Damage to my car from local shop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: silverrat
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357217/How_much_to_repaint_bumper?

You knew the paint was cracked and brittle. It's not completely their fault. They wouldn't know brushing up against the bumper would cause paint to chip off.

IMO, based on this, the shop is not responsible at all for your bumper. You knew the paint was weak and defective beforehand. They had no way of knowing that. 100% completely not their fault.

WOW, that's messed up to blame others for it, no wonder places like these are reluctant to help someone who ACTUALLY gets screwed because even they get scammed every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: silverrat
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357217/How_much_to_repaint_bumper?

You knew the paint was cracked and brittle. It's not completely their fault. They wouldn't know brushing up against the bumper would cause paint to chip off.

IMO, based on this, the shop is not responsible at all for your bumper. You knew the paint was weak and defective beforehand. They had no way of knowing that. 100% completely not their fault.

WOW, that's messed up to blame others for it, no wonder places like these are reluctant to help someone who ACTUALLY gets screwed because even they get scammed every once in a while.

The rims are absolutely the shops fault, they didnt even question me on the phone. They know me well, and I know them. I would never accuse anyone of something that wasn't there fault. I understand the bumper paint is more brittle than usual. It was repainted under the PO ownership. I will show it to them, I don't expect they will do anything, but the fact is, it wasn't messed up before the shop, now it is. Whether or now anyone knew the paint wasn't in the best of condition you have to apply a decent amount of force to chip and crack paint.

I'm by no means a friend of most mechanics they're largley scammers. However your an honest shops worst nightmare. If I were them I'd post a photo of you and your car to make sure your not allowed to come in again. Your bumper is 100% pre existing damage, and your plastic hub caps are scratched really? Learn to do a bare minimum of your own repairs if your going to be this much of a nudge.

Last edited:
As many of the others have said, I can see the rims as possibly being their fault. However, the paint on the bumper sounds as if it were defective before you brought it in. Someone leaning on a bumper should not cause that type of damage.

This shop knows me well, I started using them because my father has used them for 15+ years. They know I wouldn't pull anything over on them. Like I said, when I spoke on the phone, there were no questions asked. When I bought the car, I had the scratched rims replaced because they are cheap and detract from the aesthetics of the car. Only $40 or so a piece on Amazon. This shop installed them for me. Plus, when you wash your car once a week and give it a good once over very frequently, you know when there is a new scratch on it, I am sure many of you on here are the same way. Its a little sickening to have so many of you making accusations.

Last edited:
You take your car to a mechanic to have brakes and hubcaps installed on your car? I'm amazed you're able to change your own oil.

Interesting how many folks around here are defending
SLOPPY workmanship.

I'm very sorry for the OP, but it just proves it over and over and over again how [censored] so many "professional shops" are, not to mention the equally "professional mechanics". But you never see the industry attempt to curb the lousy customer service on a industry wide scale...ever. WHY? Because the crooks make a fortune screwing the customer.

The fact that they clearly mishandled the hubcaps and wheels shows the general consideration they have for the rest of the vehicle.
So while the paint may have been a bit brittle the monkey working on the car probably was careless enough to cause further damage.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
SLOPPY workmanship.

I'm very sorry for the OP, but it just proves it over and over and over again how [censored] so many "professional shops" are, not to mention the equally "professional mechanics". But you never see the industry attempt to curb the lousy customer service on a industry wide scale...ever. WHY? Because the crooks make a fortune screwing the customer.

The fact that they clearly mishandled the hubcaps and wheels shows the general consideration they have for the rest of the vehicle.
So while the paint may have been a bit brittle the monkey working on the car probably was careless enough to cause further damage.

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head.

SLOPPY workmanship.

You really should seek some help...

Greg -

Definitely work on the new hub caps if they were scratched - it happens and I am sure the dealership will make it right.

The paint? You knew it was brittle and cracked - the tech leaned in and put the old pads in your trunk and it cracked...it happens. You know the paint was [censored] - don't blame someone else for that.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
They know I wouldn't pull anything over on them.

Well, with the bumper at least, that appears to be what you are doing. You want them to cover or pay half the cost of repairing a bumper that already needed paint beforehand, because the paint was defective.

Quote:
Its a little sickening to have so many of you making accusations.

It's a little sickening to try to get someone else on the hook for a preexisting problem with the car.

You knew the paint had issues before you took the car in. You put the brakes in the trunk, and it is reasonable to assume someone might touch the weak paint on the rear bumper while removing something from the trunk. You did not inform the shop of the weak paint, which would have given them notice to be careful of the rear bumper area. You could have put the brake parts on the floorboard somewhere, or at least given the shop a heads up to be careful of the rear bumper area. I'm not saying it was your intention to nail them for this before you brought the car in, but it is unreasonable to pin this on them when you gave them no warning. How were they supposed to know the paint was so weak? This probably would not have happened at all had the paint not already had issues.

Bottom line, the car had messed up paint on the bumper before you took it in. It needed the bumper repainted before you took it in. You knew this. That makes it nobody elses responsibility. It was already defective.

The hubcaps are another matter. If they were not scratched before the shop had the car, they are responsible for that. Not the bumper though.

If I owned this shop, I'd buy you four new hubcaps, then tell you not to come back.

Why haven't you posted pictures of the damage?

We all know Antiqueshell's attitude towards mechanics - everyone is out to rip you off. Yet I'm sure he wouldn't make it a week if he worked in a professional shop.

Greg - I will say this in the nicest way I can. It's an 8 year old Honda with 125k miles on it. It's going to get scratched at some point no matter what you do.

The sooner you accept that fact, the less likely you are to give yourself a brain aneurysm.

I agree with another poster. The shop is going to buy you 4 cheap hubcaps and tell you to never set foot on their premises again. Do you really want to lose what sounds like a decent shop over some scratches in plastic wheel covers?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
SLOPPY workmanship.

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head.

You're quite welcome.

The attitude of some here who likely have some connection with
repair shops is VERY telling...instead of conceding that your shop was sloppy and damaged your vehicle they are only interested in
attacking the customer with a reasonable concern about the quality of work done, and trying to put the onus on you as well.

Are there any shops that are both competent and honest?
Yes, but they are like finding a needle in a haystack. Rare birds indeed. The overwhelming majority of these businesses are really horrible.

Nobody is "attacking" him, just trying to point out that what he's doing is dishonest. He posted previously that his bumper had messed up, weak, easily damaged paint. He did not warn the shop of the stink they were about to get into over a car coming into their shop with already messed up paint.

And you are right...I have a connection with a repair shop. It's directly to my right. Even worse, it's a $TEALER$HIP repair shop! Conspiracy! Right now we are overcharging Obama for a kunuder valve on his spaceship...and a Jewish mechanic is working on it.
crazy.gif

They also damaged his wheels and hubcaps. The paint issue aside, they didn't take REASONABLE care of his property. They were sloppy.
This kind of poop happens all the time at many auto repair shops. It is inexcusable to not take REASONABLE CARE of a customers property.

I see that you don't want to make excuses for that do you?
crackmeup2.gif
whistle.gif

Actually, if you read my posts instead of getting into another $TEALER$HIP frenzy, I said they should be responsible for the hubcaps, if they actually scratched them. Trying to nail them for the bumper puts the whole thing in question. Hold them accountable for what they actually did, don't try to get them on the hook for things that are not their fault.

You seem to be quite the consumer advocate, but then turn around and encourage the consumer to hold a business accountable for something that is not their fault. I hope you realize that does NOT work to the advantage of consumers as a whole.

I never said that the shop should be responsible for the paint
damage...But they need to be for the wheels and hubcaps...
even so that damage automatically brings into question whether or not they did in fact damage the paint by rough handling.
It shows a lack of reasonable care in general.

Like I mentioned before, this kind of carelessness, incompetence, and even fraudulent behavior seems to be the norm in the auto repair business. The honest, competent shop is the rare exception.

The only way I can even imagine a shop damaging steel wheels and plastic hubcaps while doing a brake job is if they hit the curb while pulling it around the side of the building and into the bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back