Does Ford still recommend BP gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that sticker on Fords too. Personally I don't use AM/PM/BP fuel. I know that they say gas is gas but I get much less mpg with BP fuel.

Anyway I bet that BP supplies Ford with fuel for the cars that roll off the assembly line. In exchange for the sticker in hopes that buyers will buy their product.

Shell here in South Florida was trashing peoples cars about 2 years ago when they had a unsually high sulphor content.Some people had to pay up to 1500 to 2k bucks to get their car fixed.It killed the gas gauge and some computer sensors.Then when Shell realized what was happening instead of cleaning out their tanks they just threw the improved gas on top of the old one.Haven't used Shell since even though its most lilely ok now.

Down here most like Chevron which is what i use in my 4.6 If i have to drive north and can't get Chevron like in upstate New York i use Exxon Mobill as their everywhere.

The government, usually individual states, regulates octane level and pump calibration not "detergent" levels. When car builders wanted to improve the "cleanliness" of fuel they got together and created the Top Tier standard. Legitimate or marketing ****, I have no idea but it doesn't have much to do with the government.

Around here all BP's sell Amoco gas as far as I know. There are almost no "Amoco" stations anymore as they all turned into "76" stations several years ago but then the "76's" turned into Shell stations a few years ago. I have a BMW with the Nikasil block and try to use only Amoco Ultimate 93 but have found Shell V Power to be quite nice also, at least by the butt dyno.
burnout.gif

quote:

Do you suppose that Ford got money for this recommendation???

what do you think? FORD would not send out millions of cars with "use BP gas!" signs unless they were getting paid, and my mom's new mustang says the same thing on her gas cap, odd that there are no BP stations aroun her... lol.

quote:

The government, usually individual states, regulates octane level and pump calibration not "detergent" levels. When car builders wanted to improve the "cleanliness" of fuel they got together and created the Top Tier standard. Legitimate or marketing ****, I have no idea but it doesn't have much to do with the government.

I believe the "Top Tier" scheme is legitimate and an honest effort to improve fuel quality by those companies that back it. After all, I have never seen any overt "Top Tier" marketing efforts and that's what convinces me of this.

quote:

Originally posted by Carbonics:

quote:

what do you think? FORD would not send out millions of cars with "use BP gas!" signs unless they were getting paid, and my mom's new mustang says the same thing on her gas cap, odd that there are no BP stations aroun her... lol.

It's the same thing with Volvo, where the oil caps all say "Castrol motor oils recommended".

Ford owns Volvo, and BP controls Castrol. No doubt some cross marketing arrangements are in place.

I'm very surprised that Motorcraft oil isn't made by Castrol.

VOLVOHEAD: Castrol isn't even made by Castrol, its made by different compounders-blenders across the USA.

Steelers
Member # 12340

posted 26 August, 2006 03:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 115 | From: Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2006 | IP: Logged |

Except in California.

rapid47
Member # 13372

posted 30 August, 2006 03:52
VOLVOHEAD: Castrol isn't even made by Castrol, its made by different compounders-blenders across the USA.
Posts: 6 | From: fla | Registered: Aug 2006 | IP: Logged |

Since BP bought castrol. Dont Think so.

Carbonics
Member # 13418

posted 29 August, 2006 00:53

quote:

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2006 | IP: Logged |

It's called ARCO. In California.

dave1251: please tell me one plant and its location that Castrol has in the USA that manufactures engine lubricants. Castrol is just a name they do not refine or for formulate any lubes in this country.

quote:

Originally posted by rapid47:
dave1251: please tell me one plant and its location that Castrol has in the USA that manufactures engine lubricants. Castrol is just a name they do not refine or for formulate any lubes in this country.

In the context of the original discussion, who really cares other than you? Talk about semantics.

So we'll call Castrol/BP a supplier in the original post. Doesn't change the import one bit. Feel better?

Nine posts. You're off to a stellar start around here.

I guess you have to have 660 useless posts on here that adds nothing to the site before you can be acceped.

dave1251: i guess you just cant stand the fact that a know-it-all such as yourself can be wrong.

I don't like BP's marketing. Linking detergency to octane keeps BP from qualifying for Top Tier status.

I usually buy QuikTrip (dominant St. Louis retailer), Phillips/Conoco or Shell. Although I'm not a major believer in branding of gas or oil I will steer towards top tier gas if the price is the same.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
. . . Linking detergency to octane keeps BP from qualifying for Top Tier status. . . .

Not completely so, depending on the grade involved. The regular and mid grades do not meet top tier. The premium grade (for the Amoco fuels here in the East) exceeds top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back