How do you like the driving aids in today's cars?

Never had a vehicle with one and never will. I gave up my car and driving.

My thoughts were...what if you were caught in one of those riots and they were blocking the streets. They came to do you harm and there was no way out. Try to drive thru the evil ones and the car keeps braking? I would want the choice of running over them, if worst came to worst. Of course it will not for me as I no longer drive.
That's what the Engage Rampage Mode button is for!

One thing I really like about my C43 is the variety of ways you can select and use most functions. There are two touchpads on the steering wheel that allow you to access every function without having to take your hands off the wheel.

Ah thanks for the tip. That Rav4 has so many different electronics on it and I didn't know you could do that. I will try pressing the ok button when going through the automatic car wash. This Rav 4 about drives my wife crazy it has so many different settings. The Jeep GC it replaced had a lot of enhancements but this Rav4 has many more.
I felt the same way when we got the Highlander. I used to keep a note pad with me to jot down things I needed to look into.

I totally get why 9&3 are the "right" spot for hands, now that we have airbags and all.

But I usually drive with one hand at 12 or 9. If I break my nose, well, I'll take my chances. Odds are good that I have more than just that troubling me. [Besides, I'm hoping I don't just freeze up, good chance my hand will have moved.]

As much as I dislike the driving Nannies, A rental Ford fusion spared me a crash using safety aids. I was driving in Houston for the first time, totally lost. I was distracted and didn’t see the traffic was stopped ahead of me. The Ford beeped and screamed to stop at me. The car slowed down automatically before I stomped on the brakes myself.

There’s one anecdote from a Luddite, regrettably.

I totally get why 9&3 are the "right" spot for hands, now that we have airbags and all.

But I usually drive with one hand at 12 or 9. If I break my nose, well, I'll take my chances. Odds are good that I have more than just that troubling me. [Besides, I'm hoping I don't just freeze up, good chance my hand will have moved.]
I drove with my hands at 9 and 3 long before airbags. I use the same hand position on the track. I also heel and toe on both the street and track. Muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: Pew
My '23 Silverado and my '20 Traverse has mirror tilt down option. They will revert back up after a set time if in reverse long enough.
Handy for seeing curbs when parking, can be a pain when backing up trailers. It's a love / hate thing.

What's interesting, is my dad taught me to set the pass mirror as if NOT driving a truck.

He told me, you don't want to see the same thing in your sideview, as in your rearview, so set it accordingly.

Another factor, all cars did not have a pass mirror when I began driving, and, the pass mirror was not convex.

He said when driving a truck, you cannot see behind, and so you adjust the mirror to show the right side of the vehicle.

I've done the above since age 16, and it really can't be changed at this point. I guess just like some will continue to drive at 10 and 2 and won't change. So tilting down, is bad for me.

Back in the '70's, I bought a brand new motorcycle. One day I rode it over to the garage where my friend worked. His father owned the garage ,and he came out to take a look at the bike. He walked around it, and listened to the details I was telling him about what it had over my old bike. He just smiled and said, "Looks like alot more things to go wrong". That evaluation remark has stuck with me all these years. And he was dead on the money with it.,,

Here is a blazing hot take: if people adjusted their side mirrors correctly, they wouldn't need the blind spot indicators.

I'll never buy another car unless it has bsm. It's wonderful, especially on dark, rainy nights.

Like most things, sometimes the idea and concept itself is great but the actual execution of it is horrible.

Backup cameras are generally good. I find them useful for lining up a trailer hitch. Blind spot monitoring can definitely be helpful, and on most vehicles isn't intrusive or annoying. Some of the others like lane keep, auto cruise and collision avoidance are 100% dependent on how the manufacturer implements them. They can either be decent, or extremely annoying and ruin the driving experience of the car.
What’s interesting about lane keep, auto cruise and collision avoidance is the same company provides the tech and development kit. The car maker tweaks it themselves. A friend sells that tech to many major auto brands.

Here is a blazing hot take: if people adjusted their side mirrors correctly, they wouldn't need the blind spot indicators.

Convex side mirrors are a common retrofit for Euro car owners here in the U.S., since they are OE there, on both sides. No stick on warts required.

But side mirrors are contrained by their size and shape, where aesthetics sometimes take priority over utility.

Driving aids should be outlawed. If you cant drive properly, you should not drive.

I don't mind the aides, its the constant buzzing and beeping that can become a bit much.

Driving aids should be outlawed. If you cant drive properly, you should not drive.
O lord..I have been driving for 62 years you must have been driving for 92 years. We have the world's best drivers here on BITOG :rolleyes:

I'll never buy another car unless it has bsm. It's wonderful, especially on dark, rainy nights.
. Welcome to yesterday. IMHO the passing warning lights are beyond. If I see nothing in my rear mirror or really don't even look at the mirror if the yellow light is not on. I'm good to go. It takes into account how far back the car is and how fast he is going. Its very sophisticated.

Back