700r4 and new torque converter fluid recommendation

I'm sure this has been answered many times, so I apologize I didn't find enough in my search prior to posting this. I have a new 700r4 and torque converter that is going in a 69 camaro. I asked the transmission builder what he recommended and he said just dex 3 is fine I could go synthetic but it'd shift softer. Well I don't care how it shifts 'feeling' wise. I do care about making sure I have the best fluid I can in the transmission from the start.

In my old tranmsission I ran HPL dex3 bc it had a dex3 in it and i didn't want to flush the conveter. That was a turbo 350, I wanted an overdrive gear so i'm doing the swap.

Thank you for your insight.

20240309_064824.jpg

Personally, I'd use Dex VI, but a quality Dex 3 should be fine, too.

I might be missing something in your pic, but just curious: what is stopping your car from rolling and falling?

did you contact Dave about HPL “dex III”? im thinking of moving over if they figured out how to make it not shear out of grade. my transmission builder specifically said dex 3 and not dex 6 but i cant change my transmission fluid every month.

did you contact Dave about HPL “dex III”? im thinking of moving over if they figured out how to make it not shear out of grade. my transmission builder specifically said dex 3 and not dex 6 but i cant change my transmission fluid every month.
What cooler are you using on yours, it can't be getting that hot.

I'm sure this has been answered many times, so I apologize I didn't find enough in my search prior to posting this. I have a new 700r4 and torque converter that is going in a 69 camaro. I asked the transmission builder what he recommended and he said just dex 3 is fine I could go synthetic but it'd shift softer. Well I don't care how it shifts 'feeling' wise. I do care about making sure I have the best fluid I can in the transmission from the start.

In my old tranmsission I ran HPL dex3 bc it had a dex3 in it and i didn't want to flush the conveter. That was a turbo 350, I wanted an overdrive gear so i'm doing the swap.

View attachment 207416
HPL's BlueCC would be my choice for a 700R4 rebuild.

When we lived in Kansas, I can't tell you how many 700R4's I burnt up hauling cords of wood at 75mph on I-44 in my Suburbans.

@BrendanC "did you contact Dave about HPL “dex III”? im thinking of moving over if they figured out how to make it not shear out of grade. my transmission builder specifically said dex 3 and not dex 6 but i cant change my transmission fluid every month."

What fluid shears out out of grade and what is the transmission and driving conditions?

Last edited:
HPL's BlueCC would be my choice for a 700R4 rebuild.

When we lived in Kansas, I can't tell you how many 700R4's I burnt up hauling cords of wood at 75mph on I-44 in my Suburbans.

@BrendanC "did you contact Dave about HPL “dex III”? im thinking of moving over if they figured out how to make it not shear out of grade. my transmission builder specifically said dex 3 and not dex 6 but i cant change my transmission fluid every month."

What fluid shears out out of grade and what is the transmission and driving conditions?
dex 3 likes to shear down very quickly. that is part of the reason why dex 6 was created. it doesn’t shear nearly as bad as dex 3 does.

Personally, I'd use Dex VI, but a quality Dex 3 should be fine, too.

I might be missing something in your pic, but just curious: what is stopping your car from rolling and falling?
the race ramps front blocks are concave for the wheel to sit into. for it to roll it'd have to roll the flat base of the block. the back i have some wedge blocks you can't see and then those jack stands.

Allision TES-295 spec (now updated to TES-668) is the elite Dex III. You could do a Dex VI but I'm guessing you don't give a fig about fuel economy. Nice car. Have fun.
thanks for the tip/recommendation. My only criteria is what is best for the transmission.

True in many cases, especially for the original DEX III series, but the HPL BlueCC has a quality VII component that is very shear stable.
i need to reach out to dave about that. fully built 4l80 on valvoline dex VI at the moment.

View attachment 207416
What is the final destination is that lift setup?

Back