Crazed LEO in Dashcam in Boston Suburb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
With all the threats spewing from the off-duty detective nutjob, the detective could have been shot justifiably. Threats and gun toting mean you can kill him. The dashcam video would then exonerate you, because it would have shown the threats just before you shot him.

Words alone don't justify touching much less shooting anyone. Your local community college probably has a basic law class you can take.

You could use it.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
GiveMeAVowel said:
the correct thing to do on the motorists part was to remain calm and allow the det to vent his frustration,

Quote:

In a free country citizens have NO responsibility to bend over and take it just because some cop is having a bad day and wants to vent.

Kneel and suck the benificent overlord lest he add holes to your head is not an obligation.

But the fact is that the laws give that det power and authority to enforce laws, and while he was obviously wrong, unless you are prepared to gun the det down it is better to suck it up and take it to court, I have a feeling that this det will be prosecuted for his actions and it will land him in jail, it should.

Honestly if I was in that position the first thing I would have done is to immediately drive away from that location and call 911 report what happened and let law enforcement take it from there.

Of course if I did think the guy was gun in hand going to shoot me I would also have shot him as well, IF I had a gun handy and would NOT have injured any innocent bystanders. But again the driver had the upper hand by being in his car an already able to move quickly. I would simply have driven to a safe place and called 911, the best thing is the video evidence the case against the det is a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Words alone don't justify touching much less shooting anyone. Your local community college probably has a basic law class you can take.

"Words alone"... and that gun the detective had. Small tiny detail you missed there Slick.... The citizen didn't even know he was a cop. No uniform, just a guy spewing death threats with a gun and wife-beater t-shirt and tattoos.

"Words alone"... and that gun the detective had. Small tiny detail you missed there Slick.... The citizen didn't even know he was a cop. No uniform, just a guy spewing death threats with a gun and wife-beater t-shirt and tattoos.

It was a badge he was holding.

That is correct, however considering that the det was appearing like a typical thug on the street, the motorist could have mistaken it for anything including a weapon. I think if I was a juror that would be my take on this scenario.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

That is correct, however considering that the det was appearing like a typical thug on the street, the motorist could have mistaken it for anything including a weapon. I think if I was a juror that would be my take on this scenario.

Night time, a shiny object, no uniform, death threats... Yes common sense says it could be anything. Not wise to threaten people at night like that, some are armed.

Night time, a shiny object, no uniform, death threats... Yes common sense says it could be anything. Not wise to threaten people at night like that, some are armed.

But you can be sure that a civilian shooting a cop will be judged by his peers to have not shown sufficient judgment, while a cop shooting a civilian will be able to play the "feared for my life" card.

Joe Public blindly respects the professionalism of any label. Police, doctors, baristas etc etc.

I say the citizen can shoot the off-duty detective as soon as he senses an armed threat, despite what turtlevette's world-class Community College training tells him.

Originally Posted By: Benito

Joe Public blindly respects the professionalism of any label. Police, doctors, baristas etc etc.

You'd be surprised that this isn't as common as you might think, there are cases like this and the ordinary citizens sitting as jurors understood the situation and potential threat and confusion and will side with the shooter, in some of those cases.

Last edited:
If the motorist ran that nut down, or shot him that camera would have disappeared and he would have gotten the death penalty for killing an innocent hero in cold blood for no reason.

This reminds me of some good advice my best friend from childhood, until he passed away in his sleep at 35, told me.

His advice: Cops are not your friend. It is in your best interest to not engage them on any level, if at all possible.

He became a Cop in his early 20's, because he wanted to help people. After a few years on the Force, he realized that not everyone who became a Cop, did so for noble reasons.

Some become Cops because they are bullies, and they want to be able to continue their bullying, but with a Badge to hide behind.

This unstable idiot in the wife beater threatening to blow a hole in the Driver's head, is a perfect example of a Cop who shouldn't be one.

If some lunatic in a wife beater jumped out of a truck, and started making threats against my life, I just might pull out my gun and start firing at the apparently unstable, homicidal idiot who has threatened my life. Or being in a vehicle, I just might run down someone that makes a legitimate deadly threat to my life.

I know there are some decent Officers out there, because my best friend was one. But I think they are outnumbered by the unstable lunatics with a badge.

Had this happened to me, I would have just tried to stay calm, (that would be hard to do), say as little as possible to this out of control jerk and keep recording. After this is over, I would take this "cop" to court, and do everything I could to put him behind bars or a least see that he was fired.
I have been to Mass. many times, and thankfully, I will never have to return.

Quote:
I have a feeling that this det will be prosecuted for his actions and it will land him in jail, it should.
Your feeling meter calibration is way off. Or likely broken.

Originally Posted By: hatt

Actually, it isn't. The media loves to make it appear as if the system never works, but many times it does. This time I believe it will too.

Not a chance he'll be prosecuted or sent to jail. They get away with this time after time, which is why it keeps going on. I am watching the news right now hearing about another story of a cop killing someone in Cincinnati. This one is being charged, but the chances of him being convicted? 0%

Originally Posted By: hatt

Actually, it isn't. The media loves to make it appear as if the system never works, but many times it does. This time I believe it will too.
Post some cases showing such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back