Drug abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too often in our schools, the druggies are seen as the cool kids.

These druggies apparently try and hold onto this status, and seek each other out throughout adulthood as well.

One can often see this mentality in elder druggies/alky's of today.
"What you can't handle smoking pot all day or drinking until you pass out every night?..... what a nerd!"

This and the culturally acceptable and promoted misandry are two factors helping to dig America's hole deeper and deeper, in my opinion.

Many people become addicts because they lack the skills to handle some of life's problems any other way besides getting high.

One of the main things a drug program will teach you is how to better handle these problems without resorting to getting high.

From the Promises:

We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.

Originally Posted By: car51
Gathermewool: I have busted my tail doing 12+ hour days 6 days a week for about 5 years now. Most under 35'ers don't last where I work as they smoke or are constantly on their "smartphones". Sad

So why are you goofing off on the 7th day?
smile.gif

Anyway, they say that about 10% of the population is on drugs. They're not always that easy to spot, but they're out there.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Many people become addicts because they lack the skills to handle some of life's problems any other way besides getting high.

One of the main things a drug program will teach you is how to better handle these problems without resorting to getting high.

From the Promises:

That's good. My great grandfather apparently drank himself to death before my grandfather was born, which was 1893. The mother had to feed and raise several children, eight I think, and there were no social services to help. Women had no rights of any kind practically. A life of toil and hard times was all they had. I suppose that's why my grandfather went to work full time at age 13, and worked until 65. No labor laws, they had to work 12 hour shifts six days a week with no paid leave and no time off unless you didn't want the money, or the job. Hard times we don't understand today. Looking at pictures everyone was thin, and looked fit.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Every generation thinks anyone younger than they are is going to be the Downfall of Humanity.
Yep, been going on for thousands of years.

Originally Posted By: car51
Gathermewool: I have busted my tail doing 12+ hour days 6 days a week for about 5 years now. Most under 35'ers don't last where I work as they smoke or are constantly on their "smartphones". Sad

You've got to think of the typical socio-economic status of those who work in your field, your geographic area or at the level and rate you're hiring them at.

When I was 14 back in the 90's I got my first job in construction supply, making $5.25/hour. I started picking up scraps, stacking bricks and bags of mortar, and then, a year later, took some sort of quick class and was able to operate the fork lifts (they only let me drive backward, at first, moving the scrap and trash bins around - it was awesome!)

Most of the guys I worked with were hired at a higher rate than the local McDonalds, but not by much. Most had alcohol or drug issues, and some of them didn't make it long at all, even after multiple chances. The vast majority of the laziest workers were indeed young, but the drug addiction and alcoholism problems seemed most poorly-handled by the older guys, whose bodies probably couldn't hold up after so much abuse over so long a period.

I really like one guy who smelled like a brewery who worked off-and-on with us for the last couple of years I was there. He worked really hard, told great stories, and was (almost) never late for work. When he was late or didn't show up, though, he smelled worse like booze than usual. He was a great guy with a terrible disease. It makes me sad thinking about where he might be right now, if he's even still alive....

Today, I don't think I work as many hours as you, but those around me who are in my field work very hard, and usually harder than the older guys, maybe because they've put in their dues.

Some weeks I work only 40 hours, but others I work double that, clocking-in seven days per week for weeks on end. To be honest, I've considered taking a major pay cut in the form of another position that doesn't require shift work and sometimes-unpredictably long hours. I haven't, because I've done that before, and while it seems appealing during long hours and exhausting nights, I can still remember how absolutely boring previous cushy jobs were, going to meetings and doing paperwork all day - no thanks!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
One thing that does seem apparent is that they do change jobs a lot more. I think that may be more of a symptom of the times than the people. I just don't know.

It's sometimes a huge plus when looking to move up. My company encourages and rewards people who rotate and become more well-rounded. Before my current job I joined that program and remember thinking that the rotations were always too short, but the point wasn't to make you an expert in that one particular job, but to get a feel for how the different aspects of the company work, because it's much easier to lead many groups if you know what each does.

Some of the hardest workers, who put in the longest hours, are the younger go-getters. When go-getter was coined, I believe it was while referring to a young person, btw - I read it on the internet, so I'm pretty sure it's as good as gospel :p

^When I said change jobs I should have said change companies. I think it makes sense. I am willing to make allowances for the sake of consistency whereas younger people may be willing to company-hop to find the right environment. Most corporate environments are like public schools. They try to appeal to everyone, but end up appealing to almost no one.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^When I said change jobs I should have said change companies. I think it makes sense. I am willing to make allowances for the sake of consistency whereas younger people may be willing to company-hop to find the right environment. Most corporate environments are like public schools. They try to appeal to everyone, but end up appealing to almost no one.

I was one of the last people to join my company to receive a pension. Are there many private companies offering pensions (or even decent 401k programs, for that matter) these days?

Speaking of 401k's, it's easier than ever to roll one over to another company. If they don't offer one and you're maintaining your own retirement savings plan, then there really isn't anything tying you to one company, especially if you're not being challenged, work under poor conditions, or simply perpetually think the grass is greener.

I thought for sure that I would be moving on to somewhere, anywhere, after 5 years at my company. I wanted to travel, see/do exotic things and meet neat people. I think with the advent of the internet, many of us young people have that feeling, since we see it offered enticingly all the time. Many older people are set in their ways and haven't adopted the transient tendencies that some of us younger fold feel pulling us at all times.

Even now, I feel like it would be great to move to NH, CA, Italy, etc., but I've got a family and have finally set down roots, so that pull lessens year by year.

Maybe I've incorrectly painted a broad stroke, just as the OP has; it's just how I feel, and an alternative to the theory, that we're compelled by many factors to want to be somewhere else, maybe even that 'here' is never good enough, and finally that maybe the getting there is more important and exciting than the 'here' OR 'there'

In my field which is construction this is quite normal. Most contractors or day laborers have some sort of addiction or mental issues.

They come and go, are good for awhile than fall off the wagon again.

Typically with low paying jobs like at oil change shops they are just mills of people coming and going. Anyone who has their act together or who isn't 18 has a real job, those who are their are their for a reason.

Last edited:
While it is true, these people CHOSE to do drugs, an irresponsible and stupid decision, most addictions begin in early years, when we all tend to make some poor decisions(most of us anyway). The powerful addictive properties of these drugs are not realized, or just ignored. Like I said, poor decisions. But once addiction has developed, it IS a disease-even those who really want to stop in many cases need help. Using the drugs becomes not a choice, but a physical dependency. It is easy for us to label these people as losers, but I have seen (former) addicts who have realized their mistakes, and have become clean and turned their lives around, and become very productive members of society.

People are simply the results of the choices they made and to a lesser extant the environment they grew up in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

From the Promises:

Thank you Donald. Sure, the first drink or drug is a choice. But most of the time, people try things (alcohol or drugs) because of their inability to deal with life on life's terms. Alcohol and drugs provides a solution to that problem. But once Pandora's Box has been opened, addiction can take root.

One of my favorite creeds that I live by:

Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
When I am disturbed,
It is because I find some person, place, thing, situation --
Some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me,
And I can find no serenity until I accept
That person, place, thing, or situation
As being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake.
Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober;
Unless I accept life completely on life's terms,
I cannot be happy.
I need to concentrate not so much
On what needs to be changed in the world
As on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

The bottom line is: Unless you are an alcoholic or drug addict, you cannot understand what it's like to be stuck in that hole. Just like if you are an alcoholic or drug addict in recovery, you cannot appreciate the life we live sober. You gotta live it to believe it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Have NO illusions folks.

All of our perceptions and opinions are illusions.

Yes, as far as perceptions go. However, fact is fact (science) ... Everything is an an general flow from order to chaos from organized to disorganized ever since we blasted out of the singularity. Our universe is in decay, our orbits are in decay our bodies are oxidizing from day 1. There may be some temporary spurts of growth, our bodies may outrun decay for the first 20 years, our galaxy may benefit temporarily injection of new materials etc which create perception of "all is well with a balance ebb an flow". But make NO mistake. The ebbs and flows are in a small scale . The larger trend is towards decay, separation and disorganization. That is fact. As the above post mentions, we simply have to accept that. I kind of laugh when we talk in terms of miracles. Isn't that simply the largest possible declaration of denial of a truth?

"Yeah dud my dad is paraplegic now. I'm hoping for a miracle". What a joke. How about the truth... " my dad is paraplegic now, is too old to recover, and I don't like the fact that he's goin to die without having a day of retirement in a building where people who have enough of their own problems will check in and find him unceremoniously dead"

Thankfully we humans will have done ourselves in with war and pollution loooong before the sun blows our atmosphere away with a gentle puff.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Drugs and alcohol are poison to your body, no need for either.
Alcohol is the most widely abused drug in the world.
Read this in a medical book.

The current crop of young adults do seem to abuse drugs more than my generation. I attended high school in the mid-80s in a suburb of Minneapolis. While growing up nobody ever asked me if I wanted to try drugs, and none of my friends on the track team or in band did drugs. Some of my peers definitely used drugs in high school, but they were generally considered outcasts.

My stepson is in his mid-20s and has been taking prescription medication to treat Attention Deficit Disorder since he was in elementary school. He and most of his buddies smoke pot like it's no big thing. They've been doing it since their early teens, and many of them were high school athletes so I imagine that illicit drugs are more accepted than they were when I was that age. I think my stepson has trouble sleeping because of the ADD meds so he self-medicates with pot and Lord knows what else. I pity these young people who are always zonked-out on some sort of drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back