Bad year with the deer.

JTK

We've had a really bad year with this. Back in October, my wife had one dart out in front of her in her 2019 Pathfinder. It did nearly $9K in damage. It came over the bumper impact beam, smashed the radiator, condenser, etc.. It was around $8750 in damage, but the collision shopped padded it up a bit with diag charges, etc.

I was on my way into work at 3am on 12/24 and had one rocket out of the brush right in front of me in my 2022 Frontier. I was going ~45mph and was able to stomp the brake pedal, but it was still a solid hit on front left corner. I broke the drive's side headlamp mounting points, cracked the grille, bumper, lost the fog light blank. Lost the grille emblem. Other than that, so far so good. The radar sensor(s) are all good.

A work buddy of mine helped me snap everything mostly back in place, but there's not much holding the headlamp in place. Even the basic halogens like I have are $700/ea.

I really don't want to file another comprehensive claim so close together like this, so I may live with it as long as possible. Currently covering two college aged kids on my policy along with my wife an I. Soon to have a 3rd kid on our insurance. It's so expensive now, it's out of reach for a young male to have a policy on their own. It's ain't like it used to be.

UVrpZssl.jpg

FtKd6dll.jpg

R9hryAXl.jpg

AcfVWhWl.jpg

I leave my house at 4:30 am and see deer lurking on the side of the roads almost every day. They're the primary reason I don't ride motorcycles any more. I've had 3 deer impacts in my lifetime and always wonder the outcome would be if I had been on a bike.

That's a bummer. Deer suck!
They really do. I get it that they were here before us and would be nature's protein source in the event of an apocalypse, but good grief they're bad this year. Mild winter, second rut, etc.

I leave my house at 4:30 am and see deer lurking on the side of the roads almost every day. They're the primary reason I don't ride motorcycles any more. I've had 3 deer impacts in my lifetime and always wonder the outcome would be if I had been on a bike.
I wonder the same thing for those on two wheels. I live on a long windy, hilly, scenic country highway that's very popular with the motorcyclists.

I'm always mindful of the wild life situation and have had (luckily) much lighter hits with them over the years. Nothing like this year for either my wife or I.

I’ve hit five of them, but that’s rookie numbers compared to my wife. We were bringing her brand new 2003 Corolla home from the dealer, I was in front and saw her flash her lights and pull over. A big buck had ran between us and it managed to take out her hood and every panel down the passenger side. She was so angry! It was terrible. That car was never the same after that.

I really don't want to file another comprehensive claim so close together like this, so I may live with it as long as possible. Currently covering two college aged kids on my policy along with my wife an I. Soon to have a 3rd kid on our insurance.
Ouch. My insurance is bad too, kids are so cheap to have… Good luck fixing it to something “good enough”.

They have seemed thicker than normal here, too. I don't know what it is.

This is where it's nice to own something in that sweet spot of worth-fixing but not-worth-seeking-perfection. Bolt on new panels as you can, don't worry if body lines or gaps are off, and soldier on.

I've never had a problem sourcing CAPA aftermarket headlamps quite affordably for the applications I've worked on.

Sure, maybe it's even nicer to have C&C, but around here all body shops are 3 months out. And I also have one friend who simply couldn't file another claim without premiums skyrocketing.

Reactions: JTK
I was driving to wheeling,wv the other day(back way not I-77>I-70) and saw about 25.
I even questioned if this was a good idea at all.(was after dark).
Didnt win the bad lottery though.

We are overwhelmed with them where I live. Over 100 per square mile in some spots. I’ve counted 125 + in a 40 acre field at dusk. I let a friend hunt on my property and he shoots 3-5 a year but they are eating landscaping they haven’t touched in the past. The population just keeps growing. Our city hired a group to sharpshoot something like 100 per year for the next few years to help, but I’m not convinced it will do much.

Edit- The goal is to kill 1,000 deer over 5 years in a 30 sq mile area.

Hit a deer in Arkansas when I had the old BMW r100 gs. I was in a curve to the left the deer came from my right. I hit it and just went right over it crushing its ribcage. A couple of locals saw the incident and stopped to help. No damage to the bike except for a oil cooler line that got loose. Lost 3/4 qt of oil before I noticed it. The locals took the deer since it was just hit. Hope they had lots of good meals from that yearling buck. Pretty sure there was some divine intervention going on. We'll leave it at that.

Dear suck. Just avoided a deer incident a week ago in the Maverick when the Lady Friend screamed DEER! Thankfully that deer turned around and headed back into the woods. It was running right for the road. Thank you Jesus.

We are overwhelmed with them where I live. Over 100 per square mile in some spots. I’ve counted 125 + in a 40 acre field at dusk. I let a friend hunt on my property and he shoots 3-5 a year but they are eating landscaping they haven’t touched in the past. The population just keeps growing. Our city hired a group to sharpshoot something like 100 per year for the next few years to help, but I’m not convinced it will do much.

Edit- The goal is to kill 1,000 deer over 5 years in a 30 sq mile area.

I think there might be more deer in Missouri than people.

We drove from SW Ontario to Connecticut last November to visit relatives, I've been doing this drive for over 34 years and this one showed the least amount of animal carnage ever. We usually see many deer, skunk, cats, racoons but this time it was pretty clean.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
We drove from SW Ontario to Connecticut last November to visit relatives, I've been doing this drive for over 34 years and this one showed the least amount of animal carnage ever. We usually see many deer, skunk, cats, racoons but this time it was pretty clean.
This year the "Deer Smears" on the roads are above average. They are well feed around here. Lots of corn, wheat and beans grown around here. Would probably be less deer killed if people were not speeding and paying more attention to their driving, not their phones.

Last edited:
Back