Oil filter gasket.....Oh no you didn't!

After all these decades of automakers successfully using spin-on oil filters on cars, why is Mustang all of a sudden having problems of backing out with their filters?
Good question, never heard any talk on the forums about that before on the cross plane V8s like the Roadrunner, Coyote, etc.

There was however an oil filter loosening issue on the flat plane Voodoo in the GT350, so owners would safety wire the filter. Then Ford changed the filter from a spin-on to a cartridge a few years into production to address the problem.

So,

Dirty little secret. You know how you have to put oil on filter gasket before you spin it on?

Well, I do that, but..........

shhhhhhhhhh

I never have clean oil under car with me, so i dip my gloved finger into the drain pan and smear a drop of the old oil on gasket, then spin it on. Done it for years.

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Don't tell anyone.
I got your back

After all these decades of automakers successfully using spin-on oil filters on cars, why is Mustang all of a sudden having problems of backing out with their filters?

I'm not entirely sure.

Could be a combination of design issues. What I do know, from experience, is the filter is awkwardly located and it is difficult to get a good grip on the filter. The small belly pan cut-out certainly doesn't make it any easier. In theory, limited access to the filter could result in insufficient torque being applied during installation.

Last edited:
So,

Dirty little secret. You know how you have to put oil on filter gasket before you spin it on?

shhhhhhhhhh

I never have clean oil under car with me, so i dip my gloved finger into the drain pan and smear a drop of the old oil on gasket, then spin it on. Done it for years.

Always done that too

none of those you have listed have spin on filters?
No. Actually.

The Mercedes, Volvo and Tundra all have cartridge style filters.

The Packard has a bypass filter that is no longer available. Two steel lines connect to it.

But I do need to lubricate the o-rings for those style. But since I’m putting the new element in the housing on the bench, I use clean oil.

Could be a combination of design issues. What I do know, from experience, is the filter is awkwardly located and it is difficult to get a good grip on the filter. The small belly pan cut-out certainly doesn't make it any easier. In theory, limited access to the filter could result in insufficient torque being applied during installation.
That "trap door" to gain access the the oil filter is Mickey Mouse. I just remove the whole underbelly pan, it only takes 5 minutes and give full access to the bottom of the engine.

So,

shhhhhhhhhh

I've always done the same.
There are sensible limits to OCD.

Shame on you for not using that used oil for your lawn mower :). Just kidding! I use the old oil that is dripping from the filter area to lube the gasket therefore I am guilty too.

No. Actually.

The Mercedes, Volvo and Tundra all have cartridge style filters.

The Packard has a bypass filter that is no longer available. Two steel lines connect to it.

But I do need to lubricate the o-rings for those style. But since I’m putting the new element in the housing on the bench, I use clean oil.
Surprised the older Volvos dont have them. Did you convert them or was that factory?

So,

shhhhhhhhhh

I put the clean oil jug on the floor near the new filter close to where I am flailing around under car… Makes it convenient for me to kick it over….

But, I dont open the seal and cap until I am ready to put the new filter on and dip my finger in it to use clean oil for the gasket and threads…

I feel like a complete moron now for opening the clean bottle to do this all these years.
Clean oil is only necessary if the old stuff has sludge, metal shavings, etc in it! 😆

Of course, I always use clean oil because that's just the way i have always done it. But I schmear it onto the gasket at the work station, before I reach under the car to install it. So far I haven't knocked over any jugs... (knock wood).

Last edited:
*GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING*

I don’t wipe off the dirty oil from the flange and simply install the new filter dry since there is lots of oil on the flange already. By the time the filter is tight the gasket will be well lubricated.

I’ve done more than 100 like this and have not had one issue. I don’t prefill either. I also use the same filter for two OCI often as well. I’m sure all my engines are on the brink of failure because of my reckless ways …

Back