easy to work on modern, non domestis vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This spring I may start looking for a newer used vehicle, to replace my 2002 PT Cruiser. Rust and other repairs may put an end to it.
Although I've never owned a NON domestic vehicle. I've been giving it a lot of thought lately.
Since owning the PT Cruiser, we would like a larger/nicer vehicle.
From the stand point of reliability and ease of working on myself (was a mechanic 20yrs, mostly domestics). What would you guys put on your list as a replacement ?
A durable engine and REAL automatic trans, are a must. And safety "AIR BAGS", and the usual creature comforts AC,PS,PB,cruise.
Does anyone know the ease of KIA to work on ? durability?

Last edited:
I haven't owned one personally, but a 4.6 2V Panther chassis such as a Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis is the way I would go, if you can find a rust-free one.

'02 Tahoe? I have a '02 Silverado with 340k miles (transmission rebuilt 20k miles ago). Still original engine but I have to tow trailers with it. If it wasn't for the trailers I'm sure I would have been able to baby it for awhile.

Solid truck tho no real complaints bought it back 6 years ago for $500 and a brick job.

Thanks for the input guys. But I'm thinking of something like Honda,toyota,kia, subrau etc.. nothing from europe

Mitsubishi is probably the best answer overall, and possibly Hyundai and Kia. The Toyota Yaris and Echo are also very simple and reliable.

The Chevy Aveo, Suzuki Forenza, Reno, and Verona are all rebadged Daewoos and shouldn't be complicated, either. However, these cars aren't as reliable as the brands I mentioned in the first paragraph.

First of all, what is your budget? We could be recommending anything from a 1987 Camry to a 2015 Accord

Originally Posted By: rustytoolss
Thanks for the input guys. But I'm thinking of something like Honda,toyota,kia, subrau etc.. nothing from europe

Something nice would be a Mercedes. Early 2000's weren't that good but by late 2007+, the E350's were kinda nice. Those range from about $12-$20k up to about 2009. There's also the C class, not sure how good they were, but some of the 2006+ start at 8k. Most people are afraid of the repair costs, but it's mostly the labor hours that are expensive. Parts tend to be 2x-3x what American parts go for, but you're talking $100 for a set of front and rear brake pads vs about $40 for an American car. They have real luxury like Bixenon headlamps, memory power seats, rain sensor wipers, keyless go which means you can keep the fob in your pocket and just pull the door handles to open the door and hit the start button to go. Also panorama sunroof and parking sensors. And don't forget the headlamp washers.

2000 LS400 , gorgeous, quiet, roomy, reliable, and has some giddyup

Quick search on autotrader shows some with 65000 miles for $9000

I want to buy another one

Last edited:
Honda Civic or Accord. Toyota Corolla or Camry. Mazda 3 or 6. Avoid used cars of the other lower priced Asian brands - they are built cheap to be cheap.

Toyota Avalon, full size car, a Lexus with Toyota pricing. Strong V-6 with an good 6 speed transmission. Also called a Japanese Buick, but doesn't have the annoying float suspension of the older Buick's.

Last edited:
First generation Saab 9-5 ('99-'08 I think, not the orphan model circa '10-11). The 4 cylinder models are quite easy to work with, have many of the creature comforts and safety features you'd like, and are reliable and easy to work on. Dirt cheap since the brand is dead. Saabnet.com is the finest enthusiast site on the internet, a great group of owners who'll help you solve any problems you might have. Parts are surprisingly available and affordable. I have a 2003 9-5 Aero with 202k miles, it's been a great car.

jeff

My 2007 Ford Fusion has and still is a very reliable car. See my thread I started recently(vehicles) on the 150K evaluation of the Fusion. Page 2 I believe.

See if you could scoop an 03-05 Infiniti G35 Sedan. Tough as nails Nissan VQ, parts available from your Nissan dealer, a Jatco 5 speed auto, and a hoot to drive. Basically a 4 door 350Z.

I would agree that you might have to take a good look under the hood and underneath the car. My old Mazda 3 was a lot harder to work on than my Hyundai just due to the layout and independent of the space it had to move a wrench. I'm sure there are Corollas and Civics out there that are relatively easy to work on but that "easy" might be subjective.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Subaru, some toyotas, a few hondas. Not sure about any other brands.

Your definition of easy to work on it a lot different than mine.
I don't think I would have put Subaru on the list.
The Toyotas and Some Hondas? Sure. I have only worked on older Kias they were not too bad, can't speak to the new ones.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
First generation Saab 9-5 ('99-'08 I think, not the orphan model circa '10-11). The 4 cylinder models are quite easy to work with, have many of the creature comforts and safety features you'd like, and are reliable and easy to work on. Dirt cheap since the brand is dead. Saabnet.com is the finest enthusiast site on the internet, a great group of owners who'll help you solve any problems you might have. Parts are surprisingly available and affordable. I have a 2003 9-5 Aero with 202k miles, it's been a great car.

jeff

Don't they have some GM drivetrain parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back