Focus Ecoboost 1.0L I-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
which apparently was perfectly fine for tons of people driving around with them, NOT getting rearended by semi trucks on a regular basis.

Again, the "safety" argument is stupid. What might be worse, and cause it to exist is the stupidity of some right lane hogs driving down roads. I live off a US highway that is two lanes in each direction. I have to make a right turn to get on it, and traffic is 45-55MPH. The road can be fairly empty, nobody in the left lane, and idiots refuse to get over to the left so that people that want to make the turn, can. Its just stupid and rude.

I frankly dont feel bad if I pull out and someone has to hit the brakes, because they could have gotten over. At the same time I dont trust them to not be texting, and also I dont care to work my car that hard to quickly accelerate to 45-55 MPH, so I generally wait a few more seconds and get out no problem.

But lots of folks seem to imply that they deserve to bew able to pull out in front of 75 MPH traffic with instant acceleration, as it ensures "safety"...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What is the 0-60 of a semi that is merging onto the highway from that same onramp? Does it routinely get slammed into?

That "safety" argument is a poor one, IMO.

+1 Anybody want to answer that??

MotorTrend:
To further reduce exhaust gas heat, the manifold is cast into the cylinder head, surrounded by coolant. And finally, less cooling is needed than in most turbo engines because the tiny turbo is a new unit able to accept incoming gas at 1900 degrees Fahrenheit. Another big-number fact-nugget: It spins to a maximum of 248,000 rpm.

Crack the manifold new top of engine block?

Higher heat in turbo irregardless is going to lead to shorter life. $1000-$2000 "maintenance"

JHZR2,
The Semis around here will chirp the drive tires when they do clutch drops. They are EASILY at the speed of traffic merging most of the time, and I have seen some pass up a service ramp just to build extra speed--must be loaded. Most of them go 70-75mph when merging. WHY can't little cars or Burbans manage that. My guess is the driver of the small car thinks he's abusing his POS by reving to the limiter..and the Burban doesn't want to floor it and waiste $20 of gas entering the interstate.
The fact is: MOST cars around here don't build up enough speed when entering traffic.
I was in a group of cars that had to lock em' up because some idiot was getting on the interstate at 50mph..We were in the right lane going 70mph..middle lane had cars passing us at 75mph+. At the last second the lead car and the idiot decided to slam on the brakes because the were going to side swipe each other. The WHOLE THING COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF THE MERGING IDIOT DID 75MPH, LET OFF THE GAS AND COASTED IN WITH US.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
MotorTrend:
To further reduce exhaust gas heat, the manifold is cast into the cylinder head, surrounded by coolant. And finally, less cooling is needed than in most turbo engines because the tiny turbo is a new unit able to accept incoming gas at 1900 degrees Fahrenheit. Another big-number fact-nugget: It spins to a maximum of 248,000 rpm.

Crack the manifold new top of engine block?

Higher heat in turbo irregardless is going to lead to shorter life. $1000-$2000 "maintenance"

IIRC, Ford is not the first to do this (manifold as part of the head).

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86

I was in a group of cars that had to lock em' up because some idiot was getting on the interstate at 50mph..We were in the right lane going 70mph..middle lane had cars passing us at 75mph+. At the last second the lead car and the idiot decided to slam on the brakes because the were going to side swipe each other. The WHOLE THING COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF THE MERGING IDIOT DID 75MPH, LET OFF THE GAS AND COASTED IN WITH US.

Sounds like the idiot in front of pack did not anticipate or care about the vehicle merging properly and slow appropriately. Likely not paying attention. Downside of right lane travel is cars merge so speed up/slow down. Just the way it is. However many US drivers act like this is my lane and I own it or do not pay attention.

I just read the article and something caught my attention.

They say things like:
Quote:
You can feel the reduction in the car's nose weight - this Focus is wonderfully eager to turn into corners, understeers less than you'd expect, and the front end resists pitching over big bumps.

Implying that they actually drove the car, but then they say:
Quote:
Let's not get things out of proportion, however. This is still a base-engined compact, and it doesn't perform like a hot hatch. Times from 0-to-60 mph will likely be in the 12-second range (Ford claims a 0-to-62 mph time of 12.5 seconds in the six-speed manual version), but the in-gear pickup is what impresses.

Sounds like another "review" based on some PR sheet and lots of assumptions. So I wouldn't take anything in that article seriously, especially the technical stuff about the turbo and the assurances that it can take the heat. Seems like the author has absolutely no clue and just repeats what he is told in his own words.
You gotta love today's "journalism"
spankme2.gif

I asked a state trooper and he said it is the person that is ENTERING that is required to MATCH the speed of traffic. If there is a wreck.. the driver entering the interstate impeding the flow of traffic is at fault.

If I'm in the right lane, and getting passed by people in the middle BUT there is nobody in front or behind me, the the person entering forces me to cancel my CC, #%#%%$ driver, the $%$% out of my way. he should have gone BEHIND me!!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I just read the article and something caught my attention.

They say things like:
Quote:
You can feel the reduction in the car's nose weight - this Focus is wonderfully eager to turn into corners, understeers less than you'd expect, and the front end resists pitching over big bumps.

Implying that they actually drove the car, but then they say:
Quote:
Let's not get things out of proportion, however. This is still a base-engined compact, and it doesn't perform like a hot hatch. Times from 0-to-60 mph will likely be in the 12-second range (Ford claims a 0-to-62 mph time of 12.5 seconds in the six-speed manual version), but the in-gear pickup is what impresses.

Sounds like another "review" based on some PR sheet and lots of assumptions. So I wouldn't take anything in that article seriously, especially the technical stuff about the turbo and the assurances that it can take the heat. Seems like the author has absolutely no clue and just repeats what he is told in his own words.
You gotta love today's "journalism"
spankme2.gif

It may also mean that they drove the car but didn't get a chance to do instrumented testing. That's what I would guess anyway.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

IIRC, Ford is not the first to do this (manifold as part of the head).

Correct, Honda's done it on a bunch of engines. Maybe others too but I don't know of any.

Some of this merging discussion cracks me up. Sure, it's rude to merge excessively slowly and I hate it as much as anyone, but there are slow vehicles out there and they do just fine. All it takes is a little more planning. Having to adjust your driving based on traffic conditions is hardly unreasonable -- that goes BOTH for the merging driver and those already on the road. Do your best not to inconvenience others, and accommodate what needs to be accommodated. Be reasonable. Personally, I will stay out of people's way but I'm not going to redline a cold engine just so somebody who's going 10 over the speed limit already doesn't have to slow down or move over.

And the thought of semis doing clutch drops and chirping tires to get up to speed as quickly as possible, presumably so so car in the right lane doesn't have to slow down a little? Seriously? I'd have to see that to believe it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86

Sounds like the idiot in front of pack did not anticipate or care about the vehicle merging properly and slow appropriately. Likely not paying attention. Downside of right lane travel is cars merge so speed up/slow down. Just the way it is. However many US drivers act like this is my lane and I own it or do not pay attention.

+1

Originally Posted By: rationull
Some of this merging discussion cracks me up. Sure, it's rude to merge excessively slowly and I hate it as much as anyone, but there are slow vehicles out there and they do just fine. All it takes is a little more planning. Having to adjust your driving based on traffic conditions is hardly unreasonable -- that goes BOTH for the merging driver and those already on the road. Do your best not to inconvenience others, and accommodate what needs to be accommodated. Be reasonable. Personally, I will stay out of people's way but I'm not going to redline a cold engine just so somebody who's going 10 over the speed limit already doesn't have to slow down or move over.

Well put - exactly what I was thinking. It seems some folks forget the concept of "sharing" and would rather complain about "entitlement."

On my morning commute I get on the freeway from a west bound street (with at least 3 lanes each direction) to a southbound freeway. This requires using a cloverleaf. Once through the cloverleaf we have about 50 yards to merge into 4 lanes of traffic that is going 70 - 80 MPH. Then less than 100 yards past that is another on ramp.
Most of the locals and the truckers that drive on this interstate all merge to the left long BEFORE they get to this area, which helps alleviate most of the problems.

My point is - most vehicles are going to have trouble merging from about 20 MPH to 70+ MPH in that short of a distance.
In Bakersfield on Highway 99 they have signs telling people to merge left and not drive in the "slow" lane.

And the thought of semis doing clutch drops and chirping tires to get up to speed as quickly as possible, presumably so so car in the right lane doesn't have to slow down a little? Seriously? I'd have to see that to believe it.

Yeah I thought the same. At my Dad's trucking company we used to joke that our truck's (when fully loaded around 80,000 lbs) 0 - 60 times were measured in MINUTES not seconds! LOL!

Nothing wrong with a small engine in a smaller car. Neither of our cars has more than 1.5 liters, and we feel perfectly safe merging. I do prefer the Cruze's drivetrain since the turbo and aggressive gearing in 3rd gear (useful up to 90+ mph) means it moves quickly when needed. Shift to 3rd, nail the gas, wait briefly for the turbo, then it's flying like a bat outta the fiery deep.

There are plenty of cloverleafs around here where it is not physically possible to be at highway speed when getting into traffic.

I'm not going to care if someone flies up on me when I'm merging onto a freeway. I wouldn't expect the lane with all of the exits and entrances in it to be the fast moving one.

I reserve all that anger for those who go slow in the LEFT lane.

I will stay out of people's way but I'm not going to redline a cold engine just so somebody who's going 10 over the speed limit already doesn't have to slow down or move over.

This. When I'm entering traffic I assume that the traffic coming at me is going the speed limit and drive accordingly.

If you speed, I don't care, I'm not a cop. But I expect you to cover your brake and be ready, as you're operating outside assumed parameters.

I believe that Ford has said that the 1L eco boost WILL make its way into the Fiesta next year and WILL be sold in the US as well. If this engine is done correctly it would be a very good solution to the issue of poor economy in subcompacts in the USA. But I still think that all car companies need to offer small diesel engines in compact and subcompact economy cars in the USA. It just makes good sense. Almost always the diesel will offer much superior MPGs when a car is driven normally compared to hybrids.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I believe that Ford has said that the 1L eco boost WILL make its way into the Fiesta next year and WILL be sold in the US as well. If this engine is done correctly it would be a very good solution to the issue of poor economy in subcompacts in the USA. But I still think that all car companies need to offer small diesel engines in compact and subcompact economy cars in the USA. It just makes good sense. Almost always the diesel will offer much superior MPGs when a car is driven normally compared to hybrids.

The problem with subcompacts getting exceptional highway MPG is aerodynamics and gearing. Our Cruze will get 10-15 mpg better than the Fit since it's a bigger, longer car with better aerodynamics. The air stays attached for longer, so there's less drag when it breaks off the car. Also, the Cruze has a very long 6th gear so it doesn't turn that fast at 65 mph. The Fit's gearing is much shorter to make it "peppy", so it's turning over faster. Combine worse aerodynamics with short gears, and most subcompacts won't get good highway fuel economy.

Also, the trend recently has been to market subcompacts as "sporty" cars instead of "economical" cars with stellar highway fuel economy numbers. It's one of the reasons the Sonic hatchback with the same drivetrain gets worse fuel economy than my Cruze, despite being 400 lbs lighter.

All that, and the profit margin on hybrids is higher than on subcompacts. So makers have little incentive to make a cheap "fuel economy special" when they have a hybrid to sell.

If you don't know how to merge onto a highway with a car like that you can't drive.

125hp is more than enough to move around a car that weighs 1k pounds more.

Drive around in a 240D auto for a bit and report back on slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back