changing out power steering fluid soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to change out the power steering fluid soon. I know its a lil over kill (56000miles)but I bought the car almost four months ago and want to change out everything. So power steering next on my list, I will be using a machine for a full flush. My question is the vehicle calls for af3. What if I used af6 valvoline. Would there be any benefit? I like to have everything synthetic. Also redline makes power steering fluid is that just for top offs or can be used for full flush?

Thanks for help

The synthetic fluid may give you better cold weather performance for easier steering. As far as DEX6 working as a replace for DEX3 in p.s......not sure. I believe a Mercon V (usually syn-blend) would be closer to the DEX3 formula. I would call or send a letter to Nissan to see if it's ok. Straight to Nissan USA not the dealership. From my experience local dealers aren't much help when trying to do something like this.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
A machine is not needed at all. ATF+4 is my PSF of choice.

Do you use ATF-4 even in your Accord?

Well reason I'm using machine is because. We just received it at my shop. I think its more efficient than turkey baster method lol

I like to use the baster, the thought of taking a line off and running the risk of a leak later is what bothers me. I guess if I had a shop I might see it your way.

Why do you like ATF+4 for PSF especially?

As fas as power steering fluid, it's just a hydralic oil. The D6 may be ok, but if you want syn fluid, just us Mobil 1. $7.00 a quart at Autozone, and available nationwide. And it's compatible with D-III

Originally Posted By: ET16

Why do you like ATF+4 for PSF especially?

If it happens to be a chrysler product, it's the specified fluid(psf+4 is just atf+4 in a smaller bottle)

I've ran it in most everything, seems to run quieter than most power steering fluid in my experience, aside from honda/acura applications.

Last edited:
If M1 ATF fits your spec I think you will find it's a good PS fluid. I have used it in PS pumps since Mobil first came out with it in the early 90s and have never had a PS pump failure. In cold weather my pumps are quite and don't seem to have leaks with this fluid. I use the turkey baster method of fluid removal and do that ever engine oil change.

jeez, guys, just take the lines off the rack while you're changing your oil.

It's easy and simple, and unless you do something really dumb there's virtually no chance of a leak!

Dex VI said specifically it is compatible as DexIII replacement in transmission only, not power steering.

It is thinner, so you may not get the best result. If you want synthetic stay with synthetic MD3 or whatever they are called these days.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
jeez, guys, just take the lines off the rack while you're changing your oil.

It's easy and simple, and unless you do something really dumb there's virtually no chance of a leak!

The operative word is "dumb".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back