The dangers of a long beard.

As a machinist, especially a lathe machinist, being around anything thatā€™s exposed and spinning instantly puts my brain into ā€œwork modeā€ and I start rolling up my sleeves, tucking away/removing hoodie strings, etc.

But my beard makes me look like Great Value Luke Combs, even have the same colored beard, so I guess I got that going for (against?) me šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
In school a kid got his hoodie somehow tangled in a fly cutter. It pulled him down to the table until it finally mostly stalled the machine. Fortunately he just had a few scrapes.

But yeah, I don't wear loose clothing or gloves when machining. And remember to lick your lips before those heavy cuts!!

edit: and only silicone wedding ring for me

In school a kid got his hoodie somehow tangled in a fly cutter. It pulled him down to the table until it finally mostly stalled the machine. Fortunately he just had a few scrapes.

But yeah, I don't wear loose clothing or gloves when machining. And remember to lick your lips before those heavy cuts!!

edit: and only silicone wedding ring for me
The risk of injury is great with machine tools, but it still exists with all mechanical work.

A ring evulsion (where the flesh is stripped from the bone because the ring caught on something) happened to a sailor on my ship. He was going down a ladder well (thatā€™s Navy for ā€œstairsā€), lost his balance, slipped, and his wedding ring caught on a fastener.

He went down the stairs.

His finger did not.

So, when I walk in the shop, my ring and watch come off, safety glasses go on, and then I start working. A silicone ring is a great safety measure. Hadnā€™t thought of that, but itā€™s a good idea for folks who work with their hands.

I don't like silicone rings either. They're too chunky and easier to snag on the ends of zip ties vs a thin metal band. Sure they're safer but I don't wear rings at all because silicone rings don't clean as easy as metal

I've had a beard since 1982 and only let it grow out once.On my 65'th year I let it grow wild.Friends called me boogie woogie man and kids called me Santa.After an oil change I always listen for any clicking,ticking, or tapping noises to have a heads up while the engine is running.I put my beard down my shirt and put my hand over it.Back on my job in the late 90's my wedding band got caught in a machine but thankfully the safety switch did it's job.The last incident was catching my privates in my zipper.So no more zip up boots for me!

I work as a millwright in a paper mill. We canā€™t have a beard with hair over 2ā€ and hair is supposed to be collar length. Lots of rotating equipment.
I was an operator at a Paper Mill in the 80's, had 2 Beloits, and 1 Dominion. After some maintenance on the Dominion some guys could not account for a crowbar. The bosses gave everyone like 5 minutes to find it, then we started up. Started rolling the Press Section.....found it!! Destroyed the only Granite Roll in the US, had to fly one in$$$. Amazing to see tons of rotating eqpt stop rotating so fast!

Last time I had a car accident, I slid off the road into the snowbank. I gave a half-hearted try at scooping snow bare handed, gave up. Went to do a finger/hand fling to flick off the water, and... there goes my wedding band. Luckily it didn't go far. Ever since it's off more than on, I'll put it onto the carabiner that my various keys go onto.

These days I'll take off my watch, mostly so I try not to scratch it, being plastic and all.

Was in an overseas shipyard where a guy was grinding overhead whilst on his back. He was alone. Apparently he dropped the grinder on his coveralls - and was found choked to death ā€¦
Not allot of HP - But extreme RPMā€™s (inertia) = kinetic energy

When I have about 2-3 days of stubble, I can't stand it. I also dislike shaving. I thought of growing it out but Japanese facial hair often ends up like this:

hqdefault1.jpg

Back