European Union Threatening To Ban Chrome Plating beginning in 2023

wemay

Site Donor 2023
From CarBuzz.

I didn't realize the creation of this material was toxic. I wonder what's next.

Every shock absorber piston on automobiles, every piston on aircraft landing gear, every hydraulic piston on earth moving equipment... so many industrial applications for hard coating anti-wear platings other than cosmetic automotive applications that require the application of chromium on the wear faces. Certainly someone in the executive corridors of Brussels has given this some thought. Maybe they discussed it with the thinktanks that thought banning gas stoves was a fantastic idea.

How long before they suggest we go back to tilling our soil with sticks and mules?

Every shock absorber piston on automobiles, every piston on aircraft landing gear, every hydraulic piston on earth moving equipment... so many industrial applications for hard coating anti-wear platings other than cosmetic automotive applications that require the application of chromium on the wear faces. Certainly someone in the executive corridors of Brussels has given this some thought. Maybe they discussed it with the thinktanks that thought banning gas stoves was a fantastic idea.

How long before they suggest we go back to tilling our soil with sticks and mules?

But you need to cut down trees to make sticks, can't do that, you'll have to dig with your hands.

Every single day a new EU-insanity over here.

Well, the chroming of bumpers and trim for vintage vehicles is mostly done in eastern Europe and Turkey since years anyway, because it got super expensive here.
So yeah, those guys will have a field day, when they got all the jobs now.

It's called active deindustrialization - Morgenthau is laughing in his grave.

Also mules expel gas so we can't have that.

Long ago the Kennametal rep told us straight up they can't make carbide tooling in most first world countries because of environmental restrictions for things like vapor and chemical depositions on the inserts.

Unless we get to where the entire world agrees restrictions only push this business overseas, but it doesn't stop it.

I guess the EU could ban the import of chromed products, too?

There will always be some third world country happy to do just about anything if there's money it, like store our "recycled" plastic and take our old electronics.

Long ago the Kennametal rep told us straight up they can't make carbide tooling in most first world countries because of environmental restrictions for things like vapor and chemical depositions on the inserts.

Unless we get to where the entire world agrees restrictions only push this business overseas, but it doesn't stop it.

I guess the EU could ban the import of chromed products, too?

There will always be some third world country happy to do just about anything if there's money it, like store our "recycled" plastic and take our old electronics.
Searched CNMP643 … proud of my memory … loooooooong ago 😷

Reactions: D60
I would make a joke about people potentially being arrested for cruising around with illegal chrome bumpers, but after seeing arrests for paddleboarding alone in the ocean, I no longer think it can't or won't happen....regardless of EU or US

Or not being able to paint anything or pave roads or have air conditioning?

Why would you think the ban would extend all forms of Chrome plating? More likely result is that cheaper, less environmentally friendly methods of plating will be banned.

I do the electrical maintenance on a medium sized chrome plating operation ......

His business has trippled in the past few years due to restrictions in some states lots of items shipped in from California and Nevada

Oklahoma has lax regulations on this process that being said the water run off on the property as well as the waste water is monitored by the city of Oklahoma city monthly and subject to random testing

This building and the process are grandfathered in....... he wanted to build a new shop in a new location but is not allowed by the city so he must maintain the current building and location no exceptions

Cyanide and many other heavy metals are present without a doubt

Back