Foaming on pcv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it was, but I checked today and there is no more trace of the white foam. Could it be that the oil was no good. Possibly to thin, I mean I can't see any of the coolant being an issue since I did change the oil when I put on the new head and gasket. O well It all looks ok now, but I'm just wondering if my engine did not like the syntec 0W-30.

I changed the head gasket and cyl head on my 90 sunbird 2.0L and was using a 0W-30 oil. Yet I am still getting this foaming on the pcv. The breather is ok though. Also I'm not seeing anymore of this foam under the oil cap. So I descided to put back in Dino 10W-30. Would using the thinner oil have caused this. I will see what happens now that I have a thicker oil in.
Can anyone tell me why I would have still gotten this foaming in the pcv?

No short trips, I do drive it hard. Plus I usually make sure that the engine is heated up, I don't realy do short trips.

Yes I cleaned to whole thing out, but I was just pissed because when I finished the engine work I ended up puting in fresh syntec in. Just for the fact that I wasted to money on it bothered me. I'd I had known I would have put dino in for 500.

quote:

Originally posted by Rick:
Yes it was, but I checked today and there is no more trace of the white foam. Could it be that the oil was no good. Possibly to thin, I mean I can't see any of the coolant being an issue since I did change the oil when I put on the new head and gasket. O well It all looks ok now, but I'm just wondering if my engine did not like the syntec 0W-30.

No, the oil had nothing to do with it unless you did not change it after doing the work. It probably just needed time to burn off all the crud. Sometime with problem like cooling system infiltration into the oil, it is a good idea to run new oil for a short time (500 miles) and change it again to get it clean out.

Did you remove the PVC and hose, clean it out after doing the work? If not, may have been just residual crud left in there.

[ March 30, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back