Focus Ecoboost 1.0L I-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
I know I'm probably gonna get flogged for saying this, but I don't like the latest trend of engines getting smaller and smaller and then boosting them with a turbo to get them to make power. If GM could get 30 MPG and 350 HP out of the old pushrod design LS1 5.7L 20 years ago, there's no reason larger displacement engines couldn't be produced that are even more efficient today. Turbos are just something else that can (and will) break. Give me a good ol' large cubic inch, naturally aspirated engine any day...

With the US car market now being second to the Chinese, we will not see larger displacement engines in cars for anytime soon, if ever. The reason is that China, and many other countries tax vehicles based on engine displacement. It's cheaperfor automakers to reuse these small engine designs.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I know I'm probably gonna get flogged for saying this, but I don't like the latest trend of engines getting smaller and smaller and then boosting them with a turbo to get them to make power. If GM could get 30 MPG and 350 HP out of the old pushrod design LS1 5.7L 20 years ago, there's no reason larger displacement engines couldn't be produced that are even more efficient today. Turbos are just something else that can (and will) break. Give me a good ol' large cubic inch, naturally aspirated engine any day...

With the US car market now being second to the Chinese, we will not see larger displacement engines in cars for anytime soon, if ever. The reason is that China, and many other countries tax vehicles based on engine displacement. It's cheaperfor automakers to reuse these small engine designs.

Why does what works best for China dictate what we get here in the states?

Turbos are just something else that can (and will) break. Give me a good ol' large cubic inch, naturally aspirated engine any day...
A modern small block chevy (say Vortec 5300 LY5) in a Crown Vic.... nirvana.

One way to get away from downsized-turbo engines is to go hybrid. Let the electric motors handle low-rpm torque, at launch and a boosted acceleration at speed, and let an Atkinson cycle, port fuel injected ho-hum 4-banger fill in the power/torque picture. MPG's and performance are way up there. Route through a planetary gearset CVT or a Honda Accord Hybrid style series-hybrid setup for smoothness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back