How stupid can people be?

I know.... Loaded question.

The place I work for has about 30 trucks and 50 or so pieces of equipment like bulldozers,excavators etc.

Everything has a gps tracker on it. Every employee knows this.

They have fired 3 guys this in the last 4 weeks or so for taking company vehicles to places they should not be.

Caught one guy doing side work on company time with company tractor. Another guy was going bar hopping on weekends in his assigned truck.

Now today they fired a guy for going out of route every day to the same house,every morning in the company truck on company time. Don't know if he has girl on the side or drugs or what.

How stupid does a person have to be to know they are being tracked but still does stuff to get caught?

What's the kicker is that the company does allow us to stop if on route to grab food as long as we don't take too long.

Imho some folks test the waters and if nothing happens then they proceed. Remember 20 years ago not all companies tracked internet usage, and then a product Websense became popular blocking or limiting categories. Today nobody cares. Seems local govt employees use municipal vehicles for personal errands, so it’s not outlandish that private employees might do the same. One would almost think using a co vehicle is for convenience (say that guy’s a rounder he hasn’t got time to grab his personal vehicle). Unless it’s tons of miles not work related…my .02

We have locating on all of our vehicles at the large agency I work at. I give everyone the speech - don't give me a reason to look, and you get paid by the hour, so don't be a moron.

And yet every year, at least one person gets surprised that I can find out exactly where the truck was, and when, and how fast they were going... And once you don't tell me the truth, good luck...

And the same deal for us - you can go get food, use the restroom, etc, so long its reasonable. Not hard, difficult, etc... Just don't be a moron...

(For what its worth, the system has also protected employees from bogus complaints - its a two way street :) )

Yes absolutely. They can go so far to track how fast you stop or corner or whatever. The telemetry available is infinite - if they really want to use it.

🥶 🤫 🤐

FHP got me doing 90 in a 50 mph construction zone last year, Trooper gave me a warning caused I did NOT try to BS him. Told him I was headed to business meeting 100 miles away.

Last edited:
Not about GPS, but about companies keep track of your activities.

Forty years ago, large company I worked at up North, had a toll free line (800 number) that was to be used for outgoing OFFICIAL calls.

A friend in my cubicle had a habit of phoning his mother in Florida every day using that line. (Remember, this was before cell phones). One day, I accidentally heard that the company was starting to track usage. Told my friend. He never used the line again.

🥶 🤫 🤐

FHP got me doing 90 in a 50 mph construction zone last year, Trooper gave me a warning caused I did NOT try to BS him. Told him I was headed to business meeting 100 miles away.

We have to know Mr. Hess……..!

Were you really driving 90 mph in a 50 mph construction zone?

People think they can do whatever they want sometimes. We make it clear to our employees that all vehicles are GPS tracked and all IT equipment activity can be tracked as well. They all sign acceptable use agreements outlining this as well and they're surprised and act all innocent when caught.

Back