"Screaming" Hard Drive ??

Yes, just in a newer form factor (M.2) on a much faster bus (PCI Express).

In your case you would just get a 2.5" SATA SSD and use a simple adapter to fit in in where your 3.5" drive resides.

There was an absolute minimum cost to HDD regardless of size and it was for years $40 USD, so the size keep increasing as the minimum you can order. SSD has broken this as they grow higher and higher density and are now cheaper (while maintaining the same size). Most new computers would come with at least some sort of SSD, like 256GB with only 2 nand chip / channel and no onboard DRAM, for example and be cheaper than the $40 HDD. This is great as most people would be better off eliminating mechanical latency even if it means they have to go with a DRAMless SSD that's much slower than the faster SSD.

Yes, just in a newer form factor (M.2) on a much faster bus (PCI Express).

In your case you would just get a 2.5" SATA SSD and use a simple adapter to fit in in where your 3.5" drive resides.
Exactly. You can also get a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket or just mount to the existing 3.5" slot with 1 screw. It is much lighter so you can get away with that. Some 2.5" SSD comes with a free bracket if you insist.

All this talk about hard drives and wouldn't you know it, this morning I'm having my coffee, and watching a Youtube video...... And my monitor took a dump. No nothing. Just like someone pulled the plug.

I unplugged it and plugged it. Nothing. I got 10+ years out of it. Either the power pack went, or the monitor itself. So this morning I went to Walmart and bought this Samsung:

Took it out of the box, plugged it in, and presto, I'm back in business. (I bought a new HDMI cable as well). I can't believe how much lighter the new one is.

My old LG was at least 4 to 5 times as heavy. Same deal with TV's. Last year I replaced an old 55" Samsung with a new 65" of the same. And it was less than half as heavy.

You guys are starting to get above my pay grade.
Basically, computer storage is constantly evolving, getting smaller/faster/cheaper, but a lot of the past standards like SATA (which is what your PC uses) are still common and drives with that interface are readily available.

The SATA interface was used in both desktops and laptops. SATA desktop mechanical spinning disk hard drives are 3.5" wide and laptop drives are much smaller and thinner at 2.5" wide. But while their power requirements differ (desktop drives require more juice), the power and data connections are identical. The is no reason you can't use 2.5" laptop drives in a desktop computer if you want to without any issues whatsoever beyond figuring out a way to mount them in the case. Cheap 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapters of varying styles make that easy. Lots of PC cases started coming with places for 2.5" drives to mount to.

Solid State Drives became mainstream when SATA was king. SSDs remove almost all of the latency from data reads/writes so they make any computer 'feel' a whole lot faster even though the SATA bus itself isn't any faster. SSDs just make lots better use of it.

SATA SSDs are made in only the 2.5" size since there is no reason at all to make one that's physically as large as a 3.5" desktop drive. They can be used in laptops and desktops and are a very easy and now-cheap way to bring new life into an old computer. The computer doesn't know or care that the hard drive attached to it is solid state since all the drive electronics are standards-based and backwards-compatible.

The only real issue with SSD hard drives (from a general-use PC or laptop standpoint) is that they are more expensive for the amount of storage you get when compared with a mechanical spinning drive. But the prices have come down so much over the years that it's not really an issue, especially when taking the amount of performance gained into account.

So if your drive is on the way out and you want to keep your computer running since it's doing everything you need it to do, spending like $50 and some time to swap it out and reinstall a newer version of Windows is a cheap and easy way to get a few more years out of it.

An old 4th gen i7 with 12GB of RAM and an SSD would be plenty fast for most tasks. My wife's decade-old homebuilt PC has a 3rd gen i5, 16GB and an SSD running Windows 10 and she still uses it with Adobe Creative Cloud and games on it.

Since I like to shop, these would be a good choice but I have no experience with either.

512GB SSD, $31: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6ZC5MS3

1TB SSD, $55: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WMP5B5N

3.5" adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZWX6PD

Your PC's hard drive mounts with screws from the bottom and not the sides. Not many 2.5" to 3.5" adapters have the bottom screw holes but this one does. Or you could just as easily zip-tie it, double-sided tape, velcro, chewed piece of Bubblicious, whatever, even leave it to just hang in there. An SSD weighs next to nothing and the power and data cables will keep it in place. Personally, I like using adapters for a more solid mount and a clean look.

Just giving you ideas. There's other threads here showing what's involved in reinstalling Windows.

You need to fix the fan noise issue first before anything else. :)

Since I like to shop, these would be a good choice but I have no experience with either.

512GB SSD, $31: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6ZC5MS3

1TB SSD, $55: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WMP5B5N

3.5" adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZWX6PD

Your PC's hard drive mounts with screws from the bottom and not the sides. Not many 2.5" to 3.5" adapters have the bottom screw holes but this one does. Or you could just as easily zip-tie it, double-sided tape, velcro, chewed piece of Bubblicious, whatever, even leave it to just hang in there. An SSD weighs next to nothing and the power and data cables will keep it in place. Personally, I like using adapters for a more solid mount and a clean look.

Just giving you ideas. There's other threads here showing what's involved in reinstalling Windows.

You need to fix the fan noise issue first before anything else. :)
FWIW, I linked a whole kit from PNY that includes cloning software a few posts up.

Back