Cleaned and oiled the chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boraticus
I did the WD-40 chain maintenance this morning on the KLR650 and went for a nice ride out in the sticks.

Did the same yesterday on my '74 RD350. All is well but didn't ride in the sticks. I just poked around some paved back roads.

That great man! I so proud of you.

Boreaticus,talk to anyone who knows anything aboot motorcycles, and in my opinion, the overwhelming concensus will be that WD/40 is just about the worst thing you can use to clean or lubricate your chain. I've been riding since the late 60's, and have alway's had chain driven bikes. I used to use gas back in the 70's, but have used Kerosene for years, especially with the o-ring chains, etc. That is what most mfgrs. recommend. Use WD/40 if you want, but you aren't going to convince me, or many others that it is a good thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redline955
Boreaticus,talk to anyone who knows anything aboot motorcycles, and in my opinion, the overwhelming concensus will be that WD/40 is just about the worst thing you can use to clean or lubricate your chain. I've been riding since the late 60's, and have alway's had chain driven bikes. I used to use gas back in the 70's, but have used Kerosene for years, especially with the o-ring chains, etc. That is what most mfgrs. recommend. Use WD/40 if you want, but you aren't going to convince me, or many others that it is a good thing.

Yeah.... I'm new to the game.

I've only been riding for thirty years. Still own the first bike I bought new in 1980. I've replaced the chain and sprockets once. Don't know how many miles are on it. The speedo broke at around 30K. Second chain in thirty years. Yeah, that WD-40 sure is hard on chains....

There are many people who do what I'm doing. I didn't invent it. Some very knowledgeable and well seasoned bikers taught me the WD-40 trick many years ago. I was just receptive enough to give it a shot and haven't looked back.

It's each individual's choice to use what they want. I've got a three or four cans of various chain specific lubes gathering dust. WD-40 cleans and lubes the chain sufficiently to provide long service life so why bother with anything else. WD-40 does it all plus a million other things.

Chain adjustment is more important than what lube you use, by far. A tight chain will give up the ghost in short order. Don't sweat the details with what lube you use. Proper chain tension is where it's at.

MMO works and has been used on chains (clean & lube) for years too - I know, i've done it - but I don't want to get that argument started.
27.gif

All bike manufacturers offer spary on lube for chain. It is a bit more expensive but they have heavier oil than WD-40 and sticks pretty good and cleanns as well. I have no idea what are the benefits of WD-40 and seriously do not understand its popularity. It is mostly Kerosene mixed with little oil that is too thin imo. I have a can of Honda spary that has lasted well over 10k miles so feel the price should not be a factor.

"I have no idea what are the benefits of WD-40 and seriously do not understand its popularity."

It's popular because it works.

I carry it because it does a multitude of tasks.

Try getting moisture out of an electrical switch on bike with chain lube or lubricating a stick throttle/clutch cable with it.

Experience riders who do most of their own work have learned over the years what's important to carry on a bike or ATV. WD-40 is one of the "must have" essentials.

"I have no idea what are the benefits of WD-40 and seriously do not understand its popularity."

It's popular because it works.

Oh that is one convincing answer. Life is so black & white.

"Life is so black & white."

That is if you can see it........

No I am not color blind.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
You shouldn't really need to lube an o-ring chain right? Just keep it clean so the o-rings do their job. There is lub inside the chain.

(shaking my head)....So with no lube on the outside of the chain (on the rollers) whats assisting the sprockets from premature wear ? metal on meatl.. no lube.. bad idea.

Ok, i read that fast and ansered the same way. here's just a tick more detail. a O-ring chain does have lube inside the seals (sealing lube inside the rollers.. key word is "inside" your chain rolls over two sprockets, with no added lubrication not only will your chain see added wear on the (outside), your sprockets will also wear prematurely, and alot of us use aftermarket sprockets (not made of steal) & they can and will wear even faster if a lubrication is not used. can you get away with only "cleaning" a sealed chain.. sure you can, just dont expect it to last nearly as long.. best example is the chain your refering to.. does it come with a lubrication already applied on the outside ? YES..

Simply put and hopefully simply understood.

If I can add a little to clarify that.

And what keeps the grease or lubrication inside the chain? The o-rings.

And what keeps the lubrication on the outside of the chain? Fresh application of lubricant as the old lubricant is flung off, dries out etc.

Originally Posted By: Kwaka10R

And what keeps the lubrication on the outside of the chain? Fresh application of lubricant as the old lubricant is flung off, dries out etc.

Great first post, Kwaka!

I believe ive posted this before on BITOG, and ive posted on many other forums, but as its such a great method i will re-post.

Bikes with chains.

every 300-500 miles (you can go longer, but cleaning takes longer)

#1 prop up rear wheel, PUT TOWEL, or cardboard under chain.
#2 with a soft plastic bristle brush, soak/scrub chain w/kerosene,
#3 rinse with water.
#4 take bike off stand and go for a 10 min ride (warming chain)
#5 return, re-prop bike and lube chain with your choice of lubricant.
#6 whipe chain down.
#7 let sit and dry overnight.
#8 next day after ride, wipe any excess or (fly off) off bike

*note* many track-day riders/racers will not lube a chain, Kerosene has natural lubricants in its formulation. for those cleaning with Kerosene every 300-500 miles adding lubrication is optional, ALSO, looking at the chemical composition of W-D-40 and Kerosene.. they are very similiar.. this is why many have found simply cleaning and lubing with W-D is satisfactory.. There are myths of W-D cracking and destroying o-ring chains. Ive personaly never seen this happen. 2 pennies.

I should note, i have not researched the above wd-40 / Kersosene information myself, im quoting a Graves Yamaha AMA Racing tech Id lean toward believing him. The cleaning instructions are a compulation ive read applied and added to over my years racing and rideing. Its been working very well for me for many, many years.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: Kwaka10R

Great first post, Kwaka!

Thanks man! All the best to you 2.

There was an amateur study of WD-40 exposed rubber chain "O" rings on the GS500 site, but my search there just not failed ot turn-up a link. I recall that study showed that even prolonged exposure did not swell or deteriorate the ruber rings. Neither did K1, but some other solvents did. In my search attempts today, I did turn-up this posting of interest;

http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=13850.0

which leads one to avoid WD-D if one believes the sources.

prs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back