F1-gsd3 hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two summer goodyear f1-gsd3 tires a while ago for a good price. They were made in 2005. The tires feel hard when i press on the tread with my finger nail. My finger nail will actually leave an indentation in the rubber, and the rubber will not reform immediately like on other all season tires I have in the basement. The basement is about 60 degrees. Is this normal? Does anyone know if they are suppose to be hard until they get up to opperating temps? all advice will be appreciated. I dont want to put hard brittles tires on the car and kill someone on the highway.

I have those tires and they get really soft when heated up. They are rock hard in colder temperatures, I took them out on a cold sunny day in the winter and was all over the road. They are truly summer tires in every way.

Alright thanks. Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything wrong with them as they feel like hockey pucks in the basement.

Anyway to preserve them? I have the michelin tire conditioner on the sidewalls. The basement is dark, no sunlight. Is dry rot the loss of a certain chemical in the tire? Anyway to replenish it?

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24
Anyway to preserve them? I have the michelin tire conditioner on the sidewalls. The basement is dark, no sunlight. Is dry rot the loss of a certain chemical in the tire? Anyway to replenish it?

I put my snow tires in plastic bags over the summer in the basement, the theory being that whatever evaporates out of tires should be slowed abit by the plastic, due to increased vapour pressure.
On the other hand I have some old R-compound tires that are around 20 years old, with no cracking or dry rot, they warmed up and got soft enough to pick up rubber this summer on my track day. They have spent almost all of their life in someones garage or basement and now my relatively cool shed.

Interesting. Maybe ill try to seal them in a tire bag? Would it be a bad idea to spray 303 protectant on the tires tread area, seeing as the stuff says it protects against ozone damage and the loss of the waxes in the tire? Then i could just wash the stuff off when I use the tires in a couple years.

Originally Posted By: brentalan
I have those tires and they get really soft when heated up. They are rock hard in colder temperatures, I took them out on a cold sunny day in the winter and was all over the road. They are truly summer tires in every way.

+1000

I also would not let them freeze, nor even use them in sub 40*F temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back