Editorial on banning DIY oil changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was published on April 1st, I would have thought this was a joke. Heck, I still think it's a joke.

A better solution is to move to truly biodegradable oils and filters. We'll get there eventually.

"Nearly 40% of the pollution in America's lakes and rivers is due to used motor oil, says California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery reports."

I'd like to see that report and the data that generated the conclusion.

It would be difficult, if not impossible to enforce. I guess you would order online, or start buying oils and filters from the guys who sell weed or crack. LOL!

Gotta have my Pennzoil fix!!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I guess you would order online, or start buying oils and filters from the guys who sell weed or crack. LOL!

That would be the case, but due to it being illegal, the cost of it would go up to the point where DIY would be very hard to justify.

I don't see a ban happening. How can you ban bulk oil if some cars consume oil, even when running normally? What if you have an antique car that you wouldn't dare let the lackeys at a quickie lube touch, assuming they actually knew how to work on it?

Not going to happen.

Originally Posted By: bama7x57
Going to a Jiffy Lube would be a long drive on my tractor.

Or a long walk with my push mower.
smile.gif

I wonder how much of the article's claimed oil drips onto the ground from leaking vehicles?

Look at the stains on a paved parking lot. All that oil washes into the ground, sewers, or waterways.
oilSpot_1.jpg

Heck, look at any dip on any road or highway. Any small drops hanging on underneath cars get knocked off and there are always dark areas of roadway at those dips. The deposit idea would probably help a lot.

That's really sad that 40% of the pollution is due to used oil. Especially when it is so easy to recycle it.

As usual, it's the actions of a minority (perhaps in this case a sizeable minority), that results in problems for the majority who are responsible.

As much as most of us don't like the idea that our freedom will in some way be compromised or something else in life has just become more difficult, we should also consider the impact on the current and future generations who are completely innocent and whose health could suffer as a result. Especially if we consider ourselves part of the responsible majority.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I'll give you my filter when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

+1

Pretty much...

Can't see it happening...

if it stopped the silly posts i read on here such as.........."oh NO I put 5w30 in my car that specs 5w20, whatever will I do"..........if it stops this sillyness i just might be for it

instead of screwing with hardworking self reliant people they should pick on the sponges in our society who mooch off of the govt because they are to lazy to do anything!!!

I don't see it happening, But 'They' could restrict motor oil the way they have restricted Oil based paint in some states, where you need a permit to obtain it.
Sad, But there are still some people (including a Farmer I know) that dumps used oil into a hole in the ground

I have read for years that one quart of used motor oil can contaminate a million gallons of fresh water. I do not know what level of contamination that is, though. I once saw a used oil filter half under water in the drainage culvert for the creek behind my house. A lot of people are pigs, plain and simple. There's probably a bunch of used oil seeping down out of older landfills. As recently as the late 80's we used to just put our used oil into milk jugs and throw it in the trash. That is actually what the Dallas EPA field office told me to do when I called them during my college years. I found a quick lube center that was willing to take my used oil, but used oil filter collection only started happening around the early to mid 90's. So, all that oil from big V-8's that was changed every 3,000 miles is still out there, waiting.

I guess some of you understand now why I get a bit miffed about people changing their oil TOO often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back