Found my "2nd" car....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Um no.

Just ride a bike, at least you look cool.

Sure, I'll ride my bike 110 miles per day.
crazy2.gif

While it's 20F outside and snow and ice on the ground.
smile.gif

This is the main reason I want one...can't ride a motorcycle in the winter...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: JC1
I'd like to see a video of this thing on a hwy during heavy crosswinds. I'm sure you'd need to buy a new pair of pants after driving this thing in a windstorm.

Neat idea, only time will tell if this concept makes it to market and stays on the market.
Have you seen the tires on this thing? They're no wimpy tires, it would probably stick to the ground just fine in the wind.

I've heard from people who have driven the prototypes that they handle like an Indy car...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
With the safety cage around the occupants the weight of the helmet would be more of a danger than a help.

They are working out the details to do the crash testing right now even though it's not required.

They are now funded and own the manufacturing plant. This is one serious effort and it's looking good for production.

You're right, wearing a helmet in this thing would be more dangerous than not wearing one...there won't be any states that will require one to wear a helmet while in this thing...

Um no.

crazy2.gif

Well I wouldn't drive that little three wheel POS that far either. If I had a 110 mile commute I'd do it in an Avalon or a Lexus LS, proper highway cruiser.

I value my comfort.

never can tell what the consumers will buy. I see Fiats and they are as bad as Yugos are reliability wise.

Originally Posted By: CT8
never can tell what the consumers will buy. I see Fiats and they are as bad as Yugos are reliability wise.
Yeah, my dad does collision repair so he drives lots of different cars. He said the Fiat 500 was like an air cooled VW it was such a POS. Lol

I like the concept. I'd be very interested in one. The problem is financially they don't look solid. and they have been promising production next year for about 3 years.

I don't think it will see production, although i would love to see it succeed.

My concern with it would be that you can't see the front wheels when your driving it. At least in the video you couldn't. I can see people tearing a wheel off going around a corner, or pulling up to a gas pump. They might need to move the front wheels a little closer together. How many times can you clip something with a wheel before you can't fix it anymore?.,,

First, in NC you will be requited to get a motorcycle addenda to your drivers license. A road test on a 2 wheel cycle.

Second, the economy is too good for a cheap car. People drive as much car as they can afford, or a little more. In order for a cheap car to succeed in the market, there has to be a serious shortage of cash. Remember the great depression. The fed has been printing funny money for 5 years now . We are awash in cash, increasingly worthless, but it's still cash and as long as it circulates, little cheap cars will not sell enough to be profitable. I certainly would not buy one.

Mankind has produced all manner of efficient, small, 3 wheel cars. Some with high compression engines and significant overdrive ratio's. None have achieve even half of the 84MPG highway claimed by the Elio. So there must be some really good tech happening there...

Also, while it's light, it's likely not as low drag as it looks. Certainly, the outrigger wheels and suspension components create plenty of drag. There are some very sharp individuals who speculate that the Elio drag will be no lower than Cd .25 . Put another way, on par with other modern cars such as the Honda Insight from 1999 and the current Prius.

schmitt-60-green-00.jpg

55-Messerschmitt_KR200-113-DV_08-CC_02.jpg

27731048-BERLIN-MAY-11-Cabin-Scooter-Messerschmitt-KR200-rear-view-26th-Oldtimer-Tage-Berlin-Brandenburg-May--Stock-Photo.jpg

Last edited:
The Elio comes up every 6 months as "the awesome new 80+ mpg car that will change commuting!". Until I can buy one, I'm going to stop being interested.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Mankind has produced all manner of efficient, small, 3 wheel cars. Some with high compression engines and significant overdrive ratio's. None have achieve even half of the 84MPG highway claimed by the Elio. So there must be some really good tech happening there...

Really!
This mpg is already possible from production 4 wheel (non electric) TDI cars.
Prototype VW's claim to GREATLY exceed this.

Um no.

crazy2.gif

Well I wouldn't drive that little three wheel POS that far either. If I had a 110 mile commute I'd do it in an Avalon or a Lexus LS, proper highway cruiser.

I value my comfort.

I'm guessing you don't ride motorcycles?

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Really!
This mpg is already possible from production 4 wheel (non electric) TDI cars.
Prototype VW's claim to GREATLY exceed this.

Even if it is possible to achieve these MPG numbers, it's still just a car...the Elio is unique and appears to be way more fun to drive than a car...people would be better off thinking of the Elio as an enclosed, all-weather, year around motorcycle than a 3 wheeled car...if you can't see yourself driving a vehicle that doesn't coddle you like a Cadillac, then maybe the Elio isn't for you...I see it as an all-weather alternative to riding my motorcycle...

Last edited:
The Elio has passed all the tests on the computer simulator when does a good job of simulating real life.

If you research the Elio you'll find the engineering is first class. This is one very serious project. Their development partners and suppliers read like a who's who in the industry.

It's 90% American sourced and will be manufactured in America.

They have a quarter of a billion dollars in orders and plan to go into production in 2016.

There is also an interesting payment plan. They will give you a special credit car. When you gas up you are charged 3 times the charge card amount and that's your payment. You make no other payments. So, in a month if you purchase $25 in gas your payment for that month is $75. This makes owning the Elio very close to free. All you have to do is adjust to a new kind of vehicle.

I would love to see them. I probably would buy one. But, it's not going to happen. It has been going to hit production "next year" since 2008 ...

I'm sure there is someone who has a great idea for a 3 wheeled car to get good mileage. But, it's just some sort of cash grab.

I will believe it when I see it. I have been rooting for the Elio since they had the original idea. But, being a realist, I don't see it happening since it has been 'right around the corner' for 7 or 8 years now.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The Elio has passed all the tests on the computer simulator when does a good job of simulating real life.

If you research the Elio you'll find the engineering is first class. This is one very serious project. Their development partners and suppliers read like a who's who in the industry.

It's 90% American sourced and will be manufactured in America.

They have a quarter of a billion dollars in orders and plan to go into production in 2016.

There is also an interesting payment plan. They will give you a special credit car. When you gas up you are charged 3 times the charge card amount and that's your payment. You make no other payments. So, in a month if you purchase $25 in gas your payment for that month is $75. This makes owning the Elio very close to free. All you have to do is adjust to a new kind of vehicle.

I would love to see them. I probably would buy one. But, it's not going to happen. It has been going to hit production "next year" since 2008 ...

I'm sure there is someone who has a great idea for a 3 wheeled car to get good mileage. But, it's just some sort of cash grab.

I will believe it when I see it. I have been rooting for the Elio since they had the original idea. But, being a realist, I don't see it happening since it has been 'right around the corner' for 7 or 8 years now.

The problem isn't with Elio, it's the people in charge of ATVM loan who are dragging their feet on approving the loan...Elio is, and has been ready to go, they just need the funding to start production...it'll happen, it's just a matter of the ATVM people getting off their duffs and approving the loan...

Um no.

crazy2.gif

I value my comfort.

Congratulations on being able to afford such luxury. You are obviously looking at the wrong thread.

I value my comfort.

Right. There are different approaches to this. Elio is for someone who wants some entertainment while pulling great MPG on their commute. Granted, if you do it every single day for too long, it can get old pretty quick. Alas, for most people I imagine Elio will be their second or third vehicle, so they'll have an option of alternating between Elio and their regular family couch on wheels, if they want to.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I value my comfort.

Right. There are different approaches to this. Elio is for someone who wants some entertainment while pulling great MPG on their commute. Granted, if you do it every single day for too long, it can get old pretty quick. Alas, for most people I imagine Elio will be their second or third vehicle, so they'll have an option of alternating between Elio and their regular family couch on wheels, if they want to.

For me, the Elio will be replacing my motorcycle...it's more practical because it can be used year around and it gets better MPG, it's safer, it's unique, and it should be fun to drive...what else does it have to do? Oh, and I forgot to mention that my wife won't ride with me on my motorcycle...she's scared to death of them, but she said she will ride in the Elio...another plus!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back