Expedition Shopping

I would have a hard time spending money on a 5.4L powered Ford. Yeah they can be reliable, but only if bought new and the oil changed religiously with synthetic. Any used vehicle would be a maintenance question mark, and therefore an engine question mark.

I would have a hard time spending money on a 5.4L powered Ford. Yeah they can be reliable, but only if bought new and the oil changed religiously with synthetic. Any used vehicle would be a maintenance question mark, and therefore an engine question mark.
I mean that's true for pretty much any used vehicle, if it was poorly maintained, you're not going to have a great time with it.

This one looks pretty clean and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but it's 300 miles away.

2014 King Ranch
Haha, here in Texas it is roughly 885 miles of driving both across the state east-west and up the state south-north so 300 miles is just an afternoon drive. There's an old poem
The sun has riz
The sun has set
And here we is
In Texas yet.
Good luck finding what you want.

Not my 98, max tow package for that year moves the filter to behind the bumper and adds water to oil heat exchanger to the block where the filter would normally be.

Still uses the same gasket between the Block & Adapter, 6840 in the diagram.

joJPnum.png

With all the plastic parts in engines bays these days, I consider anything 10-15 years old to be delicate. You can do a lot worse than a late model 3V 5.4L.
Of course you can do worse, but if the cam phaser issue is ignored, it can be catastrophic. Engines aren't cheap.

Not in the good ol' USA-- you gotta ride high, suck gas, and look like you might take it off road or tow something someday to be cool!
Is this that old "Big SUV Bad" trope? I usually agree but we have three kids and live in a place where it snows. Would everyone be fine crammed into a RAV4 or CR-V? Probably but my wife does the harder job of the two of us and the least I can do is try to shop for the kind of car she wants.

Have you driven a 3.5? Or just an anemic 5.4?
Yes, my in-laws have an EB in a '19 F150 and it's got great power. Also has a startup rattle at 38k so I'm not too impressed by that.

I've driven an even more anemic 4.6 and it's perfectly enough power for the Mountaineer.

Back