Faulty Purolator filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this does not get moved, as I hope to get a broader view here as compared to oil filter forum. I purchased a Purolator premium (white can) from local advanced auto, and wonder if I will only get my money back, or possible oil change as well..not wanting more than it did cost me, I went ahead and changed the oil when I found the problem. The oil filter was leaking oil around the gasket, I found it by spotting on the driveway. 5 quarts of PP I went ahead and dumped 1200 miles into the change, it may have been ok, however I wanted to go ahead and do a complete change after finding the problem as I don't know what is wrong with the filter. The gasket looks good, it was only hand tightened, I have done many many oil changes for 20 years or so with never a faulty filter, so this is not a jab at purolator.

This is just what should I do, what can I expect, and so forth.

Why not just replace the filter and top off the oil. I would take the filter back and see if they will replace free. May have been a seam split someplace. I wouldn't worry about this. One in a thousand.

I've never been overly impressed with purolator filter construction. If i dont use OEM Nippon/Denso filters, i use WIX, as i think they make the best aftermarket product.

If you don't have a WIX retailer near you, both Napa and CarQuest sell WIX under their own house brand name.

As far as a refund, you may be able to get the filter replaced, but i would be surprised if you got anything for your oil. As tig mentioned, just replacing the filter would have been all that is required. However i totally understand why you wanted to change the oil, as you dont know what little gremlins may have found their way into the oil.

I dont have any problems with the white cans.
21.gif

AAP may not be much help since whenever I buy a filter the receipt says they'll only exchange for defects if it's within 30 days of purchase. Fortunately, I've never had to see how closely they hold to the policy, but of you're past the 30-day window, don't be surprised.

Purolator might be very interested, though.

Purolator CS is awesome. Give them a call and speak to someone. The fact that many of us buy oil and filters for furture use is not uncommon. My bet is Purolator will make good on the filter and want to check the "defective" filter out. Certainly worth a call or an email.

I have used purolators a lot, and is my main choice other than rebates, I don't see changing just because of this one.. I'm 110% it was not a double gasket issue, as I always check, and I checked when I pulled the filter off this morning with my anal cheeks frozen to the cement !! I did think at first I may have missed a stuck gasket, however after removing the filter it was confirmed no double gasket. I also inspected the filter very close for some type of defect in the gasket, can etc, no nothing looks perfect. So then I replaced the filter, new fresh, good stuff oil back in the fill hole, and drove around to make sure no leaks. I also let it sit for awhile before posting to be 100% sure.

If the filter sees pressure I don't really see how there was a small leak, and then when driving it did not start spraying out. I even went so far as to wipe the filter off, and the small oil drip returned as soon as I did.

I will contact purolator first even before advanced to see if they are interested, I double checked everything I can think of pointing to something I done, and I can find nothing.

Sometimes things happen, thats life. I agree contact Purolator right away. I feel they have the best customer service in the industry and any good company would want to see what happened in a failure. Please keep us posted.

What kind of vehicle?

I always get a leaker here and there, the last one was an expensive larger wix(51356 on a subaru x-ref app), previously it was a Purolator, The wix leaked around the gasket - seeped actually - the purolator leaked (seeped) around the base-can crimp. The flat gaskets have limitations compared to some using P-ring.

I like to tighten a filter one full turn. Some times if you don't get a good grip, that requires a wrench. Did you try reinstalling the filter one full turn past first contact? It was probably just a random bad filter, but could it be possible the filter wasn't quite tight enough?

I have never had a problem with Purolator's and I hand tighten them.

Did you clean the gasket mating surface before the new filter install?

Originally Posted By: sw99

Or put a drop or two of oil on the gasket before you screw it on?

If there was no damage to the gasket and the sealing surface was clean, then it is possible that the oil filter was not tight enough, especially if you just hand tighten. those regular purolator filters with smooth outer shell, are hard to hand tighten adequately, especially once your hands get slippery with oil. That is why I love their Pure One filters.

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
If there was no damage to the gasket and the sealing surface was clean, then it is possible that the oil filter was not tight enough, especially if you just hand tighten. those regular purolator filters with smooth outer shell, are hard to hand tighten adequately, especially once your hands get slippery with oil. That is why I love their Pure One filters.

the trick is to hand tighten it as much as u can then grab a rag and get it as snug as u can with that

Originally Posted By: sw99
I have never had a problem with Purolator's and I hand tighten them.

+1 I am a bit sloppy about cleaning the surface and never went a full turn.

I think the wix I had leak was overtightened - but no more than one full turn with a cap wrench. The gasket looked a bit distorted. This was in a subaru 2.5L with a supposed very high flow oil pump. I use a head band multi-LED "flashlight" for improved vision under the chassis and old (washed) hole-y underwear to clean the mating surface spotface.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back