Fram Ultra 3 OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious for opinions. I have started to use a Fram Ultra as it seems to be an awesome filter that I also got for like 6 bucks after some Pepboys coupons. Better than the PureOne's I used to sleep with.

My plan has been to change them only every other time on my Odyssey and Accord. The Accord is running around 6500 miles OCI on synthetic. The Odyssey is more like 5500 miles on dino (actually semi-synthetic which I got Castrol GTX $5 for 5 quart jugs at the Autozone clearance and so I am long that oil).

Does it make any sense to run 3 intervals in the Odyssey (ie 16,500 miles) on a Fram Ultra? Primary reason wouldn't be the 6 bucks, just the convenience of not getting down to put on a new filter and wipe down the drips on the crossbar etc.

If this idea is stupid then let me know. Just curious though if this is an easy 20K mile filter then I'd consider.....

I've been running them 3 changes on two cobalts, somewhere between 15k and 18k miles. I'd go for it.

I guess we prob won't really ever know, since our cars won't blow up due to poor oil filtration regardless. I was just curious what the "experts" thought was realistic with this quality of filter

one filter, one OCI
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hogan773
Better than the PureOne's I used to sleep with.

Uhhh...

I used a Fram Ultra for 19,800 miles. It had a lot of carbon in the folds of the media when I removed it. Every car is different but I wouldn't go past 15,000 miles again.

I'm down to 20% on my Civic's maintenance minder. This is the third and last OCI using the same Fram Ultra filter. I plan to cut it open when I change my oil next.

Also, Honda only requires the filter be changed very other OCI. While a third OCI on a filter can be considered extended, two is not.

First time I would run it for two OCI and then cut the filter open and see what it trapped. If it doesn't look too bad then I'd extend it to three OCI.

How clean is it under the valve cover? My wife's 97 civic looks spotless under the VC with 184,xxx km on it.

Last edited:
I agree with JC1 use it 2 oci's under 15,000 miles and cut it open.. Post all the pictures of the filter including the center tube.

There are several Ultra Filters here run more than 15,000 miles and the filter doesn't care how many times the oil is changed and it is left in place..

How clean are the engines? Take a look at the ones we've run over 15,000 and decide if you are comfortable or not.

I'm really fond of the V6 in my new Camry and there is no way I'm going to do "how long does a cheap filter last" experiments with it.

If you go 2 to 3 OCI on the same Ultra my advice is don't touch the filter until you are ready to change it. The gasket is not meant to be removed and re installed.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I'm down to 20% on my Civic's maintenance minder. This is the third and last OCI using the same Fram Ultra filter. I plan to cut it open when I change my oil next.

Also, Honda only requires the filter be changed very other OCI. While a third OCI on a filter can be considered extended, two is not.

Oh, and I believe I'll have > 20k miles when I change it.

Do 2 OCI's on the oil and 2 OCI's on the filter. Yes that's what I mean... Get some oil to compliment that filter. I'd do 10-12K willy-nilly and more with an oil analysis. Or return the Ultra filters and get some $3 ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back