Dealer acquisition dept. wants to purchase a vehicle I’m selling privately.

I bought a 2012 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 last year as something to drive while I search for a vehicle after selling mine. It had 49k miles on it and the only thing I did to it was change the oil and replaced the front and rear brake pads. It’s an ok car but not my style as I’m more into performance oriented vehicles.

I posted the car on Craigslist at $16,800 per kbb and know this won’t be an easy sell. I had a dealer reach out today through email and offered me $15,000 after asking for the vin. They are a large dealer (koons) and guaranteed that the numbers won’t change once I get there. I let them know in advance that I won’t be buying a replacement from them and they said the acquisitions dept. is something new and they don’t require for a customer to buy a vehicle from them. I buy all my vehicles privately unless buying brand new.

The car will need new tires before next winter and I’ve decided that right now is a good time to sell considering I paid $6k less for it last year than what they’re offering even though I’m in line with KBB.

I haven’t found a replacement vehicle yet as it’s very difficult in todays market but right now is a good time to sell the Cadillac. This is my first GM that I’ve owned other than a GMT400 that I picked up 5 years back and plan to keep it forever as I don’t put any miles on it other than use it on occasion for things that would fit in its 8’ bed that wouldn’t normally fit into any of my other cars. It’s in pristine shape and would fetch a lot money in todays market and values will only continue to climb for that truck. I’m a bit disappointed with the Cadillac as I compare it to Infiniti, Lexus and Acura models I’ve owned in the past.

I plan to take it in tomorrow and will see how the process goes. I’ve always sold privately as well so this would be something new. I’m wondering what they will sell the Cadillac for and if they will transfer it to a more in demand location.

Here is the ad for the Cadillac:

Last edited:
$15,500 and as is condition. Don't let them hammer you on tires, etc. Take money and avoid tire kickers.

No kidding at all, they'll probably as $22k, and they'll sell it. Used cars are hot right now. My 21 year old ford is going for $2k more than what I paid 2 years ago. A 120k poor / good condition taurus..

You suggest for me try to get another $500 from them? I asked and they said $15,000 is the max they can go.
Yes, they're just giving you the least amount they would pay for the vehicle.. If its in good shape other than wear items, ie tires, you could easily get more from them.
Who would offer you the most they could pay right off the bat over the phone... Again, they are making at least $4k on the sale. If the paint and interior are good, you're good. They'll call you after you leave, or the next day.

I have sold a vehicle to a dealer before. It was even a Chevy dealer and I got what I figured I was gonna end up taking for it. Far easier than dealing with tire kickers and scammers on craigs list.

It actually makes shopping around easier as you can leverage that knowledge on what someone will give you for trade in.

Private party sale for that car is $22 - $24 around me... Are you sure your pricing this right? Retail is like $26

Hell, I'll sell it for you for $800..

$15k max.. Ducking anything that comes out of a dealers mouth is always bullshite.

So looks like that is a decent price at $15,500.
Sorry about the confusion, I don't know how I got to 2014.. I take it the 2012 vs 2014 is a big change..

I bought a 2012 Cadillac CTS4 3.6 last year as something to drive while I search for a vehicle after selling mine. It had 49k miles on it and the only thing I did to it was change the oil and replaced the front and rear brake pads. It’s an ok car but not my style as I’m more into performance oriented vehicles.

I posted the car on Craigslist at $16,800 per kbb and know this won’t be an easy sell. I had a dealer reach out today through email and offered me $15,000 after asking for the vin. They are a large dealer (koons) and guaranteed that the numbers won’t change once I get there. I let them know in advance that I won’t be buying a replacement from them and they said the acquisitions dept. is something new and they don’t require for a customer to buy a vehicle from them. I buy all my vehicles privately unless buying brand new.

The car will need new tires before next winter and I’ve decided that right now is a good time to sell considering I paid $6k less for it last year than what they’re offering even though I’m in line with KBB.

I haven’t found a replacement vehicle yet as it’s very difficult in todays market but right now is a good time to sell the Cadillac. This is my first GM that I’ve owned other than a GMT400 that I picked up 5 years back and plan to keep it forever as I don’t put any miles on it other than use it on occasion for things that would fit in its 8’ bed that wouldn’t normally fit into any of my other cars. It’s in pristine shape and would fetch a lot money in todays market and values will only continue to climb for that truck. I’m a bit disappointed with the Cadillac as I compare it to Infiniti, Lexus and Acura models I’ve owned in the past.

I plan to take it in tomorrow and will see how the process goes. I’ve always sold privately as well so this would be something new. I’m wondering what they will sell the Cadillac for and if they will transfer it to a more in demand location.

Here is the ad for the Cadillac:

That's a sweet car!(y) I wouldn't want get rid of it.

I had a 1978 Indy Pace Car Corvette I listed privately, and ended up selling to a dealer who came to my house. I priced it on the high end, and after 3 weeks of listing it in a couple of those "Auto Trader" type magazines, I wasn't getting any bites.

I did have one guy show up and give me a ridiculous low ball offer. Some Ricardo Suave type in tight leather pants, gold chains, and a painted up girlfriend in tow.

Then this guy showed up one day, and offered me asking price for cash. I followed him, and my wife followed me to the dealer. He cut me a cashiers check for the full amount, I signed the back of the title and gave him the keys, and we were on our way. It took all of 10 minutes.

Money is money, and talk is cheap. If a dealer or salesman offers you what you are satisfied with, why not take it? And don't concern yourself with what happens to the car after you cash the check. Or what they sell it for.

Try another dealer just to see if they’re interested as well. Who knows? Maybe they’d offer you more! :unsure:

That sure is a nice Caddy, best of luck,
CB

Back