Jeep wrangler transmission slips between shifts when cold

This stuff?

I’m guessing if an additive like this works then it points the finger at worn clutches and seals correct? My understanding is that these just thicken the atf a bit?

Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant, 10 oz https://a.co/d/6BeEeHG
That's the stuff and its worth a shot. One of the only ATF additives that pretty much everyone agrees is good.

This stuff?

I’m guessing if an additive like this works then it points the finger at worn clutches and seals correct? My understanding is that these just thicken the atf a bit?

Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant, 10 oz https://a.co/d/6BeEeHG
That's the one. ASFAIK it doesn't thicken the fluid, it contains esters. Search the site there has been a lot written about it.

The esters in Lubegard may or may not help. It's supposed to "rejuvenate" old seals as well as clean deposits which may contribute to sticky valve body function and the improved sealing may help improve pressure at various points in the transmission. Improvements are not a given, but I've never heard of Lubegard causing any issues. My transmission guy uses it in his own shop, for what that's worth.

That's the stuff and its worth a shot. One of the only ATF additives that pretty much everyone agrees is good.

That's the one. ASFAIK it doesn't thicken the fluid, it contains esters. Search the site there has been a lot written about it.

The esters in Lubegard may or may not help. It's supposed to "rejuvenate" old seals as well as clean deposits which may contribute to sticky valve body function and the improved sealing may help improve pressure at various points in the transmission. Improvements are not a given, but I've never heard of Lubegard causing any issues. My transmission guy uses it in his own shop, for what that's worth.

Ok cool, thanks guy. I’ll give this a shot before getting too deep into it.

It could also be the adaptation learning. Since it shifts fine in sport mode I highly doubt there is anything actually wrong.

I would try and reset the adaptive learning on it first before trying other things.

I have an OBD Jascan app on my phone, which is very nice for Chrysler products, that from the looks of it can reset the adaptive values.
IMG_2994.jpeg

Last edited:
Correct. Lubegaurd red is a tiny dose of fluid, and it is not thick. I’m not in support of additives, but this one prevented me from selling my truck. I know of no harm from using it.

that said, it does change the fluid characteristics and the computer will have to adapt to it. I highly suggest adding a partial dose first and seeing if it helps, and then decide if you want to add more. Maybe add 1/3 the bottle? I have had one case where it increased a poor characteristic of a 41TE which then led me to get some of it out.… not LG’s fault but we are talking about experimenting with old units.

I’ve got a 2012 wrangler jku with 200k on her. On hot days she still drives great. When it gets cold the transmission slips between shifts until the fluid gets warm. Alternatively if you put it into sport mode it shifts fine, granted it shifts at higher RPM when you do this. Though I would think the higher RPM would cause more slip. The transmission has been serviced regularly and currently the fluid looks new and is at the correct level. Used transmissions for these things can set you back 2-3k from a recycler for a unit under 100k miles. What are your thoughts on what’s causing this behavior? My transmission knowledge isn’t the best though I can wrench. If it’s clutch packs or the bands that have worn out it’s out of my league. But if it’s a solenoid or two then I can do something like that, however I don’t want to throw money away just putting in parts.
Has the filter ever been changed? My friends brother in high school had a Subaru st-6 and the filter on night decided it had had enough. It was mostly clogged.

Back