Defective Oil Filters at WalMart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Fram Ultra X2 at WalMart a few weeks back. When I opened the box (at home) I noticed some small dents. I don't take chances when I have an opportunity to exchange, so I went back and exchanged it. Going back yesterday, I decided to get another X2 for the stash and saw an opened box. Yep, it was the same one I had returned previously, back on the shelf. Buyer beware.

Nice...not surprising though. At least this could maybe be chalked up to lack of knowledge or ignorance, unlike the the used filters and oil people have posted about. Just the fact that someone would even think of doing that discusts me!

Small dents in the outer can does not mean it is a defective oil filter. My vehicle uses a cartridge type oil filter and I've often wondered what kind of damage is inside a spin-on. Stuff like punctured media, end caps not fully sealed, metal shaving from the threading mechine etc.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Small dents in the outer can does not mean it is a defective oil filter. My vehicle uses a cartridge type oil filter and I've often wondered what kind of damage is inside a spin-on. Stuff like punctured media, end caps not fully sealed, metal shaving from the threading mechine etc.

No, small dents mean it's a suspected defective oil filter. If you had recently seen oil filters pressure tested to failure at 300 + psi and seen example of dented canisters, as I recently have, you would have exchanged it too. IN all likelihood it was safe to use but why not exchange it if the option exists. What I did not expect was to see it back on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Bought a Fram Ultra X2 at WalMart a few weeks back. When I opened the box (at home) I noticed some small dents. I don't take chances when I have an opportunity to exchange, so I went back and exchanged it. Going back yesterday, I decided to get another X2 for the stash and saw an opened box. Yep, it was the same one I had returned previously, back on the shelf. Buyer beware.

You are just being anal.

I returned the PU I bought there with the $5 off hoping to pair it with the 10 dollar rebate, but it was a no go so I went for my money back, they didn't even check the seal, and it was back on the shelf the next day...

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

You are just being anal.

If I bought a brand new OCOD and beat it a few times with a wrench and left dents, would you still use it if I gave it to you?

I want to see how loyal you are to FRAM. Technically, the filter should still hold up since it's only "cosmetic damage".

Originally Posted By: poiuy223

If I bought a brand new OCOD and beat it a few times with a wrench and left dents, would you still use it if I gave it to you?

I honestly believe he would use it.

For this reason, I inspect the filter and verify the oil container is unopened before I get to the register.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: poiuy223

I honestly believe he would use it.

Hmmm...where'd he go? Not quick on chiming in on this one?

Although any filter manufacturer has a vested interest in selling more filters, I think this quote from the Baldwin link says it all:

"While the dent may seem insignifcant, the cost of replacing a filter is far less than the damages that may result from a failure."

I dropped one of my precious Motorcrafts during installation once...only fell 2 feet (at most...car was on ramps) but it put a dime-sized dent in the can. Into the trash it went...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have used dented filters...the one on my Jeep was dented. First startup, the pressure popped the dent out.

I have also used dented filters with no bad results... but it's a bit of Russian Roulette, albeit with a cylinder that has 100,000 chambers. If you get it from the store damaged and have the easy option to exchange it, why not. If you can't exchange it, or it's too much trouble, that's when you gotta give the cylinder a spin or trash the filter.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

You are just being anal.

You haven't been banned yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back