2010 Tacoma Fluids

For a 2010 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Automatic transmission.
What are the proper gear oils for front and rear diffs, transfer case, power steering, and brake fluid?

I'll be using Valvoline Max life ATF in the transmission, that is correct I believe, tell me if wrong.

I have Valvoline VV975 full synthetic 75w90 gear oil, is that good for the diffs and transfer case?

Please don't ask me to look in the owners manual, the lady who owns it bought it used in April 2022, and didn't get it with the truck.

I'm hoping to not have to go to the dealership and pay 7 times to much for it, she isn't rich.

Also does the transmission have a filter I need to also change?

I’ll do you several better than the owners manual. Here’s the combined knowledge from the Tacomaworld forums. Merry Christmas.

IMG_5884.jpeg

Maxlife ATF is recommended by Valvoline for Toyota WS applications, but it doesn’t carry the actual cert.

For what it’s worth I use Maxlife in my Tacoma no problems, seems to be the general consensus online as well.

FYI the only thing wrong with the chart above is the trans drain plug torque spec. It is NOT 21 ft/lbs. torque it to 21 and you’ll be replacing a pan. (Ask me how I know)

Torque it to 15 and call it good.

Last edited:
We did Valvoline 75w90 in my kids axles and transfer case. Easy to just buy one fluid. Will be using Maxlife at the next trans drain and fill

You could get by with the Valvoline ATF, but if you plan to keep this Tacoma long-term (10+ years) I would use OEM trans fluid. It's not that much more and the AT service is infrequent enough to not be a financial burden. I would drop the trans pan at least once and replace the filter & gasket, again only if you plan to keep it long-term.
Be careful, the trans plug torque spec is only 13-14 lb-ft.

You could get by with the Valvoline ATF, but if you plan to keep this Tacoma long-term (10+ years) I would use OEM trans fluid. It's not that much more and the AT service is infrequent enough to not be a financial burden. I would drop the trans pan at least once and replace the filter & gasket, again only if you plan to keep it long-term.
Be careful, the trans plug torque spec is only 13-14 lb-ft.
Second this.

The pan drop/screen replacment isn’t much more work. There is a write up on tacomaworld for how to swap out the full 12 quarts in one go. Not more complicated than a couple oil changes.

I’m a bit overkill but hey why not. My 15 Tacoma I’ve done at least 3 drain and fills. A full flush with Maxlife. Now I’m using Amsoil SS blue cap ATF and added a deeper pan…just because, lol. 131K and shifts great.

Back