about AWD, & supposed indestructibliy-not mentioning junk OEM all-seasons & that whole HG/hard to repair part.
Overconfidence in Subaru usually is in WRX or STi like this case. I still think that regardless how dumb driver is, he/she would get away with it if tires were better. That attempt to swoop back to the lane would work.
Most Subaru’s cause people to do stuff like this bcs. left lane and 20 below speed limit.
Outback became new Toyota Avalon which replaced Buick Regal. Here even Lexus can’t compete with Subaru for generation that survived Great Depression.

AWD is completely irrelevant to what happened.

Some poor decision making to pass, the passed vehicle not slowing enough and slippery conditions led to this mess.

This was a pass the driver shouldn't have attempted and nothing more.
That the Subie was able to put down the power to get around the truck is a testament to the AWD system. That the driver decided to pass into an oncoming plow truck was simple stupidity.
I don't think that any tire could have saved him in this situation.
He should be on his knees giving thanks for having been spared death or serious injury.

Subaru drivers are the absolute worst drivers on the road, second would be Toyota drivers.
Nope. RAM, F150, and Silverado drivers are here. Make it a dually for extra carelessness. Got a 18’trailer? That is your pass to do 80 and never leave the left lane.

You want to see real bad? Follow a livestock hauler. The don’t care about anyone, fog, snow, or traffic. They hammer down and drive the rig like a Ferrari.

Back