Drug abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Every generation thinks anyone younger than they are is going to be the Downfall of Humanity.

Your parents' generation thought you would never amount to anything. Theirs before them did too. Yet somehow life goes on.

I blame the older generation for this situation.

Very well said good sir
11.gif

My dad is laying in hospital paraplegic (caused by a spinal stroke, not carelessness) with MRSA after 50dedicated years as a blue collar laborer.... And these guys are doing drugs with otherwise healthy bodies.

What a completely rotten planet, all that happens here is rot. People say, "oh imagine how bad it is in hades" Heck, there's nothing to imagine...it's HERE. Hades on Earth. This is where it IS worst. Look at what we do to eachother. We all are on borrowed time (maybe 80years of life).

A few bright points sure .. babies, sunsets, love.

The rest is a bunch of B.S. I enjoy being here but I am under no illusion that this is a great place. It's a twisted waiting room full of disease , crime, pain and irony. Have NO illusions folks.

SumpChump, none of us are going to get out of here alive. So we might as well enjoy the ride as best as we can. The OP's former colleagues have their own way. As long as they do not harm anyone, they are not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Donald
That seems unfortunate. Whether its alcohol or drugs its an addiction that some often need help with. It would have been better to say "either a drug treatment program or your fired". At least the first instance.

Addiction is a chronic disease for many rather than something they choose to do.

These people never had any drug like that forced down their throat, they choose to commit those actions willfully. Drug abuse is NOT a
disease because the individual CHOOSES to commit the acts. The only ones I would accept such a claim for are the newborn babies of women who are taking such addictive drugs and are born addicted themselves as they are helpless to control their situation .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
That seems unfortunate. Whether its alcohol or drugs its an addiction that some often need help with. It would have been better to say "either a drug treatment program or your fired". At least the first instance.

Addiction is a chronic disease for many rather than something they choose to do.

These people never had any drug like that forced down their throat, they choose to commit those actions willfully. Drug abuse is NOT a
disease because the individual CHOOSES to commit the acts.

The medical science disagrees with that.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

disease because the individual CHOOSES to commit the acts.

The medical science disagrees with that.

While some may have a predisposition to addiction due to brain chemistry, that predisposition does not direct the individual to use drugs.
From a biochemical perspective, drugs of addiction mimic and eventually displace neurotransmitters. It is not instant or automatic that addiction ensues.
Unless there is a severe physical withdrawal symptom or symptoms as in alcohol or opiate/opioid addiction, the addiction is psychological, and can be overcome without clinical assistance.
Getting to the point of addiction is a product of ignorance and irresponsibility. Moderation is lost on some people, and the end result is a population of non-functional people that are useless to the rest of us.

It would have been better to say "either a drug treatment program or your fired". At least the first instance.

I largely agree with Donald on the management of this issue. Whether or not it's an addiction isn't clear - let's call it substance abuse in the workplace.

I would have recommended tough love short of an outright dismissal in this the first instance. Maybe a week off without pay, with a letter of reprimand including a warning that if it happens again they're gone, a copy to be kept in their personnel file.

They need to know that the jig is up. If they want to continue with their behaviour, it would be better to do it somewhere else. If they want to shape up they could be there for the long haul.

The occupational medicine approach has a 65 - 75% success rate, defined as still in the job, with no known problems 5 years later. But the full deal would require some sort of medical surveillance not often available in a small business.

That "disease" copout is a load of [censored]. Having multiple relatives expire from substance abuse I can tell you it was their CHOICE to have a good time. while I was the square going to school.

Our new age (60's doper) leaders have normalized it to a sickness and removed personal responsibility for that behavior. Oh and they make a load of money from the CURING services.

I'm guessing a good percentage of new job applicants will also suffer this sickness [censored].

Last edited:
No one is addicted to coming to an oil forum, and no one comes to an oil forum during work hours and uses work time to read and post?

Originally Posted By: car51
What's with this under 35 generation that doesn't want to work; just party, excess and "I don't care attitude". Other than that work went well
wink.gif

How many hours have you worked this year so far? Want to compare with this under-35'er?

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Every generation thinks anyone younger than they are is going to be the Downfall of Humanity.

Your parents' generation thought you would never amount to anything. Theirs before them did too. Yet somehow life goes on.

I blame the older generation for this situation.

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Agreeing sarcastically, as is the post's intent, of course!

Gathermewool: I have busted my tail doing 12+ hour days 6 days a week for about 5 years now. Most under 35'ers don't last where I work as they smoke or are constantly on their "smartphones". Sad

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
That "disease" copout is a load of [censored]. Having multiple relatives expire from substance abuse I can tell you it was their CHOICE to have a good time. while I was the square going to school.

Our new age (60's doper) leaders have normalized it to a sickness and removed personal responsibility for that behavior. Oh and they make a load of money from the CURING services.

I'm guessing a good percentage of new job applicants will also suffer this sickness [censored].

AMEN !

I just turned 50. About fifteen years ago I worked with a supplier rep my age who told me that ours would be the last generation that actually expected to have to work for a living.

Was he right? I have seen some younger people work very hard and others not so much. I have also seen that in people my age. One thing that does seem apparent is that they do change jobs a lot more. I think that may be more of a symptom of the times than the people. I just don't know.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454

AMEN !

Drug addiction like this is a disease, physical and mental. Not a cop out, not an excuse, that's what it is. Go look it up on a medical site. Nothing new here, that's why they tried prohibition to attempt to inhibit alcoholism. That's the biggest drug addiction out there, to ethyl alcohol, a cleaning solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back