Did a piston soak on the 18 Kia 2.4L this weekend

The oil consumption has gotten crazy on this car. I ended up ordering a can of the ACDelco spray Top Engine Cleaner. I removed the plugs and foamed all 4 cylinders with the spray. I went out every hour or so and filled them back up. I would turn over the engine a few turns every time as well. After letting it sit 24 hours, I cranked the engine to get any residual spray out of the cylinders. That ACDelco stuff STINKS!!! Put the plugs back in and tried to start the engine, and tried lol. It finally started and was blowing smelly white smoke. I held the RPMs to about 2,000 to 2,500 until the smoke stopped. Then changed the oil and left the filter. Took it for a drive and came home and changed the oil and filter.

We’ll see if this helps or not. At the point I’m at, it definitely won’t hurt anything! My entire garage and the engine bay of the Kia smells like that cleaner though, it’s nasty smelling stuff but it seems to dissolve carbon really well!

Give the Valvoline Restore and Protect product a try. I have a gentleman using it in his 2009 Toyota Camry. It's an oil burner for known reasons and I'm hoping to see an improvement.

OP can check that pretty easily. $30 Amazon borescope.
This is the exact issue with my sons KIA Rio.

Doing any of this stuff makes it WORSE. I have given up. Just add oil every weekend and dump a bottle of catalytic converter stuff in fuel tank every couple of months. Close to 155K now and 10 years old.

Last edited:
Update!
It’s still really early on, but things are looking promising. My kid drives about 70 miles a day round trip to school Monday through Thursday. I just checked the oil when she got home and it’s still full! Also the oil is still really clean. Before it would get really dirty quickly with all the blow by. I’ll know a lot more if this trend continues, but it’s really promising so far! She was burning almost a quart a week before! So it should have been down by now.

Update!
It’s still really early on, but things are looking promising. My kid drives about 70 miles a day round trip to school Monday through Thursday. I just checked the oil when she got home and it’s still full! Also the oil is still really clean. Before it would get really dirty quickly with all the blow by. I’ll know a lot more if this trend continues, but it’s really promising so far! She was burning almost a quart a week before! So it should have been down by now.
You planning a repeat clean with the GM stuff just to make sure it’s as good as possible? Great progress so far!

You planning a repeat clean with the GM stuff just to make sure it’s as good as possible? Great progress so far!
That was my thought. I was going to see how things went this OCI. If I end up doing it again, I’ll probably use the liquid stuff in the can vs the spray stuff. Trav talks about the liquid stuff in his posts about piston soaks. I just had the foaming spray stuff already here, so I used that out of frustration more than anything :D

Back