Piston soak - No Berryman B-12 available. What is next best?

I have a 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T. The vehicle is notorious for burning oil due to the design of the piston rings which get clogged. I am now burning close to 1 liter per 600km.

I know many people have recommended soaking the pistons with Berryman B-12, however I am unable to source this where I live (outside the US). I also don't believe I will be successful in obtaining Toyota or Mopar top engine cleaner.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend? How about mixing Toluene, Acetone, and Methanol in similar ratios to the Berryman B-12? I can source all 3 ingredients locally. Is there a risk in doing this?

Thanks

I know by the smell that Berryman’s contains a good amount of toluene. I’m not sure about the others so I’m afraid to comment on them, but if it were my Scion engine I would be willing to try them.

1712887923616.jpg

MEK would be my go-to, but I can't find any

Does not appear available.
We have BG, Liqui Moly, Motul, Valvoline, Eurol, Wurth

It looks like I can source MEK, but I haven't read about anyone using just this.
Goof Off is a type of paint thinner. MEK might be less volatile, since a lot of paint thinners use methanol and acetone, which don't stick around much for a soak. B-12 is not astronomically different from those. That which hastily goes after the gunk in your ring pack is tough on elastomers, so be careful where it flows.

Mek will Evaporate into the atmosphere overtime. I believe that is hard to get because it's in the same class as hydrocarbon refrigerants that damage The ozone layer. MEK is great for dissolving carbon deposits. If you can get it, make sure you wear very good protective goggles for your eyes.Because this is one wicked stuff that you don't want to ever touch your eye. Also wear gloves preferably very thick gloves. If I were using it for a piston soak I would be very concerned about it evaporating away and then leaving behind everything that it had loosened only to have it harden again. I think m e k would do a good jod of dissolving carbon deposits but you're going to need something to carry them away after they are dissolved. I would be thinking about something like just kerosene or diesel oil After the m e k had done its job. One thing to be aware of is that chlorine is an oxidizer and I believe m e k has chlorine in it. So, You would have to test a small sample of mek Expose to whatever solvent you were going to use to wash it away with the carbon after it had done its job To be sure that it's not going to self ignite or even self explode. I'm not really sure of the exact chemistry but it is something that I would be concerned about before actually mixing it with any kind of a hydrocarbon to carry it away.

Also, M e k is usually supplied as a gel, I think that's done to lessen it evaporating away. However, In gel form it's less likely to get down to the piston rings like you want it to.

Last edited:
If you are in Europe you can get this....

If you are in Europe you can get this....

Yes I can get Pro-Tec Engine Flush, Rheinol Oil System Cleaner, and GAT Engine Flush. I am trying to figure out (exactly) what the ingredients are. See attached.

Pro-Tec.jpg

Last edited:

Berryman 0116 B-12 composition / ingredients​

This table of ingredients is based on MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheets.

Ingredient name%
Toluene40 - 50
Acetone20 - 25
Methanol20 - 25
Methyl Ethyl Ketone1 - 5
2-Butoxyethanol1 - 5
2-Propanol1 - 5

Berryman 0116 B-12 composition / ingredients​

This table of ingredients is based on MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheets.

Ingredient name%
Toluene40 - 50
Acetone20 - 25
Methanol20 - 25
Methyl Ethyl Ketone1 - 5
2-Butoxyethanol1 - 5
2-Propanol1 - 5

Yes I haven't been able to find something else with similar ingredients. Many I think use naphtha. That is why I asked about simply buying Toluene, Acetone, and Methanol and mixing myself. However I am afraid that it will be unstable and that I will be missing something. Perhaps I should just add some Toluene to one of the other European engine flushes.

Like dissolves like. I’d bet gasoline would work fine. I’d add 25% acetone for a kicker. I’ve even thought E85 might be a good ring flush solvent with a good fuel injection cleaner mixed in.

Reactions: wlk
Bg epr or 44k might work, carburetor cleaner might work, high speed high rpm driving (with engine braking) might work

Yes I haven't been able to find something else with similar ingredients. Many I think use naphtha. That is why I asked about simply buying Toluene, Acetone, and Methanol and mixing myself. However I am afraid that it will be unstable and that I will be missing something. Perhaps I should just add some Toluene to one of the other European engine flushes.
Those ingredients are the major constituents in lacquer thinner if you can't found something similar to B12.

Back