Discussion: whats your ideal " doomsday vehicle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a decked out jeep would be fun for the zombie apocalypse. In case they overrun you, you can still get over them. In a prius, you are screwed.

Originally Posted By: ComfyShorts
aztec.jpg

Don't have to worry about somebody stealing your vehicle. Even zombies may shy away from it. Haha.

And btw, anyone been watching doomsday preppers (the show)?

I already have the making of mine.

A 2LT powered LN130 hilux surf with manual trans, mud tyres, lifted HD suspension and towbar.

Needs a front bar, fine stainless mesh over the windows / screens, and needs a heavy metal 2 piece plate welded over the sunroof, with gas struts to act as a turret / escape hatch!

Also needs some flood lights screwed along roof all round, for perimeter lighting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
M1A Abrams. Virtually EMP proof; blast resistant; great personal security; excellent off road capability. Impressive appearance assures easy access to fuel sources. Available colors include: standard olive drab, standard desert camo, standard temperate zone camo, or standard Artic white.

not to mention it's turbine engine is designed to run on most anything flammable. gas, diesel, whiskey, lighter fluid, etc.

..and the factory where they were made/are refurbished is right here local..excellent.. just have to make it through the secured perimeter...

A while ago, I had BJ42 Landcruiser. 3B 4 cyl diesel, simple, 5 speed would climb a wall. PTO winch, and could be made to run without electrickery...I liked/loved it, but not comfortable.

Post apocolypse, has to be EMP proof, carry my family, take lots of fuel on the scavenge, and carry "stuff" as needed...plus have room for a roof rack.

My Nissan, diesel, is not EMP proof, and certainly not able to eat anything, as the IP is pretty picky.

I like these that I've come across..

photo-1.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

And a few others.

The more I've been thinking over the years, the more I've narrowed down the vehicle frankenstein to....

A Landcruiser 45 chassis, with a 40/41/42 body on it, and the original ute bed stretched out back on new rails.

3B engine preferably, but H or 2H are all over the country.

Rear wheel arches (of the SWB body) cut out, and beer kegs installed either side for fuel as and when required...3 Bosch pump can run SAE 30 engine oil straight, so any mix is pretty OK.

Bicycle or the aforementioned pit bike.

Noise will attract zombies. You'll have time. Pedal.

A 150 MPG motorized bike makes sense and you can still pedal when you need stealth.

Cars and debris will be blocking roadways. You want something you can lift and chuck over a chain link fence, especially at the border.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
M1A Abrams. Virtually EMP proof; blast resistant; great personal security; excellent off road capability. Impressive appearance assures easy access to fuel sources. Available colors include: standard olive drab, standard desert camo, standard temperate zone camo, or standard Artic white.

not to mention it's turbine engine is designed to run on most anything flammable. gas, diesel, whiskey, lighter fluid, etc.

..and the factory where they were made/are refurbished is right here local..excellent.. just have to make it through the secured perimeter...

This!
grin.gif

tundra503_2.jpg

I have a pair of these. Good for snowmageddon!
I imagine they would run OK on 3 year old gas mixed with used motor oil
57.gif

In the summer I guess my Tracker would have to do. Gas sipping and having 4-low are good attributes to have.

My old '87 Cherokee that I finally got rid of.

Ran like a champ. If needed, bubble gum and bailing wire will keep it running. Plenty enclosed space to haul people/supplies. Modest off road capability.

Plus, it already looked like it belonged in a post apocalyptic world. Flat black primer paint job for the win!

209m2rq.jpg

(Not seen: Passenger side rear door window -the small one that doesn't roll down - replaced with sheet metal from an old computer case.)

Last edited:
problem with jeeps is they get 15MPGs lol
If it was a very post Apocalypse like the walking dead and theres enough stray cars and gas stations around and you have the tools to collect gas then a jeep would be awesome with a few aux gas tanks.
but if its a deal where everyone is still alive then being able to stay away from areas with gas would be ideal since they will be targets. i gotta say I like the horse idea, humans have been doing it for a very very long time and have been proven to work

gas not found and stabil'ed inside of 6 months will be useless.

diesel better, but you'll have to make it after your favorite spot runs dry. i wouldn't count on it for more than a few years, soon after, the starter battery is toast, the clutch is cooked... and you're going to spend most of your time trying to find/grow food, not make fuel.

and it gets 2 gallons per mile.

You can't gun and drive and load at the same time.

They don't give you nearly enough AP Canister rounds. The depleted uranium FSDS is awesome against homogeneous steel but not much use against a horde of attackers. That's what you get. You do have a coaxial machine gun. that helps.

I would rather have an M113. Armored, you can traverse water with it, it get's closer to 5 mpg and it will carry a lot more than the bustle rack of a tank.

the car you need for doomsday, is a model "A" ford 1930. cause it can be adjusted to run on any thing that flows throw a pipe. ie, any alcohol, kerosene, gasoline, benzene, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back