Police Officer Internal Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I watched an internal review of an officer that did a traffic stop and did an extensive body search of the suspect. Nothing was found and the officers own body cam footage was under peer review. Not an audit video

You could tell the review board was very unhappy with his attitude and the overreaching search.

However he was an arrogant jerk at the review process to his superiors. A loose cannon.

He was way behind in his reports and blew that off but what bothered me most was that he was not regularly turning in drugs from stops and investigations. What?

I need an education about this as I thought those items would be sealed in an evidence bag on the scene.

I have no idea but what's to stop a rogue cop from planting evidence on others?

In the end it did not tell of his fate but even when he was told his actions were improper he blew it off and was a condescending jerk.

The guy that was searched did not file a complaint
and it was simply an internal investigation.
Nothing was said if his partner reported it or not however.

This is not a police bash but I couldn't believe his actions were tolerated as much as they were by his superiors. I guess officers are hard to fire.

As a USA Hockey official I have said police officers and referees have at least 1 thing in common...

99% of us do the job because of the love of the game or the desire to serve the community. The other 1% are on a power trip. "I have the badge / whistle and I'm in charge!"

I am not looking to start an argument and pretend that refereeing hockey is anything like being a police officer just stating that 99% of us care about those around us and want to improve the situation. That said there is at least one in every crowd.

Just my $0.02

An overgeneralization, but there is some truth to that. Most police officers are diligent professionals but a few are skunks. But I would look at the culture of that police dept. before judging any individual...

As a USA Hockey official I have said police officers and referees have at least 1 thing in common...

99% of us do the job because of the love of the game or the desire to serve the community. The other 1% are on a power trip. "I have the badge / whistle and I'm in charge!"

I am not looking to start an argument and pretend that refereeing hockey is anything like being a police officer just stating that 99% of us care about those around us and want to improve the situation. That said there is at least one in every crowd.

Just my $0.02
As a former LEO ... I actually find a lot of truth in your statement. Though I cannot speak about NHL refs, the LEO perspective is pretty much spot on. The VAST majority of cops are good folks. Some are idiots on power trips.

As for the OPs storyline, I'm not sure of the origin, but I can say that often officers are a reflection of their higher-ups. I can say with absolute certainty that for the 25 years I served 4 different administrations, there was never one inkling of accepting anything but the most professional conduct at all levels. Had it been otherwise, I would not have stayed and moved to another agency.

I'd be interested in watching this "investigation"; can you send me a link in a PM?

As a former LEO ... I actually find a lot of truth in your statement. Though I cannot speak about NHL refs, the LEO perspective is pretty much spot on. The VAST majority of cops are good folks. Some are idiots on power trips.

As for the OPs storyline, I'm not sure of the origin, but I can say that often officers are a reflection of their higher-ups. I can say with absolute certainty that for the 25 years I served 4 different administrations, there was never one inkling of accepting anything but the most professional conduct at all levels. Had it been otherwise, I would not have stayed and moved to another agency.

I'd be interested in watching this "investigation"; can you send me a link in a PM?
I watched it a few weeks ago but will search for it and send you the link. I figured you may want to see it. Why post now?
It sort of bothered me.

I wouldn't want to be stopped by this guy on a basic traffic stop. A bit scary to think what could happen.

The VAST majority of cops are good folks. Some are idiots on power trips.
I would not have stayed and moved to another agency.

Why is it so hard for the good cops to call out the bad ones to clean up their own force? It never happens.

There needs to be licensing of police like the CDL system for truck drivers. Some people need to be nudged to a different career choice.

Why is it so hard for the good cops to call out the bad ones to clean up their own force? It never happens.

There needs to be licensing of police like the CDL system for truck drivers. Some people need to be nudged to a different career choice.
"Office politics" is why. Call out a bad cop, and chances are things will 'happen' to your career. I know that on a personal level.

Again - I think it depends upon the leadership at the agency. If they encourage ethics and morals from the top on down, then it's not hard at all to weed out the bad actors. Don't say "it never happens", because it certainly does. It's just that you probably are not aware of it. Many times these bad cops are weeded out by oversight/merit boards. I personally know of one officer that was fired in my department soon after I came on. There was complete and utter contempt for his actions from every level of our agency. There was no where for him to hide, because no one wanted to be associated with him.

When bad cops exist, it's typically not an isolated thing, and probably more of a culture of problems within the department. That sucks for the community and the only way to fix it is to either get those leaders out of their positions (typically at the voting booth), or move elsewhere.

And I want to be clear here ... In no way am I excusing or accepting bad behavior from cops; that makes me just as mad (if not more) than anyone here. I abhor unethical/illegal behavior from LEOs. They tarnish the otherwise shiny badge most of us try to present to the public. But I am a HUGE believer in "the process"; I want to see all the evidence of any accusals, and consider it in whole context. I do not appreciate the "media jury" approach which many news outlets use now; guilty until proven innocent. Cops are people and people are not perfect. Cops deserve every bit of fair justice as would any other citizen be afforded. They should, however, be held to the strictest of high standards.

Last edited:
This type of behavior by officers is what led to a Baltimore City consent decree issued by the DOJ.

Many administrations are very afraid of the unions and the resulting lawsuits. Sometimes i think they would accept a lawsuit from the victim than from the police union. Also, at least in our area, the police seem to have an "it is them or us attitude".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back