What kind of lube to use on hedge trimmer blades?

I went to go use my Stihl FS85R with the hedge trimmer attachment today and the blades were so gummed up and corroded where they slide against each other that it wouldn't cut. I took it apart tonight and cleaned the blades on the wire wheel and am wondering what is the "correct" lubricant to use? I've always just dripped some bar and chain oil on the blades or used whatever type of spray lube I had around. It's always been "fiddly" where I have to adjust the tensioning nuts a lot and oil it more often than I feel like I should need to.

When I take the blades off to sharpen mine (a couple cheapie corded models), I put grease in where they ride on the studs, but as far as the blades themselves, I just use vegetable oil because I use plenty of oil and want something bio-compatible left all over the bushes. I don't notice trimmings sticking too badly, but I suppose that depends on what you're cutting. The majority are ejected out by the blade motion. I do take them back apart to clean and touch up the blades every 2-3 years.

You know Germans make good stuff.

IMG_5661.jpeg

PAM cooking spray. Won’t harm the plants.
Actually, harming the plants is kind of the point. I use the hedge trimmer mostly to cut young himalayan black berries. Thanks for the tip, BTW. I was looking on an arborist site and saw mention of canola oil. I happen to have some expired canola oil, so I think I'll give that a shot.

Last edited:
Fluid film actually lists it on the can.
you could likely use other similar products such as Krown.

I hose off with WD-40 after piney or other sticky work..
then lube it up with a few squirts of FF.

I have an old oil dispensing can that I just put in whatever motor oil I want to get rid of because it's getting too old and use that to oil up the blades before beginning cutting of the hedges, and if it takes more than 15 minutes of work oil it again every 15 minutes, and then oil it again and run it a few seconds for the oil to get circulated and then try to get it to stop so that the blades are aligned on top of each other so that they would be stronger if they got bumped before you put it away.

Oil of any sort will work fine.

My dad sharpens clipper blades sometimes. He uses 3 in 1 oil just because that's what he puts on scissors and stuff

Actually, harming the plants is kind of the point. I use the hedge trimmer mostly to cut young himalayan black berries. Thanks for the tip, BTW. I was looking on an arborist site and saw mention of canola oil. I happen to have some expired canola oil, so I think I'll give that a shot.
Maybe I didn’t communicate well when saying “won’t harm the plants”. The fresh cut raw edge on each limb/branch/stem can be degraded by oils and the plant and-or shrub can’t recover with new growth properly. If you don’t mind, I certainly don’t.

Thanks, folks. I spent an hour yesterday cutting black berry vines with the trimmer attachment using old canola oil as lube. It worked as well or better than anything else I've used on it.

I think the thing that helped the most was taking it apart again and block sanding the blades where they rub together with 200 and 400 grit wet and dry sand paper. The sliding surfaces were pretty rough and tarnished.

Back