Distributed Computing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
still not working.

I'm not retarded and I've hit everything possible to make it work regardless of idle etc.

its irritating me and about to be uninstall

my cpu also looks like an earthquake graph fluttering from 11% to 100% when its set on 100?

http://colt45.ws/misc/wcggpuenable.jpg Did you check this? I missed it and couldnt figure out why I wasnt getting GPU work for awhile.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
still not working.

I'm not retarded and I've hit everything possible to make it work regardless of idle etc.

my cpu also looks like an earthquake graph fluttering from 11% to 100% when its set on 100?

http://colt45.ws/misc/wcggpuenable.jpg Did you check this? I missed it and couldnt figure out why I wasnt getting GPU work for awhile.

Yep, this.

still not working.

Under Tools -> Computing Preferences -> Processor Usage tab -> On Multiprocessor systems use at most -> Set to 100%

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
After you do this, you may also have go into "Advanced" menu in BOINC Manager and select "Read config file" to force it to pull the config from WCG. Otherwise, BOINC Manager may be using your local config and ignoring the custom profile that you created on WCG.

Sorry. This is wrong. When you go into the "Advanced" menu in BOINC Manager, you need to press "Clear" to apply the web-based settings as opposed to your local ones.

But what Colt45 pointed out above will most likely fix your GPU processing problem.

ok thanks for all the help guys.

I was actually doing everything you said already.

Overkill messaged me and told me only the cancer project supports gpu.

I had it selected but it wasnt running. I aborted all the projects and then selected only the cancer project.

it started 4 threads of that.

3 on the cpu and 1 on the gpu

gpu was running at 97-98%

processor was still hopping around between 33 and 100% lagged out.

also my power consumption was jumping between 240-303watt.

not sure why its still doing this but at least The gpu thing is figured out.

I thought it was supposed to automatically use the gpu but apparantly it picked 4 non gpu projects to run.

also it seems like my gpu runs about 8-11x faster than a core on my processor
smile.gif
5.xx min vs about an hour

Last edited:
smile.gif

Makes me really jealous that none of my machines have a supported GPU to crunch.
smile.gif

ok thanks for all the help guys.

I was actually doing everything you said already.

Overkill messaged me and told me only the cancer project supports gpu.

I had it selected but it wasnt running. I aborted all the projects and then selected only the cancer project.

it started 4 threads of that.

3 on the cpu and 1 on the gpu

gpu was running at 97-98%

processor was still hopping around between 33 and 100% lagged out.

also my power consumption was jumping between 240-303watt.

not sure why its still doing this but at least The gpu thing is figured out.

I thought it was supposed to automatically use the gpu but apparantly it picked 4 non gpu projects to run.

smile.gif

Good to hear that you got it somewhat sorted
smile.gif

ok so somehow it got reset back to default projects again...

but its doing 3 random projects and 1 cancer with gpu...

which is what i wanted in the first place......

*bash head on wall*

oh well its working lol

this is not user friendly the only people who know [censored] is going on is the ones who used boinc for years.

ok so somehow it got reset back to default projects again...

but its doing 3 random projects and 1 cancer with gpu...

which is what i wanted in the first place......

If there aren't enough work units available for your designated project, WCG will send you work units from other random projects, if that's how you have it configured.

Need some advisement...

How many tasks do you get when you have a viable GPU in the mix?

I installed BOINC onto my 2008 MacBook Pro, which has an NVIDIA GPU. I enabled the use of GPU at all times. The event log shows this salient information:

Sat Nov 3 14:23:36 2012 | | OpenCL: NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce 8600M GT (driver version CLH 1.0, device version OpenCL 1.0, 512MB, 512MB available)
Sat Nov 3 14:25:50 2012 | | Benchmark results:
Sat Nov 3 14:25:50 2012 | | Number of CPUs: 2
Sat Nov 3 14:25:50 2012 | | 3030 floating point MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
Sat Nov 3 14:25:50 2012 | | 6174 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU

So it sees that I have a GPU, it runs the benchmarks, but the machine, that has a Core 2 Duo, shows only two tasks, not three. Shouldnt I have three active tasks since the to cores on the CPU each get one, and then the GPU gets one as well?

So even with a gpu in play, on a two-core system, I'll only process two work units at a time, correct? Does the gpu get biased to support one core's workload vs the other?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So even with a gpu in play, on a two-core system, I'll only process two work units at a time, correct? Does the gpu get biased to support one core's workload vs the other?

Thanks!

Correct, and yes, the one CPU core works with the GPU on work units whilst the other handles a work unit by itself.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Got it. Thats why one is able to complete in 3 hours versus 8...

Correct. It should also show CPU + GPU in BOINC Manager.

For example, regular work units, on one core show as needing 48 minutes to process on my system. Work units for the 5870 (indicated as CPU + GPU) showed as 3 minutes, 38 seconds. The 7970 chews through work units in just over a minute.

Where will it show this?

All mine on PC and mac look like this:

ScreenShot2012-11-03at71204PM.png

THe message file indicates GPU, and the difference in speed between the two workunits would imply it, but nothing seems to state it.

Should be right beside "running":

wgc.JPG

I would hazard to say that you aren't using your GPU.......

The difference between the work units is because they are for different projects and require different amounts of time to complete.

OK, apparently I need this CUDA driver?? Its a 635MB download. Will see where this takes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back