Store clerk charged after taking thief's baseball bat and beating thief

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada:

A convenience store clerk in Peterborough has been charged with assault after he allegedly took a baseball bat from a would-be robber and hit the suspect several times with it.

According to the Peterborough Police Service, officers were dispatched to a convenience store in the King and Bethune streets area around 2:30 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 5. Upon arrival, police say officers learned that the male clerk was helping a customer when a second man came into the store demanding money and brandishing a baseball bat.

Police say a struggle ensued and the clerk was allegedly struck with the bat before taking it away from the suspect. Police say the clerk followed the suspect out of the store and allegedly struck him several times with the bat on the sidewalk.

The suspect suffered head injuries and is in a Toronto hospital receiving treatment while the 22-year-old clerk was treated at the scene by EMS, police say.

As a result of the investigation, an arrest warrant was issued for the 37-year-old man, who is wanted for robbery, assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon.
The 22-year-old clerk from Peterborough was also arrested and charged with aggravated assault. He was held in custody and appeared in court Saturday, Jan. 6.
Peterborough Police would also like to speak with a male customer who was in the store at the time.

This is insane 😳

Chasing the thief and then hitting them a few times may have been over the line here.... Not saying I agree with charging the only true victim at all, I don't, but the authority's line is probably drawn where the misguided/exuberant/just turning things around/choirboy of an incompetent thief turned to escape.

Last edited:
Chasing the thief and then hitting them a few times may have been over the line here.... Not saying I agree with charging the only true victim at all, I don't, but the authority's line is probably drawn where the misguided/exuberant/just turning things around/choirboy of an incompetent thief turned to escape.
If the clerk had his own bat, that may have tipped the scales of the law in his favor. Being that the clerk took the bat away from the thief paints a picture of a weak thief and the jury might feel sorry for him.

A "certain" "thought process" of people "who have control" think the criminal should have more rights then the person they accost. Yet people seem to always have "them" around deciding and keeping these laws twisted so the aggressor is the righteous one. With this backing of freedom for accosting, you just keep getting more of it. Insanity at it's finest. Yet people seem to like these insane freedom givers to accoster's. And somehow fell good about it. Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back