Damage to my car from local shop....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
The only way I can even imagine a shop damaging steel wheels and plastic hubcaps while doing a brake job is if they hit the curb while pulling it around the side of the building and into the bay.

Maybe they did.
Nothing would surprise me in the auto repair business.
Or could have been that the guy removed the wheels and THREW them onto a rough cement shop floor. Guess what..I have seen this done while working at $tealerships not just once but several times.

I had a dude at a shop destroy a wheel cover on my Caddy. All I could think of was he took it off to check the brakes...and then stepped on it!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Greg - I will say this in the nicest way I can. It's an 8 year old Honda with 125k miles on it. It's going to get scratched at some point no matter what you do.

The sooner you accept that fact, the less likely you are to give yourself a brain aneurysm.

I agree with another poster. The shop is going to buy you 4 cheap hubcaps and tell you to never set foot on their premises again. Do you really want to lose what sounds like a decent shop over some scratches in plastic wheel covers?

Yes, its an 8 year old Honda with 125K in good condition. I want to keep it that way, there is nothing wrong with that. Do you only take great care of your vehicles when they are new? I dont have the luxury of buying new, or even slightly used. So I do my best to keep it acting and looking as new as possible. I took it in this morning and showed them the damage, he agreed it looked like they set the wheel face down on the floor (its only 2 damaged rims btw). He said they would call me when he forwarded the pics on the the guy I originally spoke to. I did not mention the paint issue. Although I firmly believe it was their fault, I do know the paint is weak...not nearly as week as some of you are making it out to be...and I dont want to damage my relationship with this shop. They acted fine when I went in today and didn't tell me "never to come back" as many of you said they would, or said that you would if you were them. Hoping to get a call soon saying my new hub caps arrived and to come down to have them installed. There are a bunch of judgmental people in this thread. Although most of mankind is dishonest, I am not one of them. Have a good night!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
They acted fine when I went in today and didn't tell me "never to come back" as many of you said they would, or said that you would if you were them.

Well, you ended up not trying to nail them for the already defective bumper...

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Greg - I will say this in the nicest way I can. It's an 8 year old Honda with 125k miles on it. It's going to get scratched at some point no matter what you do.

The sooner you accept that fact, the less likely you are to give yourself a brain aneurysm.

I agree with another poster. The shop is going to buy you 4 cheap hubcaps and tell you to never set foot on their premises again. Do you really want to lose what sounds like a decent shop over some scratches in plastic wheel covers?

Yes, its an 8 year old Honda with 125K in good condition. I want to keep it that way, there is nothing wrong with that. Do you only take great care of your vehicles when they are new? I dont have the luxury of buying new, or even slightly used. So I do my best to keep it acting and looking as new as possible. I took it in this morning and showed them the damage, he agreed it looked like they set the wheel face down on the floor (its only 2 damaged rims btw). He said they would call me when he forwarded the pics on the the guy I originally spoke to. They acted fine when I went in today and didn't tell me "never to come back" as many of you said they would, or said that you would if you were them. Hoping to get a call soon saying my new hub caps arrived and to come down to have them installed.!

Good to hear that the shop was willing to rectify the most serious issue without an attitude. Please post with the conclusion!
Thanks gregk24!

I think the shop acted 100% appropriately in the end. It sounds like they are taking responsibility for the damage and are buying the customer new hub caps to make him happy. This is how it should be and when it was pointed out to the tech that he scratched a customers hub caps, I'm sure he felt bad and will be careful next time. Stuff happens, live and learn.

It is certainly not a reason to not use this shop again. As a matter of fact, it's a *great* reason to use them again.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
They acted fine when I went in today and didn't tell me "never to come back" as many of you said they would, or said that you would if you were them.

Well, you ended up not trying to nail them for the already defective bumper...

Didn't I just say that? Never planned on "nailing" them. Here are some pic's for the blood thirsty. Sorry they are not clear, bad cell phone pics. Believe it or not, they looks worse in person...
27.gif

20141013_1309421_zps0f3df0e4.jpg

20141013_1309561_zps2c3dd71e.jpg

Whether or not you think these scratches are "bad" its unacceptable to me to scratch a customers car in any way.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
I think the shop acted 100% appropriately in the end. It sounds like they are taking responsibility for the damage and are buying the customer new hub caps to make him happy. This is how it should be and when it was pointed out to the tech that he scratched a customers hub caps, I'm sure he felt bad and will be careful next time. Stuff happens, live and learn.

It is certainly not a reason to not use this shop again. As a matter of fact, it's a *great* reason to use them again.

Right, my family has used this shop for years. We know them pretty well. I don't want to intentionally damage our relationship.

Didn't I just say that? Never planned on "nailing" them.

You initially wanted them to pay for a bumper repaint that was already needed.

And I said I would fire you as a customer if you tried that game with me. Not for the hubcaps, which I said they would probably cover from the start, and they did.

I don't think you're malicious as much as you have an irrational view of who should pay for the repaint. I still can't believe you don't see how passing off the responsibility for the already needed repaint is unreasonable, especially when you gave them no heads up about the weak, defective paint.

But that's great they covered the problem they were actually responsible for.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So this whole thing is because of some cheap hubcaps on a 125000 mile car.

Seriously.

Yep, no need to blow up. Honestly though, age and mileage does not matter. If someone did the same thing to my old 1995 Accord with 225K I would have been equally upset.

Last edited:
Well after you get the new hub caps, the next time you take your car in for work there just take them off beforehand and drive on in with the black steelies.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well after you get the new hub caps, the next time you take your car in for work there just take them off beforehand and drive on in with the black steelies.

Lol, they would get a kick out of that.

After seeing your pictures of your hubcaps, I can't imagine as the owner/operator of the shop that I would ever let you in again. A absolute nightmare of a customer, and when you first talked about getting a brake job based on your previous posts I knew it would be a nightmare.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
After seeing your pictures of your hubcaps, I can't imagine as the owner/operator of the shop that I would ever let you in again. A absolute nightmare of a customer, and when you first talked about getting a brake job based on your previous posts I knew it would be a nightmare.

I love it when repair shop owners or those with connections post comments like this because it confirms everything we know about the attitude of the auto repair industry in general. Proves that
overall most shops could give a poop about their customers property.

You know R2d2 that car may just be a meal ticket to you but it could very well be someones life line even though it has many years of service in it. It may be the only way that customer can get to his job, or around in general, and likely they can only afford to maintain what they have, not buy new. So they take pride in ownership, its clear that greg certainly does. But honestly what does that mechanic care. Honestly why should that tech take a few more seconds to take care with that vehicle for the customer that puts food on HIS table?

If you own a shop I hope you go out of business soon.

These are OEM caps and those are outrageously expensive even on used market (or on ebay).

HOWEVER, the scratches are barely there and if you really want, Meguiars UP or UC will make them almost invisible.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
These are OEM caps and those are outrageously expensive even on used market (or on ebay).

HOWEVER, the scratches are barely there and if you really want, Meguiars UP or UC will make them almost invisible.

That's what I was thinking...so minor that maybe just ScratchX 2.0

Last edited:
Every time we see a post about a dealer or shop, so many are quick to call the dealer/shop/owner dishonest, a crook, or a thief. One has to wonder how many times it's the customer being dishonest, a crook or a thief.

As posted by you on the other thread you started asking for a price to repaint the bumpers

The rear bumper had a couple small cracks when I purchased it, three or so more have appeared in one way or another recently. Anyway what would you say would be a decent price to repaint one, or both bumpers by a decent auto paint and body shop here in FL?

As posted by you in your Mechanical shop damaged your car

I understand the bumper paint is more brittle than usual. It was repainted under the PO ownership. I will show it to them, I don't expect they will do anything, but the fact is, it wasn't messed up before the shop, now it is

So what is the REAL story? Did the bumper already have a couple small cracks and three or more recently appeared?

I would ban you if I was the owner of the shop, especially after what you yourself posted regarding previous damage, and then saying there was none when you took it to the repair shop.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

X10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back