How much to repaint bumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity...about how much would it cost to repaint the rear bumper on a 2006 Honda Accord? Rear bumper is starting to crack, and if it gets bad enough I would like to have it repainted. Not at a Maaco type shop, but at an independent body shop. Any idea how much for the rear bumper only? And then for the rear and front bumper? The paint is a gold metallic type. Desert mist metallic is the actual color.

Anywhere from 250-900 per element ...

EBay - has pre painted bumpers....
I bought one before color match was 99.9% I'm picky and its holding up same as OEM ....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ndx
Anywhere from 250-900 per element ...

EBay - has pre painted bumpers....
I bought one before color match was 99.9% I'm picky and its holding up same as OEM ....

$900!!! 0.0 I don't have that kind of money. Overall the paint is in good shape, and I plan on keeping the Accord for years to come, just want her to look decent as she ages. Is there any way to slow down the cracking of paint? Would regular waxing help or not make any difference..

Originally Posted By: heynow
Post some pictures of the cracking?

CAM004231_zps50880d34.jpg

CAM004221_zps1eccb2e9.jpg

this is just showing you where the crack are in relation the the bumper
CAM004251_zps4dc3cbbe.jpg

Last edited:
Bottom pic shows hairline cracks on the right side of rear bumper, look closely. They have been there for 2 years and have hardly got worse, those however must have been caused by something actually pressing on the bumper causing paint to crack, these new cracks came out of nowhere.

Right now it looks great ! I wouldn't touch it until it fail...
Almost not visible ...

And yes 900 would be an euro shop...

I'm sure that you can find some good local shop 250+ for element .

Otherwise pre painted on eBay or scrape yard find rear in color shouldn't be a problem
smile.gif

I would wax the bumper once a month after washing the car. Waxing it often may/may not slow down the cracking but it sure doesn't speed it up.

I had similar issues but im sure it was because mine was repainted in spots already. I recalled a couple years ago someone rear ended me..no damage or at least i thought...til i noticed paint cracking similar to this..and it made me think that the rear ending caused it..a month ago someone hit and run my car..damaging back bumper and rear tail light. Total repair was 1500$. New back bumper, painted to match, rear lens cover etc. If you want it repainted i assume they remove the bumper, sand it all and repaint it..id guess 4-600$. Best bet would be to see a rough estimate from one of these shops..i might be way off..duno..

Judging from the photos, I think that bumper was a respray.

The last time I had a bumper repainted, they billed out 8 hours labor at their regular shop rate.

I would expect the price to be in the $500 range for the average production shop.

Around here there are a couple of guys who go from dealer to dealer doing small paint jobs. Bumper covers mostly on trade ins. They look like new after they get finished.

At a decent body shop probably 400 ish around here (including them removing/replacing the part).

I've done a couple ebay bumpers and have been pleased, though all were from the same vendor in northern Illinois. (My 2006 Accord had an ebay front bumper, perfect match).

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
The cracks will stop when you quit running into things (or things quit running into you).

Rest comfortably in the knowledge that as you drive by at highway speed that nobody will notice the cracks ....

These cracks were not induced by me thank you. And I always park way out in the back of parking lots to avoid others hitting me. I guess Ill just wait and see if it gets worse, if it does Ill get a quote on the front and rear, since the front has some rock chip damage.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
The cracks will stop when you quit running into things (or things quit running into you).

Rest comfortably in the knowledge that as you drive by at highway speed that nobody will notice the cracks ....

These cracks were not induced by me thank you.

How long have you owned the car? Is it original paint?
I have never seen the bumper just crack on it's own...
I owned a '93 accord for 14 yrs and the only crack in the back bumper paint was wife induced.

I agree on the $400-600 range for labor, prep and paint. Paint being the most insanely expensive item.

I'd leave that bumper alone. Bumpers are going to get bumped on a daily driver unfortunately.

I'd leave it be for the time being, at least until the paint starts to flake off. It's a used car. We don't live in a perfect world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back