Oil additive to clean out sludge and deposits

Hello,
I have a '74 BMW R60/6 that's rather low mileage but sat for 20 years. After receiving it, I changed the oil and ran it some. I then sent the oil in for analysis at the next change and dropped the oil pan after I found sludge in a valve cover. I found more sludge in the other valve cover after another oil change. (It's a boxer engine so 2 opposing valve covers) After research I have found a few different options.
1. Use an engine flush
2. Use diesel oil (Ie Shell Rotella T6)
3. Add Rislone or Seafoam to oil before oil change
4. Use Valvoline Premium blue restore

I'm leaning towards option 2 and 3. I would basically switch to Shell Rotella T6 at the next oil change. Run it for 100 to 200 miles or so. Then add seafoam, run it for a few miles, then change it. I attached my last oil analysis. Older test is from the original oil sitting inside the engine from when I got it.
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 3.21.11 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HPL's Engine Cleaner is quite safe to give a try. Prior to that, two or three short OCIs (1,000 to 2,000 miles) with a high-mileage oil could be beneficial, as well. Have you replaced the PCV valve recently (cheap part to swap out), as it could be clogged?

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a '74 BMW R60/6 that's rather low mileage but sat for 20 years. After receiving it, I changed the oil and ran it some. I then sent the oil in for analysis at the next change and dropped the oil pan after I found sludge in a valve cover. I found more sludge in the other valve cover after another oil change. (It's a boxer engine so 2 opposing valve covers) After research I have found a few different options.
1. Use an engine flush
2. Use diesel oil (Ie Shell Rotella T6)
3. Add Rislone or Seafoam to oil before oil change
4. Use Valvoline Premium blue restore

I'm leaning towards option 2 and 3. I would basically switch to Shell Rotella T6 at the next oil change. Run it for 100 to 200 miles or so. Then add seafoam, run it for a few miles, then change it. I attached my last oil analysis. Older test is from the original oil sitting inside the engine from when I got it.
Thats the bike I had new in 1974...sold it in 1981... wish I still had it....

My grandfather bought it new in 1974. He passed in 2020. 880 miles on it when I took it out of his garage. View attachment 197906
Mine looked just like that but black with a wixom fork mounted fairing...I remember it needed leaded premium fuel...How do you handle that now??? It was a great bike good luck with it....Can you still get points for it or can you get a electronic ignition for it???

Mine looked just like that but black with a wixom fork mounted fairing...I remember it needed leaded premium fuel...How do you handle that now??? It was a great bike good luck with it....Can you still get points for it or can you get a electronic ignition for it???
I've been told since it's the lower displacement model it's not much of a problem. I always use 93 octane. I've been considering adding an additional octane booster or finding race fuel. I could also get a 100LL from the airport but I don't drive it enough to worry about it.

My grandfather bought it new in 1974. He passed in 2020. 880 miles on it when I took it out of his garage. View attachment 197906
That thing is a time capsule! Simply beautiful piece of history.
Ride it and enjoy it!

As others have said, I'd stay away from group IV and V lubes. And avoid the harsh flush chemicals like seafoam, etc. What you want is slow, controlled, methodical cleaning to occur.

Consider HPL. They make some excellent engine cleaner; many here have had success with it, as it's ester based. Or, even maybe use their "normal" PCEO synthetic; it's a high-purity group III with esters and ANs. And as the BMW does not have an internal wet clutch to worry about, the whole "energy conserving oil" vs. clutch issue is moot.

I've been told since it's the lower displacement model it's not much of a problem. I always use 93 octane. I've been considering adding an additional octane booster or finding race fuel. I could also get a 100LL from the airport but I don't drive it enough to worry about it.
9.2.to 1...Sometimes mine would knock a little under load so I would add some octane boost to the gas...it helped...

That thing is a time capsule! Simply beautiful piece of history.
Ride it and enjoy it!

As others have said, I'd stay away from group IV and V lubes. And avoid the harsh flush chemicals like seafoam, etc. What you want is slow, controlled, methodical cleaning to occur.

Consider HPL. They make some excellent engine cleaner; many here have had success with it, as it's ester based. Or, even maybe use their "normal" PCEO synthetic; it's a high-purity group III with esters and ANs. And as the BMW does not have an internal wet clutch to worry about, the whole "energy conserving oil" vs. clutch issue is moot.
If a slow clean is preferred, would mixing say a quart of HPL with my usual conventional oil of choice be better?

I would manually clean what you can, and do a quick oil change (50 miles) with plenty of cleaner. Liqui Moly would be my first choice. I suspect most of the problem is oil sitting in the sump, stagnant, degrading and getting exposed to moisture, further degrading the oil. The good news is that there is really no evidence of mechanical problems, so using high-quality, modern oils as a "slow" clean should be fine. With regard to one person's post on "new" oils possibly being a "problem," I suspect that you are pretty safe, although a zinc additive might be appropriate.

Back