GM 3.6L PCV valve

JTK

I can't figure these things out. Specifically for a LFY 3.6L in a 2021 Chevy Traverse. Do these metal PCV valves basically just drop/press into the hole in the rear valve cover? I've seen threads where they get stuck and people break them off trying to twist them out with pliers, which they claim requires replacement of the aluminum valve cover.

I believe most of the GM line uses this same or similar PCV valve and I don't understand what keeps them in place other than a slight interference fit. A steel PCV valve pressed into an aluminum housing seems like a wonderful idea.

Out of curiosity, I released the plastic tubing elbow off the PCV valve on my Traverse to see if the valve itself would budge by hand. No go. The elbow latches itself onto the valve with a spring loaded catch of sorts. You just kind of feel for a tiny lever and pull it which ever way it moves to release the fitting.

Last edited:
The actual service procedure says to use pliers and twist to loosen and remove. Installation says to use RTV on it, insert and twist again to fully seat. I have never replaced one - they are cleanable and the service info basically says they can be replaced if you cannot clean it out or it's plugged up. I would just spray some carb/intake cleaner thru it and call it done.

I would just spray some carb/intake cleaner thru it and call it done.
Leave it in place and just shoot some carb cleaner through it and into the engine? I'm not opposed to doing that, especially right before an oil change. I wasn't sure if these had a check valve in them, preventing this, or if they are just a restricting orifice.

I think the issue is going to be getting it out. Breaking it off in the cam cover would be a job I'd hate to have to do.

I appreciate the feedback on this.

Use a scraper to get under it/between the lip of the pcv and valve cover. Then pop it out with a flat bladed screwdriver. Here's one from a 100k mi LLT:

20231009_132345.jpg

Back