Distributed Computing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I posted a thread about this a few years back but not much ever came of it. Would anyone else be interested in starting up a Distributed computing team for BITOG? And if so which programs/projects would you like to work on? Folding@home, communitygrid, etc.

Last edited:
You're speaking in English, I just KNOW you are. But I still didn't understand a word of it!

I guess that means, no, I couldn't help.

I used to do SETI@home, but haven't for years now.(no particular reason...)

let me try and translate for other folks, based on my experience With SETI@home:

S.E.T.I., has tons and tons of raw data coming in that needs processing. you and others like you install their software on your pc. It then downloads a packet of data from the server, and processes it during your pc's Idle periods. then when it's all processed, uploads it, and gets another.
last i looked they even had programmed it to run on your GPU, rather than CPU.(can do more simultaneous calculations=handles more data faster)
you are basically volunteering some of your computers resources to scientific advancement. and helping them keep equipment costs down.

Last edited:
Long time crunching for me.I think since 2004.Now using Boinc with many projects.
sig.png

Last edited:
Well these are the primary options
BOINC (Big one is world community grid, looking for cures for malaria, cancer, muscular dystrophy, etc)
SETI@home: helping crunch through the info coming through the SETI
system, looking for ALIENS
shocked.gif

Folding@home: crunching through folding "proteins" to help find cures for various things.

The most user friendly of those is worldcommunitygrid through BOINC

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Team name is Bobistheoilguy.com
(want to use your GPU if you have one that can, etc)
and happy crunching!
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

I recommend using the advanced settings once the program is up. Join the team on the website.

Nick,

Do you know how well Boinc works with Kepler based GPU's? Im currently using F@H on my 680SLI rig, but i have to restart like twice a day due to GPU packages not working. I would love to help the BITOG team since this rig is stable at 5.0GHZ under water, and 1.3ghz on each GPU
grin.gif
. Tis a beast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brent_G
and happy crunching!

I recommend using the advanced settings once the program is up. Join the team on the website.

Nick,

Do you know how well Boinc works with Kepler based GPU's? Im currently using F@H on my 680SLI rig, but i have to restart like twice a day due to GPU packages not working. I would love to help the BITOG team since this rig is stable at 5.0GHZ under water, and 1.3ghz on each GPU
grin.gif
. Tis a beast.

Would work pretty well I think. I mean my 7850 cranks through them in less than 3 minutes.

and happy crunching!

Switched team to BITOG. Any other projects, or just this one?

Originally Posted By: MBS500
and happy crunching!

Switched team to BITOG. Any other projects, or just this one?

For the moment let's just try to get people to switch over to this one. I think this thread should be moved back to general where it will generate more traffic. Maybe I'll make an official thread and ask a mod to sticky it.

12 years ago I have done it, back when CPU was not power managed and used little power.

Now with all the power it uses and all the power management feature, I no longer do this, and would just shut the PC off or let it go into idle / stand by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back