FWD vs AWD. Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer AWD to FWD in vehicles that have reasonable + amounts of power. And I live in Florida. I rent a ton of new cars, a Maxima I had a few weeks ago is a good example, anything more than 1/3rd throttle off the line, the tires spin. If it were AWD it could put all 300 horses to the ground - probably even in the rain.

I have owned a few high power AWD vehicles. Things I like that have no bearing to snow: I really like being able to pull out into traffic at WOT without any drama. Zero to 40 in 2 seconds while making a turn. I like the ability to put down power in the rain without squirming. On mountain roads I enjoy the different handling characteristics compared to my RWD cars, and rented FWD cars.

My dislikes are: MPG, less steering feel, occasional weird quick changes from oversteer to understeer or vice-Verza compared to RWD.

I have not had any reliability issues with the AWD drive systems yet. I currently own a car that has a history of front driveshaft failure, so we will see. I have payed the MPG penalty - it is real.

We just had some sloppy wet snow (1 1/2') here a few weeks ago, and the Jeep was the only thing that got through w/o issues. People with Front W/D got stuck. If you have to get to work and can't take a day off, 4WD is essential even here. Probably even more so because we aren't equipped with enough plows to clear everything off in this area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
We just had some sloppy wet snow (1 1/2') here a few weeks ago, and the Jeep was the only thing that got through w/o issues. People with Front W/D got stuck. If you have to get to work and can't take a day off, 4WD is essential even here. Probably even more so because we aren't equipped with enough plows to clear everything off in this area.

Your situation is somewhat similar to mine; our "driveway" is a 1500' gravel farm road. Get more than 6-8 inches and/or ice and only the X3 and TJ are moving.
TJPT_zpsu3amwphg.jpg

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
gathermewool said:
dblshock said:
In the final equation, Baja ralliers and true rural residents aside the other 95% of AWD owners cannot justify it given all the negatives associated.

What does this mean? Who determines what justification is sufficient?

Justification probably being actually using it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I pulled out of the gas station yesterday onto a busy road and spun the tires on my Civic. My Subaru never does that

#Justified
13.gif

Exactly.

I can't tell if you got the sarcasm...

Anyway, make sure to quote fully - the 'Smilies' are a pretty big part of the context.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Shows you how much the internets knows...and, by extension, how much I know!

That's OK. It's hard to keep track of where VAG installs Haldex vs Torsen. But a general rule of thumb is that transversely mounted engines get Haldex while longitudinally mounted engines get Torsen.

Of course VAG sometimes changes the engine setup in the same model. For example, the Passat 4motion used to have a longitudinally mounted engine and therefore used Torsen. But in more recent years they switched to a transverse engine, and therefore the 4motion is now Haldex.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Still curious of negatives. With Subaru(30 years -3 cars) and currently Acura too I have yet to have an AWD issue. I am guessing your 5 systems that had issues were likely were not Subaru or Audi.

On average, it's just a fact that AWD vehicles will have more problems and less fuel economy than RWD or FWD vehicles, all else equal.

It's also a fact that the differences will be minor and the problems will be rare. So, it's entirely possible that you could own a few AWD vehicles and never have the problems or notice the differences, whereas someone else might.

When people say AWD vehicles have negatives, they're talking about AWD vehicles in the aggregate vs. others.

My family (sis in laws and direct) has owned 10 Subaru and 2 Audi over last 15 years. Not a single issue related to awd. I should add 1of 9 2.5 ej series encountered subarus "head gasket problem" albeit at 230k miles.....

Since I drive in snow a lot, I would go for all wheel drive. If I rarely saw snow, and didn't tend to camp in muddy places, I would go with a front wheel drive only because it is cheaper not because of reliability concerns.
All wheel drive does seem to add more resale and trade in value to most models though and may be worth considering if ever plan to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back