Couldn't Deposit $1000 for Tesla Model 3 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The prototype looks nice. I bet they'd sell even more if they were gas powered, or offered a gas powered option.
27.gif
j/k
Well, anyday Huyndai/Kia will be releasing their gas powered version which will look just like this car. It is time for them to start mimicking Tesla rather than Mercedes. :)

I was half kidding. lol

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The prototype looks nice. I bet they'd sell even more if they were gas powered, or offered a gas powered option.
27.gif
j/k

Wasnt this one supposed to have a gas range extender?

One need not a huge engine. A decent 2-cyl generator would work wonders when youre spending like 200Wh/mile from the battery.

I dont like the prototype look as much as the orginal honestly. It looks like they compressed it to meet a price point to make wannabes happy.

I actually thing the next-gen volt looks better personally.

Tesla vehicles didn't have ICE and they don't have any plan to use ICE in their vehicles in future, they are strictly BEV.

The styling is subjective, some like it and some don't. But at least it doesn't look as ugly as BMW I3.

Comparing Tesla Model 3 with BMW I3 and Chevy Bolt.

Model 3 costs $35k with 215 miles range and able to use supercharger to add 150 miles in 30 minutes for free.

BMW I3 costs $42k with 80-100 miles battery range, 150 miles with range extender, 30 minutes to charge up to 80% at a fast-charger station. styling is the worst of any vehicle.

Chevy Bolt costs $37.5k with 200 miles range, one hour to charge up to 80% at a fast-charger station. Styling is a little better than BMW I3.

Which one do you think is better ? If you plan to buy a new EV in 2-3 years which one do you choose ? As of today more people choose Model 3.

Chevy Bolt
_89030248_9cfe7217-6199-47e7-8232-29ab9f0f285d.jpg

BMW I3
1200017999.jpg

1200018001.jpg

So, did you finally get to throw your $1K at Tesla or not? I am still waiting for my email confirmation but credit card has been already charged. The latest news is that they have 186,000 reservations. What a haul in 36 hours! If Elon decides to skip the town, he has $186M of our money to spend on a remote paradise island :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Well I never thought the US market was so backward! Who pays a deposit to go on a waiting list, when all you're waiting for is the chance to make another deposit?! And when you consider that petrol cars make more power and have more range the argument wins itself.
TeslaFail
smirk.gif

People around the world are so backward, waiting inline for hours to have a chance to plunk down $1,000 US dollar deposit and wait 2-3 years for an unseen vehicle.

Why German waited inline for hours for a lousy EV made in America and wait another 2-3 years for the car, while they can just walk in BMW dealer to buy made in Germany I3 ?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
So, did you finally get to throw your $1K at Tesla or not? I am still waiting for my email confirmation but credit card has been already charged. The latest news is that they have 186,000 reservations. What a haul in 36 hours! If Elon decides to skip the town, he has $186M of our money to spend on a remote paradise island :)

I did last night at 9:30PM PDT, after we went out for wife birthday dinner. Car can wait, wife's birthday dinner is more importance.

Musk and his team were very clever in this scheme. They have free money to use for more than a year, also they took the sail out of Chevy Bolt and other EV's.

Not many people want to buy an EV and Chevy is already lost 186,000 potential customers to Tesla in less than 2 days.

I bet Chevrolet and GM executives are cussing like mad now, also executives of other automakers probably do the same. In their mind they just don't know how to counter the phenomenal that Tesla just show the world.

Last edited:
The exterior pictures of the Model 3 look pretty sharp, look better to me than the Bolt (though I think the Bolt looks ok). But the interior is ugly. The massive 15" screen is hideous and the rest of the interior looks plain jane.

There is some other details that are not clear concerning the pricing and the waiting list. Some articles hint that the base model will probably be low on the priority list for production. That the waiting list is not really a waiting list and that current Tesla customers get priority as well that Tesla will be producing loaded Model 3's first, which likely have higher profit for them.

According to CNN Musk tweeted that the average price of the reserved cars was $42k.

It looks like they stuck a sideways mounted TV into the dash. The Model S is the same.

tesla-model_s_interior-3-970x546-c.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The exterior pictures of the Model 3 look pretty sharp, look better to me than the Bolt (though I think the Bolt looks ok). But the interior is ugly. The massive 15" screen is hideous and the rest of the interior looks plain jane.

There is some other details that are not clear concerning the pricing and the waiting list. Some articles hint that the base model will probably be low on the priority list for production. That the waiting list is not really a waiting list and that current Tesla customers get priority as well that Tesla will be producing loaded Model 3's first, which likely have higher profit for them.

According to CNN Musk tweeted that the average price of the reserved cars was $42k.

This is a prototype, some details(interior and exterior) may be changed when it goes into production.

Problem with direct sale is Tesla can choose to do whatever they want, which version/option they produce first, who will get the car first ... are totally controlled by them. If someone posts any negative opinion about Tesla, he/she may never be able to buy a car from them directly.

How can they know that when a person does not specify any options during the reservation process?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

How can they know that when a person does not specify any options during the reservation process?

I was wondering the same thing....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Problem with direct sale is Tesla can choose to do whatever they want, which version/option they produce first, who will get the car first ... are totally controlled by them. If someone posts any negative opinion about Tesla, he/she may never be able to buy a car from them directly.

Doesn't sound like a company I would want to buy a product from.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This is the tweet:
elon-musk-180k-reservation-tweet.jpg

Elon Musk just did an estimate of what he thinks the average buyer will buy certain options.

When I placed deposit there was only personal info and credit card payment, nothing about what are options for the car only it claims 215 miles range and $starting at $35,000.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

They cancelled a model X order from a person who bad mouth them on internet. I think Musk himself cancelled that person order.

Virtually what Musk tried to convey his message to everyone was, if you don't like me or my product then I don't want to have you as my customer.

Quote:
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post

Unimaginable wealth has brought Elon Musk a lot of benefits. But perhaps the best perk of being Elon Musk is the ability to be unbelievably petty.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

Last edited:
You may not have to worry too much about buying this car from Tesla.
People are basically putting down deposits for a car of unknown performance as actually built offered at an unknown actual price.
A volume model will bring new legal challenges to the direct selling model and EM is no match economically or politically for ten thousand dealer principles who'd all like a shot at a piece of this action.
Also, the build to order inventory model doesn't work well with a moderately price volume production car and the carrying costs of inventory are one of the primary reasons that the dealer system was developed to begin with.
I think that this car, if actually produced in the volumes forecast, will bring significant changes in Tesla's business model or will bring an end to the Tesla marque.
Too bad, since the Model S seems like a pretty reasonable alternative to a big Benz or BMW for those who don't need the range offered by any IC car.
WRT the Model S being the best car ever built talk, hogwash.
Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Infinity are all fully capable of building something at least as good and they do.
The difference is that their cars can be driven another four or five hundred miles with a ten minute fuel stop and that isn't the case with any Tesla.
I'd not want to be in West Texas or Montana or South Dakota in a Tesla, and I have driven through all three.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You may not have to worry too much about buying this car from Tesla.
People are basically putting down deposits for a car of unknown performance as actually built offered at an unknown actual price.
A volume model will bring new legal challenges to the direct selling model and EM is no match economically or politically for ten thousand dealer principles who'd all like a shot at a piece of this action.
Also, the build to order inventory model doesn't work well with a moderately price volume production car and the carrying costs of inventory are one of the primary reasons that the dealer system was developed to begin with.

Not really build to order, they just produce a number of Model 3 with various options then inform whoever on the list to come to pick it up.

Without dealer markup and no advertising Tesla may save few thousands a car, this saving either improve their bottom line or passed the saving to buyer.

I think that this car, if actually produced in the volumes forecast, will bring significant changes in Tesla's business model or will bring an end to the Tesla marque.
Too bad, since the Model S seems like a pretty reasonable alternative to a big Benz or BMW for those who don't need the range offered by any IC car.
WRT the Model S being the best car ever built talk, hogwash.
Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Infinity are all fully capable of building something at least as good and they do.

Consumer Report rated it more than perfect score of 100. They had to modify the rating system because of Model S. MB, BMW, Audi, Porsche ... never get close to 100.

How about satisfaction ? Tesla Model S and X are more satisfy with their purchases than owners of any brand.

The difference is that their cars can be driven another four or five hundred miles with a ten minute fuel stop and that isn't the case with any Tesla.
I'd not want to be in West Texas or Montana or South Dakota in a Tesla, and I have driven through all three.

No doubt about the convenience of ICE vehicle, you can travel all over the world with very little time needed to refuel.

If Federal, State and local governments didn't have any mandate about zero emission vehicle, Tesla would not exit and no car company in the world would spend a dime developing EV or fuel cell vehicle.

Blame the existence of Tesla on Government of all levels.

If I end up purchasing Tesla and if you guys find me going to "the other side", please slap some sense in to me then! I hope I don't turn in to one of the fanboys!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

They cancelled a model X order from a person who bad mouth them on internet. I think Musk himself cancelled that person order.

Virtually what Musk tried to convey his message to everyone was, if you don't like me or my product then I don't want to have you as my customer.

Quote:
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post

Unimaginable wealth has brought Elon Musk a lot of benefits. But perhaps the best perk of being Elon Musk is the ability to be unbelievably petty.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/03/elon-musk-blogger-tesla-motors-model-x

That's immature business practice. He won't be in business long if he keeps that up. Apparently being a rich techie gives him a pass.

Question for those Tesla haters, is there an EV that costs $35,000 or less with these features:

. Not as ugly as BMW I3.
. 215 miles or more per charge and free use of Superchargers that can charge the battery to 80% in 30 minutes or less, so that you can travel from New York to California using Superchargers along the way.
. Accelerate from zero to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds.
. Made in America by American.
. Don't have to deal with Stealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back