Thoughts on taking high mileage car on long trip?

I have a 2012 Honda Civic that I was gifted by my parents after my Buick crapped out. The Honda has 178k on the clock and just recently got new tires and an oil change. I use full synthetic. Transmission shifts nicely etc.

I have a friend I haven't seen in almost 10 years that lives almost 300 miles away in the mountains and we wish to see each other. I've heard stories of Honda's Legendary reliability however since I haven't had this car most of it's life I'm worried something may go out on it.

What's everyone's thoughts on this matter?
It's a matter of perspective.

When I was a kid a friend's dad spent days getting the car ready for a summer vacation trip/family visit. Turns out it was less than 30 miles.

I don't consider 178k a lot of miles on a Honda. And a 300 mile trip is just a weekend jaunt for me. I'd go. It would be good for the Honda.

Take it on a 100 round mile trip tomorrow and see how she does. I bet it's fine.
I would check all the fluids, battery condition/age, etc.

Good luck and have fun on your 300 mile trip!

I would drive it in a heartbeat! You can get stuck on the road with cars much newer than that; thank God for manufacturer warranty and roadside assistance.

A bit depends on what kind of "mountains" we are talking about. If it's bad weather then no way I would go with a civic.
In normal weather, I would check for any OBD2 codes, tires age/health, spare tire air pressure, brakes, battery/alternator health, antifreeze, plus tools and emergency clothing/food/water.

When I was a kid a friend's dad spent days getting the car ready for a summer vacation trip/family visit. Turns out it was less than 30 miles.
When I was a kid my dad's idea of getting the car ready for a long trip was to put his toolbox in the trunk. Sometimes a few spare parts.

Is that a typo and you meant 3,000 miles?

300 miles is a day trip. If it were my car I wouldn't even pop the hood before leaving. Or coming back. Or for another month or two after returning.

IMG_3670.jpeg

IMG_2581.jpeg

I drive my 2002 Jaguar XKR cross country at least 4 times a year. It has 185,000 miles on it. If a Jaguar does it, a Honda should be able to.

Before my clutch leg gave out I had exclusively vintage Shelby’s, Galaxies, and Mustangs as my daily drivers. They were old as sin, but well treated. They had turned over the odometer numerous times, so high milage was a given.

It’s not the high mileage that makes any vehicle unreliable, it’s the lack of care.

I'd take either one of my Honda's cross country right now if I needed to and not think twice. North of 270k on the Accord and 186+ on the TL.

I buy questionable beater cars with unknown service history and usually over 200k miles. In nearly every case I take them on a shakedown trip or a few.

- 1990 GMC Sierra, racked up over 2000 miles in just couple weeks after purchase, between random errands and truck duties.
- 2003 Lexus GS300, heavily neglected and abused by previous owners, so I instantly took it on a 220 miles trip the day I purchased it.

I'm too lazy to list the rest, but it's a very common thing I do, and so far made it to my destinations just fine. That's with unknown maintenance histories on those dozens of vehicles. It's my hobby to buy junk and restore them to nice daily drivers.

So my point is - don't overthink it. You got a well maintained vehicle that is known to go the distance even when neglected. Drive it, enjoy the drive, enjoy the family time, and use common sense. As in: check oil level, tire pressures, maybe run some Redline/Berryman/Techron fuel injector cleaner through the tank for preventative maintenance.

I took my 2007 Honda Accord SE on many many trips from Louisville to Navarre FL and the car had over 300000 miles on it...It ran like a top...I did all of the maintenance on it.. It had the 2.4 and was auto....My last trip was with 380000 on it before I traded it in for a 21 Honda HRV AWD Sport....

A few years ago I had a Ford Fusion with 275,000 miles on it. I took it from my house in Central Virginia all the way to Colorado and back over the course of a week for a road trip. As long as the maintenance is good and the car is not showing any signs of any problems go for it

I have the same type of car and with 140,000 miles on mine I would drive it anywhere. I wouldn't be afraid at all if it runs as it should right now. As long as it's not waving any early warning signs of a catastrophic failure take the car on that trip and see your buddy.

Back