Listen, all to my tale of woe, changing ATF

91 F150, 130k miles, got it a couple months ago, still setting baselines.

Rockauto had a tranny filter kit for this truck and it E40D for $3 on clearance. I got it with some other stuff to save on shipping and said, well, we'll do this on a nice day. Also had ~10 quarts of leftover generic ATF.

I got something called "use or lose" at work that forced a vacation day so I said, perfect, with my 4 1/2 hours of daylight I'll get some stuff done around the house and the truck is on my list.

The old pan wasn't leaking and the truck shifted fine. It had every appearance of being well maintained. So I took all the bolts out of the pan and found the cork gasket tightly adhered to both surfaces. Stuffed a screwdriver in to pry it down, got it down, oil was nice and red... good sign. Since I wrecked the gasket by stuffing the screwdriver in, I peeled it off in 92 convenient chunks and cleaned the surfaces. No matter, I got a cheezy rubber gasket with the new filter.

The old filter came out but left its o-ring in the trans, so I figured I'd cut the o-ring off the new one and stuff it on in. Cut a line almost through the o-ring, removed it, then realized the existing one in the trans wouldn't play nice with the new filter. So I hacked the old one out. It had disintegrated almost into orange RTV. Not too happy since this is the "clean" side of the filter, but at least gravity was on my side. Carefully put the new (cut) o-ring on and sent it home. The cut sealed itself with the bore of the tranny. Phew.

Put it all together, threw 6 quarts of generic ATF in, drove to the dump, it drove great. Parked it and ate dinner. Walking the dog later I found a dinner plate sized pool of fluid on the ground. Well, nuts.

So this morning I went to the ford dealer at 0905, walked in the parts/ service door, not a soul to be seen. I could have robbed the place. Easily could have taken the fatso salesman. But instead I went to NAPA and got the premium filter kit with a metal-lined gasket with ribs for the princely sum of $47. Also hit Walmart for some more ATF since everyone else wanted $11 a quart. I had to haggle with the store b/c the online price was cheaper but came out on top. Came home, dropped the pan, changed out my filter, but this time the o-ring came out and was replaced with yet another new part, so I had that going for me. Couldn't figure out how the premium gasket was supposed to seal, but NAPA knew how, right?

IMG_20231223_180315591.jpg

Well, no.

The new gasket had an AWFUL fit, leaking from the back as the truck was up on ramps. I started kicking a few rocks then did research on replacement E40D pans. I'm theorizing that maybe someone overtorqued mine and the bolt holes are all divoted. (Though they look stamped that way as they're very uniform!) Moroso wanted $380 for an aluminum one. Waaaah!

Plus I'm trying to fix this with locally available parts on a Saturday before a holiday, and mail order/ amazon is way backlogged. Eventually I discover that the 4R100 pan has the same bolt pattern, and will work if someone gets the "long" filter for a 4x4 truck. Even better, it's got a drain plug, Advance has it in stock (Dorman 265-805), and there's a coupon! Sold! The filter came from a 2nd Advance on the way home.

Slap all this together with the NAPA gasket and long filter and I run out of fluid. But the stuff from my drain pan looked perfect. Absolutely perfect. So I did the BITOG sin and went "Mobil 2". Just a couple quarts! And now, reading BITOG, I discover Tractor Supply has ATF for 99 cents! FML! Had dinner, walked the dog, no leaks. Knocking on a forest full of wood.

Thank you for the story. This happens often where good intentions snowball into one into another unintended consequence. I think you were on point with a banged up pan that only enjoyed the cork gasket as its mate. Now you have a drain plug and can rest easy and even skip the filter next time.

Any photos to share? I briefly had an 88 with the 5.0 and dual tanks. The rear tank alarmingly leaked fuel ALOT so I stopped using it all together, but had a great time being a scrapper every week poaching whatever people left at the end of their driveways. That truck was smooth though! I miss it.

Well, I think there's not too much "woe" in your tale! I guess it could've gone better, but also a lot worse! Thanks for sharing your story.

Last edited:
If it was me, it'd be next week, and I'd still be trying to figure it out. Good job. Goes to show why I don't like doing these jobs in a rush--all it takes is one thing to go sideways and you're in a worse situation than before. Best to pick a time when that 15 minute job is allowed to take a week.

This is one reason I am only like full scale overhaul type work person, never like doing maintenance, its like fixing something that isn't broke, and then the fix you did broke it and causes tons of trouble and headaches to fix. Sorry you had to deal with that, I'm not a fan of sealer on automatic transmission gaskets but sometimes??

Any photos to share? I briefly had an 88 with the 5.0 and dual tanks. The rear tank alarmingly leaked fuel ALOT so I stopped using it all together.

Yeah I took my rear tank out too because of rust. The selector valve is imperfect so when I cut it out it started dripping fuel from the abandoned lines. Had to convert the nylon to a steel brake line so I could plug it with a flare plug, took several fittings to make happen.

What gets me is those raised lines between the bolt holes. There are gaps between them and the actual bolt holes, which is asking a lot from RTV. It's asking a lot from a regular gasket, too, maybe they're there to keep the gasket from squishing out, or to stiffen the in-between sections. The Dorman pan doesn't have 'em. I didn't go gorilla on torque.

Dang this sounds harder than last time I changed my ATF. I replaced the transfer case too

I tried RTV once, and once was enough. A cheap rubber gasket worked well. Cork I'm guessing less well. But I don't change many, and that car liked to eat gaskets.

Those raised lines between bolt holes, just a swag, I wonder if they actually stiffen and make the pan less likely to distort? Instead of a flat surface that is easy to distort, by putting in some ripples now you have that much more that you have to work at, to make it bent. Might still leak, but much less. Just a hunch.

Since the pan is replaced, and now you have all the time in the world to second guess yourself, can you get out a straight edge and just run it over the pan? Maybe it was far more warped than you thought, maybe prying on it did it in, and there was no way to know.

^ That gasket looks like the premium NAPA product I wound up using.

The old pan wasn't leaking and the truck shifted fine. It had every appearance of being well maintained. So I took all the bolts out of the pan and found the cork gasket tightly adhered to both surfaces. Stuffed a screwdriver in to pry it down, got it down, oil was nice and red... good sign. Since I wrecked the gasket by stuffing the screwdriver in, I peeled it off in 92 convenient chunks and cleaned the surfaces. No matter, I got a cheezy rubber gasket with the new filter.

View attachment 194560

Well, no.

Are you sure that pan is really meant for a gasket?

The A442 in my brother’s FJZ80 Land Cruiser has that type of stamping and raised area between the bolt holes, but is designed to use FIPK form a gasket. Not a place-on gasket.

IMG_5051.jpeg

In contrast to the Mercedes pan which is designed for a heavy gasket and has a rolled lip:

IMG_6084.jpeg

I know domestic pans have a more substantial flanged surface, as do the oil pans for my diesels, but I think they are all flat mating surfaces. That little ridge makes me think it’s intended to use some sort of form and cure in place chemical gasket…

Are you sure that pan is really meant for a gasket?

The A442 in my brother’s FJZ80 Land Cruiser has that type of stamping and raised area between the bolt holes, but is designed to use FIPK form a gasket. Not a place-on gasket.

View attachment 194595

In contrast to the Mercedes pan which is designed for a heavy gasket and has a rolled lip:

View attachment 194596

I know domestic pans have a more substantial flanged surface, as do the oil pans for my diesels, but I think they are all flat mating surfaces. That little ridge makes me think it’s intended to use some sort of form and cure in place chemical gasket…
Yeah the E4OD is intended to have a gasket.

I feel your pain OP. I had a very similar experience on an '01 Ranger. I think it had the 5R55-whatever......IIRC that's the 4 speed they automagically (see what I did there?) turned into a 5 speed with a programming change.

ANYWAY, later years came with a metal core gasket. I figured I was gonna be clever and order the OEM gasket for the later years. Well, they also changed something with the pan and the new metal gasket will NOT seal to the old pan.

I torqued the bolts to spec and it was literally pouring out MercV on my shop floor as I was filling it. Between the $35 or $40 gasket (incl shipping) and ~$40 of ATF that was an expensive stupid mistake.

I did at least build a cookie cutter wanna-be prerunner bumper for the truck while I had it, and that was kinda fun
IMG_20200516_173907200.jpg

I would have waited at Ford until someone showed up. Someone opened up the building.

If the Ford OEM gasket cork or rubber?

FelPro?

I think the raised lines in the the pan would not seal well with a NAPA metal lined gasket.

Back